PDA

View Full Version : Successful Homeless Hiker?

SMSP
10-04-2011, 16:27
Know anybody that has been good at it?

Been thinking about trying it out.

I’m tired of being responsible and trying to live the so called American dream. I’ve been responsible for the past 20 years, and been thinking about being non-responsible for the next 10 years or so. Of course, this would come at a great price.

Been thinking about selling anything of value and hitting the trail for good. I know there’s unforeseen things I haven’t thought of, but the idea sounds great at the moment.

SMSP

texascampgal
10-04-2011, 16:32
I have many days where that seems ideal... and I WOULD love it. Truth is, I love the comforts of home too much.

Moose2001
10-04-2011, 16:48
It's a nice dream but not possible unless you have an income stream from some source. Savings, retirement, trust fund, or something else. You might get by for a year but not much longer than that.

mirabela
10-04-2011, 16:49
Think it through carefully ... it could be tough reintegrating when/if you decide to.

I think the closest I've known to this over the long haul was a couple I worked with in the early 90's. Every year they would teach a summer session (one in physics, the other in history if I remember right) at a tony eastern private prep school (8 weeks), then do a few weeks teaching rock climbing for the outdoor frosh orientation programs at three or four top-tier private colleges; the rest of every year (9 months, give or take) they spent climbing all over the world. They'd been all over the Andes, the Himalaya and Karakoram, various African ranges, everywhere you've ever heard of in North America ...

It seemed like an enviable nomadic existence to me. They'd been at it for at least a decade when I knew them. I remember wondering then, though, what would happen if they ever wanted to raise a family.

It's not for me, but I certainly understand the appeal. Just do your homework seriously, like for any major life step.

MyName1sMud
10-04-2011, 17:22
Any room for another Mississippian ? haha

good luck to you brother (if you decide to go thru with it.)

I think it would be hard to beg for money in the woods though. I could see being homeless in a big city where you can easily beg for enough money to eat/drink everyday.

Shutterbug
10-04-2011, 17:24

I’m tired of being responsible and trying to live the so called American dream. I’ve been responsible for the past 20 years, and been thinking about being non-responsible for the next 10 years or so. Of course, this would come at a great price.

Been thinking about selling anything of value and hitting the trail for good. I know there’s unforeseen things I haven’t thought of, but the idea sounds great at the moment.

SMSP

When I was a kid, we lived near the railroad tracks that passed through our town. There was a wooded area near the tracks we knew as "Hobo Jungle." I had the opportunity to meet quite a few of the people we called "Hobos." There always seemed to be two common themes -- "No one is going to tell me what to do!!!" and "Hey, kid, can you spare a dime?" It seemed to me that their independence came at the expense of their own sense of self-worth. If you ask them if they were successful, they probably would have said that they were doing exactly what they wanted to do.
Is that really success?

Slo-go'en
10-04-2011, 17:28
Being homeless with money is a lot more enjoyable then homeless with out money. If you have the savings to pull this off, why not?

Way back in the summer of '85 I got fired from a well paying, high tech, high stress job in the Boston area. I decided to teach those jokers a leason by never working a real job again. (BTW, the place which let me go went belly up 6 months later, so they actually did me a favor letting me go with 6 weeks severance pay!)

I managed to go almost 6 years effectively homeless after that - much of that time spent in the woods. I spent a whole summer wandering around Yellowstone and near-by areas, hiked much of the AT, did caretaking for three summers, two falls and a winter for break even wages. Other winters I would get a job of some kind to hold me over until spring. Otherwise, I would dip into my savings, which were reasonably large when I started. Thankfully, I hadn't gotten around to getting married or having children, which made it all possible. Plus I had friends who would let me sleep on the couch for extended periods when needed.

But all good things must come to an end. The life style was getting old and I needed to settle down while I still had sufficent savings to start over. Of course, by that time I was "corrupted" and couldn't get a real job again even if I wanted to, so I had to start my own buisness to survive. Still haven't gotten married or had kids, I was out wandering around in the woods at the age when most people did that.

mirabela
10-04-2011, 18:14
Come to think of it, I knew another guy when I was thru-hiking ... he got a small disability check in recognition of some type of mental illness ... it did not go far in town, but he could live like thru-hiking royalty. He was six or seven years along on a cycle that mostly involved yo-yoing the AT during the milder months and staying in shelters and squalid SRO hotels in east coast cities in the worst of the winter.

I'm not sure he'd have called himself successful, and from my POV he looked awfully lonely, but he seemed to get by without begging or stealing.

