PDA

View Full Version : Gear Question for Thanksgiving Weekend - Approach Trail to Neels Gap

SoFlHiker
10-04-2011, 10:04
I am in the planning stages of a section hike over the Thanksgiving holiday, I know it is still early to predict the weather, but would a 30 degree bag and light down jacket be sufficient in late November?

max patch
10-04-2011, 10:26
Probably, but with a 30 I'd definitely check the weather forecast before you head out. It was down to the mid 30s this weekend in the area you are hiking - and you are going 6 weeks later in the season.

Personally, I'd take a 20, but historically speaking you should be ok with a 30 and jacket more often than not.

Moose2001
10-04-2011, 11:10
I'd have to ask what kind of bag you're thinking of using. If it's a cheap Walmart 30 degree bag, I'd say you'll be cold and uncomfortable. If it's a high quailty down bag, you should be OK.

SoFlHiker
10-04-2011, 11:21
The bag i have is a Mtn Hardware Phantom 32 it is several years old but in good condition, and my jacket is a FF Hyperion. I have never really worn the jacket in the sleeping bag, but i guess i could try it out tonight and see if it is not to tight and compress the down..thanks

bigcranky
10-04-2011, 19:09
The Phantom is a pretty good bag - my wife had one as her first lightweight bag. It did seem to have some thin spots, though maybe that was just her individual bag. I used it one night well below freezing, with a down jacket and a warm pad, and it was fine. BTW the sleeping pad does make a big difference in warmth. Some people overlook that. If you bring expedition weight long johns, warm socks, and a warm hat to sleep in, you will likely be fine. Or at least survive will all your fingers and toes, I hope.

That said, mid-November is generally when I switch over to my winter bag. Thanksgiving week in the Southern Appalachians can get pretty cold. The 5-day forecast should help. Try this one for the mountains:

http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

Click the location name for more details, including a link to the NOAA point forecast. Looks like Springer is going to be warm all this week.

PapaGarrettP
10-05-2011, 10:54
My son and I are doing what looks like a very similar trip from Saturday - Wednesday of Turkey week, but in the opposite direction; we are driving up from So. Fla. We are taking 20 degree down bags with silk liners. The possibility of temps down to the teens has me thinking I may be sleeping in my long johns even with the bag I am taking.

Have you been able to get any good info on the water situation that time of year?

scope
10-05-2011, 11:50
Yes, if you make sure to warm yourself getting in. Don't wear the jacket in the bag, drape it over you where its most needed (feet?). Use a hot water bottle along your femoral artery (inside of thigh) and you should be fine. Will likely be around or a little below 30 for lows, but as others have said, your bag should be OK for that. There's always the possibility, though, that it could be in the teens. Probably not.

Lyte-w8-hyker
10-05-2011, 12:55
How many days does it take to do that section, I'd possbily like to get out that weekend too we could slpit the cost of a shuttle back to the park from neels gap if your interested.