PDA

View Full Version : what to do when you need to upchuck

hikerboy57
10-03-2011, 15:47
LNT has established guidelines for human waste, but does this include vomit?Are you allowed to vomit within 200 ft of trails and campgrounds? can you vomit above treeline in the Whites?Can you vomit in a privy?should you pack it out or bury it in a cathole?How far from a shelter should you be should the bile begin to rise?If youre in a shelter, is it appropriate to ask other hikers if they mind while you puke?should it be put in a bear bag?do shelter mice like vomit?
I have so many questions, it makes my stomach turn.:confused:

Tipi Walter
10-03-2011, 15:55
I've hurled several times on various backpacking trips---all due to food poisoning or foul water ingestion. Puked four times near Mt Rogers after drinking tainted cow water. Miserable night. Puked thru the night in the tent vestibule. One time I ate some bad brazil nuts and puked. Another time I ate some fetid vegetarian chili and hurled in a 360 spray. The worst is when you both hurl and squirt feces at the same exact time. Welcome to planet earth.

theoilman
10-03-2011, 16:00
When you gotta, it's going to happen, no matter where!

daddytwosticks
10-03-2011, 16:10
Puked on the trail climbing out of Stecoah Gap...think it was the climb up Jacob's Ladder. What a waste of a Wesser Burger! :)

WingedMonkey
10-03-2011, 16:12
I try and wait until I am in New York.

Tipi Walter
10-03-2011, 16:16
Puked on the trail climbing out of Stecoah Gap...think it was the climb up Jacob's Ladder. What a waste of a Wesser Burger! :)

Now that's the best place to puke if ya gotta puke. It's the fight or flight response---you hurl to lighten the load. BTW, I heard the notoriously stiff climb has been switchbacked recently? Is this true?

virgil
10-03-2011, 17:10
In my opinion, in this situation, you should get off the trail, away from the shelter including the privy, away from any water sources of course, as far as away as you can, 200-300' if possible, then hurl away. It's unpleasant, unfortunate, and in the heat of the moment, sometimes unavoidable. Get as far away from other people, places and things as you can, then get it over with. If you can cover it or bury it with leaves and dirt, that's a nice finishing touch. As penance, be especially careful with all your other LNT efforts.

-SEEKER-
10-03-2011, 19:54
In my opinion, in this situation, you should get off the trail, away from the shelter including the privy, away from any water sources of course, as far as away as you can, 200-300' if possible, then hurl away. It's unpleasant, unfortunate, and in the heat of the moment, sometimes unavoidable. Get as far away from other people, places and things as you can, then get it over with. If you can cover it or bury it with leaves and dirt, that's a nice finishing touch. As penance, be especially careful with all your other LNT efforts.

Sounds very reasonable to me.

Slo-go'en
10-03-2011, 20:23
Be carefull if you have dentures. Some guy staying at Gray Knob while I was caretaker had too much to drink and went out side for something. He ended up puking and lost his teeth between some big rocks. I do belive 20+ years later, they are still down there...

ekeverette
10-03-2011, 20:28
this is crazy

Sierra Echo
10-03-2011, 20:36
Should you leave the trail to fart? Remember that will leave traces of methane!

hikerboy57
10-03-2011, 20:45
Should you leave the trail to fart? Remember that will leave traces of methane!always carry matches!!

4eyedbuzzard
10-03-2011, 20:46
Should you leave the trail to fart? Remember that will leave traces of methane!Nah, just light it and boil up some water for ramen. Or if it's a real big one, face in the direction of travel and light 'er off. Brings new meaning to the term blue blazing.

Sierra Echo
10-03-2011, 20:46
always carry matches!!

Burning down the forest leaves a HUGE trace!!!

4eyedbuzzard
10-03-2011, 20:47
Be carefull if you have dentures. Some guy staying at Gray Knob while I was caretaker had too much to drink and went out side for something. He ended up puking and lost his teeth between some big rocks. I do belive 20+ years later, they are still down there...It's denture week here at WB.

hikerboy57
10-03-2011, 20:54
It's denture week here at WB.Its actually the denture post that inspired me, after reading that every possible question has now been answered on WB. I thought"no puke?"
PS remember to floss

Tipi Walter
10-03-2011, 20:57
It's denture week here at WB.

I,Plateman

Hooch
10-03-2011, 21:00
But what if the puke is used for good, like to extinguish a campfire? :rolleyes:

Tipi Walter
10-03-2011, 21:24
But what if the puke is used for good, like to extinguish a campfire? :rolleyes:

I have used human stool for good, so I'm sure puke can be used for good. If so, does it leave a trace?

kolokolo
10-03-2011, 21:27
To truly follow LNT, you would have to have your ziplock handy and puke into that.

Then, pack it out.

Tipi Walter
10-03-2011, 21:40
To truly follow LNT, you would have to have your ziplock handy and puke into that.

Then, pack it out.

Or recook it for a hearty meal.

