PDA

View Full Version : South Term Options for NOBO

oldnevada
10-03-2011, 21:21
hello thread!

Is the Pine Cobble Trail approach to Seth Warner shorter, gentler on the knees for starting out than the N. Adams approach? On the topo map they kind of look the same, but I notice some NOBO's start at Cobble Trail. thanx, Gar

4eyedbuzzard
10-03-2011, 21:46
Don't leave a vehicle in the Pine Cobble Trail parking area. Ours was broken into this summer. Others have reported similar problems as well. Local (Williamstown) police patrol only once a day and while polite, don't seem too concerned about actually preventing or apprehending any bad guys.

oldnevada
10-03-2011, 21:55
Don't leave a vehicle in the Pine Cobble Trail parking area. Ours was broken into this summer. Others have reported similar problems as well. Local (Williamstown) police patrol only once a day and while polite, don't seem too concerned about actually preventing or apprehending any bad guys.

thanx for the heads-up re: vehicle. I'm being dropped off so I'm only leaving foot prints. It's my knees I'm concerned about as I have to take them with me:-?. Gar

pedxing
01-04-2012, 12:09
Pine Cobble is the easier route - overall and on the knees. I'm 95% sure there is a short cut off Pine Cobble, maybe someone who is 100% will say something.

StubbleJumper
01-04-2012, 21:03
Pine Cobble is not really very rugged, but it is a heck of a climb with a fully loaded pack. I don't know of any short cut from Pine Cobble to the AT/LT, but once you get to the top of the ridge, it's easy sailing and there's no need for any short cut.

Chaco Taco
01-04-2012, 22:57
According to the GMC Long Trail Map the Pine Cobble is .5 mile shorter than the AT. The elevation gain looks to be around 1800 feet from Williamstown. The spur trail up Pine Cobble is supposed to have a nice view according to the GMC guidebook

Mountain Mike
01-04-2012, 23:10
According to the GMC Long Trail Map the Pine Cobble is .5 mile shorter than the AT. The elevation gain looks to be around 1800 feet from Williamstown. The spur trail up Pine Cobble is supposed to have a nice view according to the GMC guidebook

Thought your hike was just going to be northern section of LT this year. Wondering about the reasearch. You swithcing to a thru? If so coll. Either way Have a great hike.

Chaco Taco
01-04-2012, 23:29
Thought your hike was just going to be northern section of LT this year. Wondering about the reasearch. You swithcing to a thru? If so coll. Either way Have a great hike.
Yea I am going to go either SOBO or NOBO but prob NOBO. I have the E2E Guide, Map and Long Trail guidebook. The guidebook is good for a way to calculate how many miles that can be done through each section and some side trails into towns. All are great resources, will only carry the E2E and map

Comet Omega
01-06-2012, 18:02
I went up Pine Cobble Trail in September and there was a family with small children hiking up it. It is a good little climb, but not too terribly bad. I remember a trail coming in from the left a good distance up, but not sure where it starts. A nice "cairn" grove awaits you at the top right before you get to the AT. I started at the parking lot where my friend dropped me off. A Sgt. with N. Adams Police Department was patrolling and came by and told us about all the problems with break ins there. He was real nice and obviously they have a problem with the youths helping themselves to folks property, but they clearly can't stay there all the time.

oldnevada
05-31-2012, 01:18
Thanks all for the head's-up re: Pine Cobble!! Gar