PDA

View Full Version : 180 Degrees South - Has anyone else seen this movie?

Sarcasm the elf
10-02-2011, 20:12
Has anyone else see the movie 180 Degrees South? I stumbled upon it last night on Netflix. Even though it's about mountaineering and surfing (among other deeper subjects) and not about backpacking, I think that it is now tied with Wizards of the PCT as my favorite outdoor/adventure documentary.

http://www.180south.com/

Check it out if you haven't seen it yet. It's available netflix streaming.

Mayhugh
10-02-2011, 20:21
Yes, that is a great documentary. I'm always finding new movies that I wouldn't ever see if it wasn't for Netflix streaming. Have you checked out the NatGeo special on The Appalachian Trail?

Sarcasm the elf
10-02-2011, 20:34
Yes, that is a great documentary. I'm always finding new movies that I wouldn't ever see if it wasn't for Netflix streaming. Have you checked out the NatGeo special on The Appalachian Trail?

I watched the Nat Geo a couple years back on cable. I liked it for what it was, but it really left something to be desired. I think it would have served them better if it included a synopsis of what it's like day in and day out for a length of time. I think it played out as more of a highlights reel than an an accurate showing of what trail life is like...then again maybe the folks at Nat Geo know their target audience better than I do.

Rasty
10-03-2011, 17:17
180 south was great. I have been surfing kayaking for twenty years. I do miss the kayaking products Patagonia used to sell. Patagonia is a much different company now that Yvonne is not as involved.

erichkopp
10-05-2011, 20:50
180* South is one of those movies I can watch over and over again. I think just about everyone on WB would appreciate it.

bus
10-06-2011, 21:07
Saw it today...very cool.

Sarcasm the elf
12-31-2013, 00:43
Bump.

The read about Ride The Divide reminded me of how much I also liked 180 Degrees South. Great outdoors documentary and generally one of those movies that always seems to make me feel a little better about humanity.

Marta
12-31-2013, 01:38
180 Degrees South was the movie Netflix recommended to me because I watched Ride the Divide. I enjoyed it, of course.

An enjoyable way to spend some of these long, winter evenings.

nickgann
12-31-2013, 09:11
Fantastic movie...those old dudes know how to live man.

winger
12-31-2013, 09:21
Excellent movie. Brought back lots of memories from my surfing days.

Mags
12-31-2013, 18:36
I enjoyed the movie as well. Love Chouinard's quote about climbing Everest. It can apply to any outdoor endeavor (esp thru-hiking)

"The whole purpose of climbing something like Everest is to effect some sort of spiritual and physical gain. But if you compromise the process you’re an a*****e when you start out and an a*****e when you get back.”

I don't think Chouindard had say "purity" in mind, but rather how the journey is approached.

If climbing a big mountain is about getting a tick mark on your TO DO list, then it is probably not going to be transformative process.

Likewise, if thru-hiking a long trail (or going for a Triple Crown) is about bragging rights, more-than-likely it ain't gonna change your outlook on life.

Studlintsean
12-31-2013, 18:52
I watched this documentary a few months back and thought it was awesome.

rangeley
12-31-2013, 19:17
Yes awesome documentary, I'd recommend it to any adventurer. Thanks for reminding me about it, it deserves to be seen again.

FooFighter'12
12-31-2013, 19:46
Both Ride The Divide and 180 Degrees South are great documentaries. Another good one on Netflix is River of No Return. That one makes me want to do some backpacking in Idaho. Check it out.

Marta
12-31-2013, 21:51
Both Ride The Divide and 180 Degrees South are great documentaries. Another good one on Netflix is River of No Return. That one makes me want to do some backpacking in Idaho. Check it out.

Agreed--that's a good one, too. FWIW, if the seasons are roughly the same there as here, don't go in July. The mosquitoes are unbearable. I can't imagine spending the whole mosquito season hiking and tent camping.

Ewok11
01-02-2014, 22:32
180 Degrees South stays in our Netflix queue. I watched Ride the Divide a while back and then watched it again with my husband. Sometimes we both have those nights where we just need to escape from the day to day but can't physically do so. Now, we'll have to add River of No Return to the list. Thanks!!

Nodust
01-03-2014, 00:04
I saw it a few days ago and put on my list. May watch it tonight.

Thanks

Mr. Bumpy
01-03-2014, 00:18
Try "Long Way Down" and "Long Way Round"