Two Tents
10-04-2011, 19:08
People dream of it, some start with full intentions of not looking back, some do it as far as they can make it and a few go all the way to the big 'K'. They are said to be thru hikers. Point being to address your questions is to follow your dreams. It is just walkin and ya gotta still live even if yer standin in the same spot days on end. I say go!

milehighjohn
10-04-2011, 19:26
All I can say is that I retired from a high stress job a little over a year ago, so I had some idea what you mean about walking away from a job. I wouldn't rush into anything though as jobs are getting harder to find all the time with the economy tanking as it is. I can say that given my experience hanging in there with the job was the best thing I could have done and made the retirement days even sweeter. I haven't hit any long trails yet, but have been taking two or three 20 mile nature hikes to and from a popular mountain in our area each week. Guess you could say I am an Urban Hiker for now, although I would like to take a little longer hike (the length of the Natchez Trace) sometime in the next year or so. As someone mentioned earlier, you'll need some sort of cash stream and retirement will fit that bill fine. Health insurance is key too as none of us are getting any younger. As the monument at the Korean Memorial in DC says, "freedom isn't free". A hobo has his freedom for sure, but boy at what a price.

SassyWindsor
10-04-2011, 19:27
Eric Rudolph tried it, probably with help, he finally got caught looking for a meal. This is NOT a realistic undertaking.

4eyedbuzzard
10-04-2011, 20:03
A romantic idea, but I think it would "get old" pretty quickly. I definitely want to pare down now that my kids are grown, simplify things, etc. But a small cabin with a wood stove, a comfortable bed, and a place to hang my coat when it's cold, wet, and windy sounds a lot better than living outdoors every single day.

Gray Blazer
10-04-2011, 20:28
Come to think of it, I knew another guy when I was thru-hiking ... he got a small disability check in recognition of some type of mental illness ... it did not go far in town, but he could live like thru-hiking royalty. He was six or seven years along on a cycle that mostly involved yo-yoing the AT during the milder months and staying in shelters and squalid SRO hotels in east coast cities in the worst of the winter.

I'm not sure he'd have called himself successful, and from my POV he looked awfully lonely, but he seemed to get by without begging or stealing.

I met a guy like that. He was a Nam vet. He would help out at hostels. He never asked for anything and if you gave him something he was extremely grateful. He seemed to me to be successful. Nice guy. I gave him some smokes and he actually gave me cash so I could make it back to FL. Go figure.

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2011, 20:38
Eric Rudolph tried it, probably with help, he finally got caught looking for a meal. This is NOT a realistic undertaking.

Beat me with a stick It was the first thing and I went looking for the best photo, He is by clear the best at Hide & Seek and backcountry Hobo.

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2011, 20:42
A romantic idea, but I think it would "get old" pretty quickly. I definitely want to pare down now that my kids are grown, simplify things, etc. But a small cabin with a wood stove, a comfortable bed, and a place to hang my coat when it's cold, wet, and windy sounds a lot better than living outdoors every single day.

Here in PA deep within the central part, there are still log cabins with NO running water, handed down by generations where family members keep them on govt land and keep them up - screwed by Eminent domain laws they rarely come up for sale even thou there are some 300-400 of these cabins last year 9 were for takeover.

WingedMonkey
10-04-2011, 21:47

There is a difference in living in the woods when you are a wanted man and when you are free to roam and go in public. I was staying in the various North Carolina Forest for a lot of 1998 when they were looking for him.
I'm not surprised they never found him until he was in town, the searchers where as far from quite as a person could be in the woods. You could here them coming for what seemed like miles.
There are a lot of "homeless" folks camping in National Forest. (No I don't mean Rainbow People) but most of them don't hike or stay moving.

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2011, 22:38
WM - there are post were elaboration is required please tell more about homeless folk that you ran into.

yappy
10-04-2011, 22:53
Alaska still has plenty of land to get lost in..endless...folks try it all the time..very very few of them make it but if u want a true wilderness where u can live off the land and deal w winters beyond compare ....the cool thing is that no1 cares what u do

XCskiNYC
10-04-2011, 22:56
Check out some of the videos on youtube of people who get a motorhome or a pickup camper and drive up to Alaska. It looks like fun. These vehicles aren't that expensive compared to paying rent or a mortgage.

This woman shows how she did it and some of her travel and she also has a couple of interesting interviews with a woman who did the work herself of converting a van into a camper for very little money --

http://www.youtube.com/user/JenniferBlogAccount

yappy
10-04-2011, 23:04
I'm gonna tell u guys a secret but don't tell any1 k ...this is a fantastic place to live w lots of opportunity and the kind of natural beauty that can bring u to ur knees and delight ur senses

JFW
10-05-2011, 00:01
Homeless on the trail? Nah, that won't happen...what u need to do is get out there next year. Hike the trail with no expectations . Live day by day and keep moving. Even If only shelter to shelter. Meet the most amazing people u can imagine...ull have time to think and gameplay for the future. The trail works in mysterious ways. U might find urself a whole new outlook on life! But, keep moving up the trail...or ill personally will drag u to Maine

daddytwosticks
10-05-2011, 07:26
Living in Murphy NC, the epicenter of Ericism, I can tell you that he had help in many ways. Living on the run the way he did was no picnic. :)

Pedaling Fool
10-05-2011, 09:26

SMSP
This raises a lot of questions, but just a couple for now.

