PDA

View Full Version : REI coming to town

sbhikes
10-04-2011, 11:17
We are getting an REI in my town soon. I've been getting emails from some of their employees because I have a website about local hiking. They make vague talk about ways we can "work together" but I don't know what that really means. I have only shopped at REI a couple of times so I'm not really familiar with the company. I have mostly homemade and ultralight gear and usually buy my clothing at thrift stores so I'm like they're worst nightmare of a customer anyway. I'm curious what "working together" means to them. They said something about clinics or something, whatever that means. Does anybody have any experience with REI coming to town? And no, I'm not going to work for them. I'm not in retail.

sbhikes
10-04-2011, 11:18
Sorry, that's "their" worst nightmare, not "they're". I hate it when people do that.

Rain Man
10-04-2011, 11:51
REI came to Nashville and has been great. They are really community conscious and support (financially and otherwise) some very fine local environmental projects. Also, they open their "community room" to local groups and speakers for meetings. I use them for that regularly.

They are about to open a new REI in my "home town" of Greenville, SC. Can't wait to get to visit it the next time I'm down there visiting family. REI is a great member of any community. And it's a co-op, not one more soul-less corporation.

I'm biased. Have been a member since 1976 and my middle daughter worked at three REIs (Colorado Springs, Nashville, and Bend, Oregon). :)

Rain:sunMan

Shutterbug
10-04-2011, 11:52
Sorry, that's "their" worst nightmare, not "they're". I hate it when people do that.

I am a long-time member of REI and have visited several REI stores. All of them seek to sponosor activities that build community among their members. Among other things, they sponsor hikes. They recruit people from the local community to act as guides.

They also hold seminars that are useful for people who want to learn. The seminars vary from the very basics to advanced. For example, they have classes on how to use a compass with a map, but they also have classes on how to use advanced gps units. The lecturers tend to be people who have real-life experience in the topics they teach.

I assume that when they say "work together", they mean that they want to provide support and encouragement to local hiking organizations, not compete with them. I have noticed that a number of the REI activities are cosponsored by local outdoor organizations.

REI tends to carry high quality gear for all kinds of outdoor activities. They are not a discount store. They service what they sell and guarantee your satisfaction. I was in an REI store last week, when a customer asked the sales rep about what to do if the igniter on his Jet Boil stops working. The sales rep replied, "Bring it in. If I can't fix it, I will give your money back or give you a new one."

Odd Man Out
10-04-2011, 12:37

I have a bad habit of correcting other people's grammar mistakes.
I like people like you.
THEY'RE THERE to correct THEIR mistakes.
And "2" has more than TWO spellings TO mess you up TOO.

Buffalo Skipper
10-04-2011, 12:50
I am a bit of a grammar nerd also, and I am very particular about "then" and "than" as well as "effect" and "affect."

My high school English teacher once told the class: "Prepositions don't just hang out at the end of a sentence like some hooker on a street corner, waiting to pick up a noun." (I will never forget that as long as I live! :))

But to the point of your thread.
If you diy much of your gear, the backpack section of REI won't do you much good. If you thrift shop, the clothing section will be less adventageous to you than to others, but you still may find a good deal or two there. The footwear section will still be of value, even if you only size shoes. But for cooking, pots and pans, headlamps, general gear, you will find a plethora of equipment you may have never seen before.

I think you can still get a lot out of an REI store. I wish I had one closer than a 6 hour drive away.

OnlyJohn
10-04-2011, 13:06
As long as we are correcting everyone's mistakes, the word is spelled plethora.

Spokes
10-04-2011, 13:06
Are you a co-op member?

Buffalo Skipper
10-04-2011, 13:44
As long as we are correcting everyone's mistakes, the word is spelled plethora.

Of course it is! That was a typo. Thanks for that.

Just to prove I am a grammar nerd, I became a donating member just so I could correct any mistakes that passed my first draft. ;)

strollingalong
10-04-2011, 15:19
as an profesional gramer nerd.... eg. a english teecher: I gotta say that 1 of the most annoying things in the world (or at least on the internet) is people correcting other when their not in a english class.

Rasty
10-04-2011, 18:03
Being smart and strring the pot (Professional Chef), aren't you supposed to spell numbers smaller then ten or so when writting?

Rasty
10-04-2011, 18:07
Being a chef I also cannot spell.

flemdawg1
10-04-2011, 19:06
SB, there is always the clearance racks and the garage sale (selling returns). Plus your possible TS finds have a new source.
I'm alot like you in leaning towards UL gear and Thrift stores. But I went in the Nashville REI 3 weeks ago to get some trail runners and found so many good deals (clearance Keen sandals for my wife $45, $3 kids hiking socks, $8 Bridgedale sox, etc.) I ended up dropping about $250.

johnnybgood
10-04-2011, 19:30
Sbhikes , REI Also has " garage / attic sales " once every 5-6 months where as a member you can purchase store returns ( insert liberal return policy here ) on items that can save you mucho dinero .
Example : I bought an REI Flash 65 pack with nothing wrong with it except a quarter sized hole in one of the side mesh pockets , an easy fix with a needle and some thread -- $ 15.83 was what I paid for a $169 BACKPACK !!

Get there early though... people start to line up hours before the doors open.

