PDA

View Full Version : how long to break in boots?

elytis
10-03-2011, 14:58
Hey Guys,

I have never actually owned a pair of good hiking boots as I have always just worn my running sneakers on the trail with no issues. I recently purchased my first pair of boots and was wondering, about how long does it take to break them in? I ask because I was planning to do the CT section of the AT this coming week and wanted to make sure I didn't get massive blisters from them.

Thanks

Ender
10-03-2011, 15:03
Depends on the type of boot. Full leather? A while, a month or more of steady wear. Fabric? Not as long, a week or two.

Question, if the sneakers work for you, why are you switching to boots? You might want to consider just sticking with the sneakers until the boots are a broken in.

Blissful
10-03-2011, 15:10
Question, if the sneakers work for you, why are you switching to boots? You might want to consider just sticking with the sneakers until the boots are a broken in.

Agree with this. No need for boots on the AT, esp if your pack weight is reasonable

Spokes
10-03-2011, 15:22
Full leather traditional hiking boots are dinosaurs nowadays. Most modern hiking boot construction follows the process used in trail runner design so break in isn't too much of an issue anymore. Of course everyone's feet are different so you'll have to experiment till you find your sweet spot in footwear.

No need for boots on the AT? Hmmm........ I disagree and take the position that you choose what works best for you.

Cheers!

ekeverette
10-03-2011, 15:29
did 100 miles last week in vasque boots, my feet hurt so damn bad i can hardly walk. next time taking trail type sneakers... lite and alot of cushion... trust me!

elytis
10-03-2011, 15:31
My sneakers are dead at this point but I will still wear them out and around. I figured that boots/hiking shoes would be better for my feet than old dead sneakers and rather than buy a new pair of sneakers only to get them covered in dirt and grime from a week on the trail, I would just boots that I would only take hiking.

elytis
10-03-2011, 15:32
that and I am hoping the boots will be slightly more waterproof than 80% mesh sneakers.

PapaGarrettP
10-03-2011, 15:38
Earlier this year I bought a pair of North Face Vindicator low rise boots. They have a lot of composite material (read: non-leather) and were very comfortable in the store. I took them on a 10 mile hike on flat ground with a light pack -- no problems. Over the next several months I hiked once a week, on progressively longer trails with a pack. Then, after the training period ended, hiked from Sam's Gap to Davenport Gap over a period of about a week. The boots never gave me any trouble. The punchline is that all of my life I have had to break in my feet together with my boots and have suffered innumerable blisters. Maybe the manufacturers have finally figured out how to construct a boot that needs little traditional "breaking in."

Tipi Walter
10-03-2011, 16:00
Full leather traditional hiking boots are dinosaurs nowadays. Most modern hiking boot construction follows the process used in trail runner design so break in isn't too much of an issue anymore. Of course everyone's feet are different so you'll have to experiment till you find your sweet spot in footwear.

No need for boots on the AT? Hmmm........ I disagree and take the position that you choose what works best for you.

Cheers!

Full leather boots are still popular in the backpacking world, just look how many people wear the Asolo 520's. The biggest problem I see with the light trail shoes is poor tread soles and sliding. Good boots usually have lug soles and will grip very well, important when carrying some real world weight.

Hey Guys,

I have never actually owned a pair of good hiking boots as I have always just worn my running sneakers on the trail with no issues. I recently purchased my first pair of boots and was wondering, about how long does it take to break them in? I ask because I was planning to do the CT section of the AT this coming week and wanted to make sure I didn't get massive blisters from them.

Thanks

For Limmer full leather boots---it takes a long while to break them in. For modern composite glued sole boots like Asolo it takes no time at all.

hikerboy57
10-03-2011, 16:27
Most of the boots Ive bought havent needed much break in at all. My keens were good straight out of the box, as were my Lowa renegades.
I sold shoes some 35 yrs ago, and , personally, I would never trust a shoe or boot to "break in".if it doesnt feel right to begin with, chances are pretty good it never will.For me, the key to minimizing blisters has always been proper sizing, to have a snug fit in the heel, and enough room in the toebox to prevent your toes from hitting the front of the boot on downhills.

