PDA

View Full Version : Georgia in June?

MDFastPack
10-04-2011, 11:29
I am currently planning a section hike of Georgia for this summer. Im thinking early June, BUT I have never been that far south on the trail. I was hoping that someone could provide some insight on weather , water sources, etc etc for Georgia in june. Bring on the knowledge!

Elder
10-04-2011, 11:53
Lush green, usually plenty of water at the regular locations.
The "Hiker herd" will be farther north by then leaving the trail and shelters a little quieter.
Sometimes camping restrictions over Blood Mtn..seasonal. Depends on how well trained the bears are.
Check here and with the GATC closer to time.

max patch
10-04-2011, 13:59
Elder pretty much said it all. I'll add hot and humid, but I bet you already figured that out.

Sierra Echo
10-04-2011, 14:06
Mind your meniscus!!

scope
10-04-2011, 14:09
Hot, but the nights are a little milder earlier in June. I wouldn't tent in late June through early Sept in GA - too hot. Great for a hammock. I wear long track pants in the summer as the brush grows rapidly through May and early June and its hard for the maintainers to keep up. In general, June shouldn't be a problem for water yet, but of course check back.

daddytwosticks
10-04-2011, 16:03
You may still get some late-spring (not-so-hot) weather in early June. An afternoon thunderstorm at high elevations can drop the temperatures dramatically. It's a crap shoot. Check the long-range forecast before heading out and have fun. :)

generoll
10-04-2011, 16:23
everyone that I shuttled in June shortened their trip due to the heat. good for my shuttle business, but perhaps not so much fun for hikers. unless you are prepared to take it easy and go light, I pick another time. Like right now. Gorgeous days up to 70 and nights in the 30-40 range.