The thrill of treasure hunts has always appealed to me , and the possibility of getting a bargain is even sweeter.

waywardfool
10-04-2011, 19:59
as an profesional gramer nerd.... eg. a english teecher: I gotta say that 1 of the most annoying things in the world (or at least on the internet) is people correcting other when their not in a english class.

others

bwaha

Snowleopard
10-04-2011, 20:02
REI and EMS both provide some support to local community and environmental groups and give classes on outdoor topics that can be useful. Here's a couple of links for REI, the first is events at one of the Mass. stores and the second is a link to REI's community/environmental support groups. REI is basically a good organization, even if it has become pretty commercial.
http://www.rei.com/stores/26 (http://www.rei.com/stores/26)
http://www.rei.com/stewardship/rei_community

(http://www.rei.com/stewardship/rei_community)

Blissful
10-04-2011, 20:31
I have run two classes for them here in Richmond, VA and will do another Nov 2. Great place to share your knowledge. With your PCT experience, I'd talk about that.

sbhikes
10-04-2011, 20:48
Thank you.

I have a membership card. And I do like a good treasure hunt. That's why I like thrift stores. I found some Vibram 5 Fingers for $4 the other day.

Since Santa Barbara has mountains and ocean, they'll probably have a lot of variety of stuff.

Tenderheart
10-05-2011, 13:51
With your knowledge about what works and what doesn't in hiking, you won't be impressed with REI. They cater to folks who want to look like hikers as they walk around in the mall. I'm afraid all retailers are this way.

ki0eh
10-05-2011, 15:41
I wish they would come to Harrisburg. We don't have an EMS and the local outfitter went out of business. We can pick from Dick's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, and a good local canoe shop, but an awful lot falls through those cracks.

hobby
10-05-2011, 15:59
I was always taught that a preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with....

Driver8
10-05-2011, 17:07
With your knowledge about what works and what doesn't in hiking, you won't be impressed with REI. They cater to folks who want to look like hikers as they walk around in the mall. I'm afraid all retailers are this way.

That's a snotty, cynical and overly negative view, and I don't mind saying so. The REI here has a smart, experienced and helpful staff, including at least one AT thru who's given a talk about his experience and another hiker I always enjoy talking to who has logged thousands of miles all across New England and New York. They have several helpful classes and talks and events each month and organize hikes and trail maintenance events, coordinating with local trail maintenance and outdoors groups.

Their front-line merchandise is expensive if you pay full price, as at most any national franchise. As noted by others, though, they stand behind what they sell. I've returned a few items, and they do ask why, but the reason is so they can communicate back to the manufacturer problems experienced by users, geared toward product improvement.

To sbhike: I think by "working with you," as others have suggested, they'd love to have you gives talks or classes. I expect they might pay for some of these. I consider our REI store to be a friend in the community, and I think you'll find plenty to like about them, too.

Blissful
10-05-2011, 20:09
To sbhike: I think by "working with you," as others have suggested, they'd love to have you gives talks or classes. I expect they might pay for some of these. I consider our REI store to be a friend in the community, and I think you'll find plenty to like about them, too.

They don't pay you for conducting the classes but they do pay in some merchandise, - I got a travel mug and some great socks. :) And experience speaking.

Tenderheart
10-08-2011, 15:46
That's a snotty, cynical and overly negative view, and I don't mind saying so. The REI here has a smart, experienced and helpful staff, including at least one AT thru who's given a talk about his experience and another hiker I always enjoy talking to who has logged thousands of miles all across New England and New York. They have several helpful classes and talks and events each month and organize hikes and trail maintenance events, coordinating with local trail maintenance and outdoors groups.

Their front-line merchandise is expensive if you pay full price, as at most any national franchise. As noted by others, though, they stand behind what they sell. I've returned a few items, and they do ask why, but the reason is so they can communicate back to the manufacturer problems experienced by users, geared toward product improvement.

Hey, *******, when you disagree with a post, why not just simply state your views without slamming someone's opinion?
Hey, ASS

Jim Adams
10-08-2011, 16:09
Hey, *******, when you disagree with a post, why not just simply state your views without slamming someone's opinion?
Hey, ASS

....never mind...once an ass, always an ass.

geek

Jim Adams
10-08-2011, 16:10
....never mind...once an ass, always an ass.

geek

PS, This is my view.

geek

Nutbrown
10-08-2011, 16:11
I have always been torn between supporting the local outfitters, and getting the good deals from REI. When stuff is on sale, that is where I spend my money. That said, the floks I have met at REI are always very knowledgeable and helpful. I was shopping for a new pack a few years ago, and a guy helped me out for about an hour, and he wasn't even on the clock. They are a fine organization.

sbhikes
10-08-2011, 20:34
I've only been to the REI in Northridge and in Seattle. They seemed like nice enough stores. The trouble is I rarely ever need anything except maybe for socks. I needed shoes when I visited the one in Seattle. I told the guy I wanted lightweight mesh trail runners and what size and a few brands I liked. He brought me out full leather boots. What part of lightweight mesh trail runner did he not understand? I wasn't too terribly impressed by that. They're just a gear shop like most any other. Same gear, same inexperience with long distance hiking. Oh, going backpacking? You need heavy boots and a huge pack full of stuff. Employees are basically just retail workers like anywhere else. If it's a good store, I'll shop there. If not, I'll keep going down to Ventura to Real Cheap Sports and the original Patagonia, and of course I'll keep shopping at thrift stores.

Jim Adams
10-08-2011, 22:41
REI on the southside in Pittsburgh (2 stores) has 3 fulltime employees that have completed AT thru hikes. The staff there is very helpful and has alot of knowledge of hiking. No you won't find much there in the ultralight catagories but what they do sell is good quality and you simply can't beat the return policies. Watch for the sales and use your dividend wisely and you can make some great deals. I got a Patagonia down shirt in a non-popular color and smartwool mid weight long underware all for the same price of just the retail for the shirt.

geek