1. Have you ever thru-hiked or attempted a thru-hike, if not successful why did you quit?
Not that a thru-hiker is a good candidate for this kind of move, but it would at least give a little and I mean VERY LITTLE idea of what this kind of lifestyle would be like. The reason this is a good question is because of this statement by you, "...but the idea sounds great at the moment."
The vast majority of thru-hiker wannabes quit not because of injury, financal or family problems; they quit because of reality.

2. What's the longest you've stayed out in the woods?
Be very telling (if you've done a long-distance hike) if you're the type of hiker that during resupply visits you get what you need then go; or like most get a room...

3. How do you like the cold?

Tons more questions you gotta ask yourself, but that's a beginning...

texascampgal
10-05-2011, 09:39
I have to share a link to a youtube video. I had forgot about my uncle who successfully lived in the woods of Florida for over 20 years... from the mid-80's into the early 2000's.

The entire movie is very difficult to find, but it is a great watch. It shows the guys' homes, water purificiation systems, and "neighborhood", if you will. My uncle collected aluminum as a way of generating income. I believe he was the only guy in the movie who had a checking account.

"My Father's Son" is a great movie about doing just this... leaving society to live my no rules... unresticted... FREE. If you get a chance, WATCH THIS MOVIE!!

Here's a link to the trailer...
http://youtu.be/XrWw6i6SheI

Hosaphone
10-05-2011, 10:34
I have to share a link to a youtube video. I had forgot about my uncle who successfully lived in the woods of Florida for over 20 years... from the mid-80's into the early 2000's.

The entire movie is very difficult to find, but it is a great watch. It shows the guys' homes, water purificiation systems, and "neighborhood", if you will. My uncle collected aluminum as a way of generating income. I believe he was the only guy in the movie who had a checking account.

"My Father's Son" is a great movie about doing just this... leaving society to live my no rules... unresticted... FREE. If you get a chance, WATCH THIS MOVIE!!

Here's a link to the trailer...
http://youtu.be/XrWw6i6SheI

I just spent about an hour searching the interwebs for this video... Found out it was part of a 2002 Florida Film Festival. Here's a review: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117918058?refcatid=31&printerfriendly=true

I was able to find a part 1 and a part 3 of the movie, but the guy who uploaded it doesn't seem to have uploaded part 2... I might try messaging him to see if he'll upload it because from what I've watched so far it seems really interesting.

Here are the clips:
Part 1: http://www.vimeo.com/12501766 (20 mins)
Part 3: http://www.vimeo.com/12509480 (14 mins)

I think I read somewhere that running time is 70 minutes, so there's a big chunk missing here :(

Hosaphone
10-05-2011, 10:40
"To me this is, most importantly, a stress free environment, or at least less stressful. If I had to go put up with somebody looking over my shoulder while I work I know I'd be drinking, doing cocaine if I had the money. Doctors told me, 'you need to get a new job!' Well I guess I have: no job."

texascampgal
10-05-2011, 11:39
I just spent about an hour searching the interwebs for this video... Found out it was part of a 2002 Florida Film Festival. Here's a review: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117918058?refcatid=31&printerfriendly=true

I think I read somewhere that running time is 70 minutes, so there's a big chunk missing here :(

I do have the entire movie on the harddrive of my DVD player. I burned a DVD of it once. I'll have to revisit the owner's manual and figure out how to do it again. The person I loaned the first copy to hasn't returned it. :(

DavidNH
10-05-2011, 11:42
If you sell off everything you have of value and go hike the AT, what will you have to comeback to when your hike is done? Better really think this through!

David

Espero
10-05-2011, 12:35

SMSP

Wow! It sounds like you have a bad case of "burn out" by trying to live "the american dream" as others see it. When I was in High School a teacher once told me two things a person needs in life is to know where they are and what they're doing. It sounded dumb at the time , but as I got older it made more sense. So, with that in mind, what are your goals? Are you trying to go off the grid; shed responsibility; fall back and reorganize your life; take a breather; see the world; live in the wild; some or all of the preceding? Once you sort out your goal, make a plan on how to achieve it and go for it. Wikipedia describes Homelessness as the "condition of people without a regular dwelling". So, if you want to go "homeless" (but I think if you the trail you won't be since your dwelling will be on your back) go for it. Just don't become hopeless. Good luck.

Hosaphone
10-05-2011, 12:53
Just don't become hopeless.