Hosaphone
10-03-2011, 16:39
that and I am hoping the boots will be slightly more waterproof than 80% mesh sneakers.

Footwear is a super personal thing, but imo the more mesh the better... When it rains for a week straight your feet are going to be soaked no matter what you do. At least with light mesh shoes your feet can breathe better and will dry out more quickly when they get the chance. I have some hiking shoes that are mostly leather that take days to dry out after they get wet.

Waterproof/resistant shoes/boots are amazing for dayhiking or for short trips where you can realistically keep your feet from getting wet, but the problem is that once they get wet they tend to be more miserable and they tend to stay that way for longer.

Some people on here might laugh but one of the only luxury items I bring is a 3oz pair of waterproof socks. They're a nice way to keep your feet dry when you really want to (ie slogging through 2 inches of slush), but still have shoes that breathe really well and dry out quickly the rest of the time.

Just my experience. I know some will disagree.

Full leather boots are still popular in the backpacking world, just look how many people wear the Asolo 520's. The biggest problem I see with the light trail shoes is poor tread soles and sliding. Good boots usually have lug soles and will grip very well, important when carrying some real world weight.

This is the biggest problem with just wearing the sneakers you wear every day - more than likely they won't have the greatest soles/treads and you'll have trouble on those slick wet rocks.

max patch
10-03-2011, 16:50
I figured that boots/hiking shoes would be better for my feet than old dead sneakers and rather than buy a new pair of sneakers only to get them covered in dirt and grime from a week on the trail, I would just boots that I would only take hiking.

I always have 2 pairs of trail runners that keep in rotation. One is strictly for hiking; the other is for when I run on the road/run on the high school track/wear to the Y.

I started doing this when I wore the shoes I had been hiking in to the Y and tracked a bunch of dirt into the building.

MuddyWaters
10-03-2011, 22:37
Some people love boots, why, I dont know. I think they are just brainwashed, or nostalgic for 1975. Why not just get a monstruos external frame pack, some daisy-duke cutoff shorts, load pack to 60 lbs, and complete the excercise in nostalgia.

Yes they offer some ankle protection. If you are walking ankle deep in rocks. Some are fairly lightweight and could be acceptable. But many are ridiculously heavy.

An ounce on your feet is like a couple lb on your back. It will take its toll. Lighter is definitely better.

Ankle support is a myth, there is no such thing. More twisted ankles occur with persons wearing boots because they lose feel of the trail underfoot, or so Im told. Maybe its because they are carrying that massive external frame pack with the 60 lb load too.

Boots are usually more cushy. Which means padding. Which means absorb water. Which means slow to dry. Gore-tex means verrrrryyy sloooowww tooooo drryyyyy. = wont dry at all while being worn.

Waterproof boots are only good if you arent going to cross water more than 5" deep, and never plan to walk in the rain. They dont let water in, but they also DONT LET IT OUT. Squish, Squish, Squish.

If you had something that worked well, why change it?

Break in is a two way street. The shoe molds to your foot, and your foot adapts to the shoe. Even with a good fit, to be truly broken in may take a week or two of daily wear. You want to insure you have no hot spots, irritated areas, etc that could crop up after extended wear. Comfort issues will show up in long days on your feet , that wont if you just wear them a couple hours at a time.

DavidNH
10-03-2011, 22:52
On my thru.. I wore boots mostly but tried sneakers/trail runners for a section from NJ into Vermont. they were fine when dry. Soon as my feet got wet in the mud and puddles of Mass and Vermont, I had the worst foot pain ever. at the Inn at the Long Trail my runners went into the dumpster. I went to Rutland to get boots I used for rest of trip.