PDA

View Full Version : Marmot driclime: why is it shorter in the front than the back?

Hosaphone
10-03-2011, 01:32
I just sort of wore out my first Driclime after wearing it pretty much every waking hour of every day from September -> April for the past 2 years. (I caught my elbow on something and finally ripped a hole in it... Still wearing it every day though...).

My only reservation in buying a new one, and it seems small and stupid, but why the heck is the front shorter than the back? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to fashion sense - is it a big fashion faux pas to have your t-shirt sticking out the bottom of the front of your jacket but not the back? It just feels wrong, and I've been thinking about it for 2 years but I can't come up with a good reason to have the back be longer.

I'm looking into the "driclime original" and the catalyst, which seem to have a normal cut at the bottom, but both of these jackets seem to be harder to find.

Hosaphone
10-03-2011, 01:37
Just had the thought, I guess I could just tuck my shirt in if I was so concerned...

aaronthebugbuffet
10-03-2011, 03:00
When bending over your lower back will not get exposed or catch a draft.

johnnyblisters
10-03-2011, 07:32
AKA Tramp stamp hiding feature...

garlic08
10-03-2011, 09:06
I'm a bicyclist too and most bicycling jackets have that feature, so maybe there's a connection there. I hardly every wear my Driclime cycling (because my new one is black and my old one is dark grey) so it didn't make much sense to me either, but it's minor thing and I overlook it.

garlic08
10-03-2011, 09:07
AKA Tramp stamp hiding feature...

Or maybe they're marketed to plumbers, too.

sbhikes
10-03-2011, 10:22
Yes, it is so that when you are bent over, like on a bicycle, your back won't be exposed. It's actually a good feature. If you don't like it, you can always try to find another lightweight jacket that doesn't have this feature. Or you could modify the jacket.

4eyedbuzzard
10-03-2011, 11:24
AKA Tramp stamp hiding feature...aka target supression

Or maybe they're marketed to plumbers, too.cracking good joke

When bending over your lower back will not get exposed or catch a draft.

and as an added bonus it keeps people from putting cold coins in your coin slot too.

Hosaphone
10-03-2011, 13:46
I guess it's not so much that I dislike the extra length in the back, it's that I wish it was a bit longer in the front because I like my shirts to come down at least a little ways beyond the waistband of my pants. I could size up but my current size really fits like a glove otherwise.

Thanks though, I'm glad to know it at least has some purpose. I've been wondering about it forever!

mirabela
10-03-2011, 16:09
who cares ... it's still the best piece of clothing ever manufactured ...

Jeff
10-03-2011, 18:25
I'm wearing mine right now.

Years ago they discontinued the version with the built in hood. Anyone got an old one to sell me???

txag
10-04-2011, 00:39
Generally shorter in front than in back so you can put your hands in your pocket while wearing a climbing harness. No interference and actually works pretty well if you have ever had this problem.