PDA

View Full Version : Hiking "toughest" section of Shenandoah Natl Park (Oct 7-10)

joshuasdad
10-04-2011, 09:30
Edit: Dates are going to change -- going up to near DWG (for some rocks...) this weekend instead. Might do this in November.

----

Well, at least the longest section. "Toughest" section was likely near Mary's Rock/Big Meadows in the snow/sleet last weekend.

SOBO from Swift Run Gap to Rockfish Gap (44.8 miles).

Friday night: hike to camping site or Hightop Hut (bringing a head lamp and maybe a bear bell...).
Saturday: hike to Loft Mountain Campground (about 15 miles) -- resupply (Blackberry milkshakes?)
Sunday: 15-20 miles to campsite or Calf Mountain shelter
Monday: Relatively short hike in morning to Rockfish Gap and (hopefully share) shuttle back to Swift Run Gap.

Any advice on itinerary would be appreciated. If interested in coming, let me know. I can provide a ride from the DC metro area.

"Forty-two" (x 5)

Katie
10-06-2011, 00:19
Edit: Dates are going to change -- going up to near DWG (for some rocks...) this weekend instead. Might do this in November.

----

Well, at least the longest section. "Toughest" section was likely near Mary's Rock/Big Meadows in the snow/sleet last weekend.

SOBO from Swift Run Gap to Rockfish Gap (44.8 miles).

Friday night: hike to camping site or Hightop Hut (bringing a head lamp and maybe a bear bell...).
Saturday: hike to Loft Mountain Campground (about 15 miles) -- resupply (Blackberry milkshakes?)
Sunday: 15-20 miles to campsite or Calf Mountain shelter
Monday: Relatively short hike in morning to Rockfish Gap and (hopefully share) shuttle back to Swift Run Gap.

Any advice on itinerary would be appreciated. If interested in coming, let me know. I can provide a ride from the DC metro area.

"Forty-two" (x 5)

HI
If you are going to do this in November, I would be interested. I usually do about 15 miles per day, less if a lot of steep. Let me know what your plans are.
Katie

joshuasdad
10-06-2011, 20:50
I may move the SNP hike to Nov 10 to Nov 13 (Friday, Nov 11 is Veterans Day). Unfortunately, the Loft Mountain wayside (resupply) closes November 6, and the campground is closed as well, so might be "roughing it" a bit more than I expected. But it is Shenandoah, and as long as the weather is better than last weekend, it should still be relatively easy.

Feel free to contact me if interested.