PDA

View Full Version : Canister Stoves...Blast Off or East Does It?

smokedog
02-25-2005, 16:09
I've often wondered which method is more fuel efficient, using a canister stove such as the Pocket Rocket, in bringing water to a boil. Should you open it up full blast or back off and bring the temperature up slowly?

Footslogger
02-25-2005, 16:16
I've often wondered which method is more fuel efficient, using a canister stove such as the Pocket Rocket, in bringing water to a boil. Should you open it up full blast or back off and bring the temperature up slowly?=========================================== ==
When I use a cannister stove I tend to go more with the full blast approach, unless of course I'm trying to simmer something. You have to be sure that all (or at least the majority) of the heat being generated is concentrated on the bottom of the cook pot and not escaping around the sides.

'Slogger

hiker5
02-25-2005, 17:04
I don't have a canister stove but perhaps someone who does could conduct a some testing.

Weigh the canister, boil 2 cups water at full blast, weigh canister, boil 2 cups water at half power, weigh canister, boil 2 cups water very low power, weigh canister.

Some quick math should tell you which method used less fuel. Of course you would likely need a fairly sensitive scale.

bulldog49
02-25-2005, 17:06
Don't need a test, the answer is blast-off.

Nightwalker
02-25-2005, 18:33
I've often wondered which method is more fuel efficient, using a canister stove such as the Pocket Rocket, in bringing water to a boil. Should you open it up full blast or back off and bring the temperature up slowly?
My stove recommends to open 'er up 3/4 of a turn, but they want to sell me more fuel, right? I use about 1/2 turn and the fuel lasts much longer. :cool:

Nightwalker
02-25-2005, 18:35
Don't need a test, the answer is blast-off.
We've apparently came at this from different directions. Why do you think the blast-off method is best? Just wondering.

Kerosene
02-25-2005, 19:08
Backpackinglight.com just ran a series on stove comparisons. They noted that several canister stoves used more fuel to boil a quart of water with the blast-off method.

SGT Rock
02-25-2005, 21:34
Backpackinglight.com just ran a series on stove comparisons. They noted that several canister stoves used more fuel to boil a quart of water with the blast-off method.

Based on my alcohol stove tests I would agree. Since BLAST OFF usually sends more heat off into the air than transfers into the pot, you are basically wasting energy, and fuel is your energy. I am sure the air around the pot appreciates getting a little free energy from the BLAST OFF proponents.

Kerosene
02-26-2005, 11:23
The gear review notes that using a moderate flame reduced fuel consumption an average of 27%.

Also, when using a moderate flame under calm conditions, the fuel efficiency to boil 1 quart of water for some of the stoves was as good as the efficiency of the Jetboil.

Finally, in support of Sgt. Rock's hypothesis, boiling 1 quart of water used about 10% less fuel compared to boiling 1 pint of water at a time.

bulldog49
02-26-2005, 14:41
In retrospect, I guess it depends on the width of your pot. Mine is a bit wide and when I open up my Giga the flame barely hits the edge. I also use a wind screen that directs heat up the side of the pot.