4eyedbuzzard
10-03-2011, 21:41

Then, pack it out.And then leaving it in a hiker box would add yet another element of discovery to hiking

http://woollymutts.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c17c453ef0120a7c36f3e970b-320wi

Tipi Walter
10-03-2011, 22:08
And then leaving it in a hiker box would add yet another element of discovery to hiking

http://woollymutts.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c17c453ef0120a7c36f3e970b-320wi

This may of been the bag of vomit I left at Cable Gap. It's fun being a trail angel.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/7/3/1/735025/TRIP-95-071.jpg

Packing out your own stool is a no-brainer too.

Ha Ha Ha. Actually it's summer sausage from Two Speed's food stash. Fooled ya.

Skidsteer
10-03-2011, 22:27
Now that's the best place to puke if ya gotta puke. It's the fight or flight response---you hurl to lighten the load. BTW, I heard the notoriously stiff climb has been switchbacked recently? Is this true?

Nope.

LNT has established guidelines for human waste, but does this include vomit?Are you allowed to vomit within 200 ft of trails and campgrounds? can you vomit above treeline in the Whites?Can you vomit in a privy?should you pack it out or bury it in a cathole?How far from a shelter should you be should the bile begin to rise?If youre in a shelter, is it appropriate to ask other hikers if they mind while you puke?should it be put in a bear bag?do shelter mice like vomit?
I have so many questions, it makes my stomach turn.:confused:

Just don't ralph in yout tent.

Sierra Echo
10-03-2011, 23:08

Have you ever seen the tv show "A 1000 ways to die"?
They had a story about this biker who robbed a bank in Montana and made off on his Harley. He was out camping in the middle of nowhere when he ran out of vodka. Well he wanted some more but knew he couldnt go to a store because at that point, his face would be recognized from the robbery. So he decided that since vodka had ethonol in it and gasoline did as well it would just as good. So he siphons gas out of his gas tank and drinks that. He starts throwing up everywhere, and leans over and barfs up some of the gas on the bonfire. A big huge flame went up and barbequed him!

Hooch
10-03-2011, 23:34
Have you ever seen the tv show "A 1000 ways to die"?
They had a story about this biker who robbed a bank in Montana and made off on his Harley. He was out camping in the middle of nowhere when he ran out of vodka. Well he wanted some more but knew he couldnt go to a store because at that point, his face would be recognized from the robbery. So he decided that since vodka had ethonol in it and gasoline did as well it would just as good. So he siphons gas out of his gas tank and drinks that. He starts throwing up everywhere, and leans over and barfs up some of the gas on the bonfire. A big huge flame went up and barbequed him!Natural selection at its finest! :banana

tweezer159
10-03-2011, 23:48
Funny that you ask this. Last night i was camping in Delaware Water Gap at backpacker #2, and my dog puked right by the bear box. I cleaned it up the best that I could and packed it out. I wasn't sure if it was necessary, but it was mostly undigested dog food and I didn't want to leave it there. If it had been my own vomit, I doubt if I would have done it right by the bear box, and I doubt if I would have packed it out.

D

Traildog & Tbone
10-04-2011, 00:01
So glad to find WB can answer all my thru hiking questions! Ya'll crack me up.

daddytwosticks
10-04-2011, 07:18
Next week we talk about picking scabs....:)

bpitt
10-04-2011, 07:33
Wait, someone mentioned in an above post that puking would lighten the load. So, has barfing become a new ultralight method??

hikerboy57
10-04-2011, 07:35
Whiteblaze does not condone bulimia as an official UL technique, but also says HYOH.

-SEEKER-
10-04-2011, 09:16
This is getting too gross. For me puking is contagious like yawning.

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2011, 10:01
14022Heres's how to upchuck - first use this Natural High Peasant Omelet and make it in the bag - eat entire contents, stand for a little while - now move closer to the front of the shelter.... face the others, put your finger down your throat... Make damn sure they are looking - Now Puke.

Important! Make sure folks are downwind and they get a good whiff of the vomit- folks like that...!

Oh damn - I thought this was the Humor Section again.... Tisk.

hikerboy57
10-04-2011, 10:10
does vomit attract bears?

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2011, 10:13
No bears required - sort of looks like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU_4hTtcYV4

mudhead
10-04-2011, 11:05
In California, they smear their ralph on a rock.

wornoutboots
10-04-2011, 11:25
In my opinion, in this situation, you should get off the trail, away from the shelter including the privy, away from any water sources of course, as far as away as you can, 200-300' if possible, then hurl away. It's unpleasant, unfortunate, and in the heat of the moment, sometimes unavoidable. Get as far away from other people, places and things as you can, then get it over with. If you can cover it or bury it with leaves and dirt, that's a nice finishing touch. As penance, be especially careful with all your other LNT efforts. What if it's the Privy that had given you the SUDDEN urge to Hurl :) that could have easily happen to me recently at Groundhog Creek

Old Hiker
10-04-2011, 16:43
Or recook it for a hearty meal.

Shouldn't it already be warmed up for ya?