I assume you're aware that "espero" means "I hope" in Spanish? Just noticed that :p

Odd Man Out
10-05-2011, 12:55
It seems the real distinction here is doing it with money or without. There doesn't seem to be a lot of support for doing it without money. If you have money, it would not be conceptually much different than "full-timers" who sell their home, buy an RV or sailboat, and cruise around full-time. I'm not sure if these people consider themselves homeless or not. If you are a full-timer, your RV or boat is essentially your home. The only difference is that unlike a conventional home, you can take your home with you where ever you want to go. So you could consider yourself a full-time backpacker and your "home" is the stuff on your back. Of course the level of comfort is somewhat different than the boat and RV full timers. I once read that before you buy a sailboat your should get a hand full of $100 bills, light them on fire and stand in a cold shower with your clothes on. If you enjoy that, buy a sailboat. A similar test might in order before becoming a full time backpacker.

Thatguy
10-05-2011, 13:40
Has anyone ever heard of a man by the name of Poppa Neutrino? He practically spent his entire life homeless yet he had a wife, family and had a book written about him and two documenteries done on him. He built a raft out of wood he found from the Streets of New York City and sailed it across the atlantic. He supported himself & family by Busking, playing music in the streets. He wasn't a backpacker but he led a life free of convention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppa_Neutrino

Mizirlou
10-05-2011, 13:44
...been thinking about being non-responsible for the next 10 years or so. Of course, this would come at a great price. SMSP

SMSP, pls clear up the meaning of your tag “South MS Patriot” -- izzat a Sovereign Citizen thingy? Eric Rudolph dug that ideology. Now he’s doing life in a supermax prison: ADX Florence.

http://lfeffortposts.wordpress.com/2009/11/26/adx-florence/

DapperD
10-05-2011, 13:57
If you have some money available to do this and have no real responsibilities other than to yourself then give it a go. You may enjoy the freedom for awhile. The hard part will be the bad weather. Now if I personally was going to do this, I would go be homeless and free say on the AT when the weather was great, but when it turned bad I would go to like California or Hawaii or somewhere where I would most likely be basking in the sunshine, not on the East Coast during the winter months wet and freezing:D.

bad marriage
10-05-2011, 14:16
Don't go into it thinking you HAVE to do it forever, or even the next ten years... just leave it open ended and see where life takes you. If it rolls on indefinitely, great. If you feel the need to jump back into the "real" world after a year or five or whatever then you won't feel like you quit... It was just a grand adventure.

Moose2001
10-05-2011, 16:07
Don't go into it thinking you HAVE to do it forever, or even the next ten years... just leave it open ended and see where life takes you. If it rolls on indefinitely, great. If you feel the need to jump back into the "real" world after a year or five or whatever then you won't feel like you quit... It was just a grand adventure.

I think this is the best answer of the entire post. It's kind of what I've done. First hiked the AT in 2001. Then again in 2003. Left the fulltime work world for good in 2005. Done the AT three times, the PCT once and biked arcross the US three times. I've traveled and seen lots of things. Now I live on my retirement check in the summer and work winters at a ski resort. Spend every winter day on my skis. Life is Good!! The "grand adventure" continues!

Panzer1
10-05-2011, 16:26
Theres no place like home.
Panzer

justwalkin
10-05-2011, 16:58
I'm new. What are "rainbow people?"

sbhikes
10-05-2011, 18:33
You need to read these two things:

First, read this series of zines. They are fabulous and extend back decades. You will learn practical ways to live this way and see that you are not alone. The early ones have as much useful information as the later ones.
http://microcosmpublishing.com/catalog/books/2637/

Also, read this blog. This man lives without money, but not on the AT. He does it for spiritual/religious reasons, but I think if you can get past some of that, you might get a better idea what it is actually like to live this way, the internal struggles and the kinds of crap you'll get from others. Also read his website, linked in the sidebar.
http://zerocurrency.blogspot.com/

Just a Hiker
10-05-2011, 18:57
SMPS,

After leaving the Marine Corps and being very unsatisfied with civilian life, I hiked "fulltime" for quite some time, and this ia what I learned:

- There are 2 kinds of "fulltimers" on the AT- There are those who actually hike every day and steadily move up and down the AT, and then there are those who just live around campsites and shelters close to towns and rarely hike at all.

- Having a Storage Unit along the trail really helped- I was a "fulltimer" who actually hiked, so I kept a small storage unit in Front Royal, VA so I didn't have to carry Winter and Summer gear all at the same time.

- Winter time is hardest part of hiking Fulltime- The weather is the obvious reason; however, hiking fulltime in the Winter has a variety of hardships.....very long nights after the time change, very few hiker services are open, feeling very isolated, the trail from Vermont to Maine is very difficult to hike....and so on.

- There will be more expenses than you think- Regardless of what anyone tells you, hiking the AT ISN'T free! You will have just as many cost's per mile as any thru-hiker, and I even spent more money in the Winter time.

- I learned alot about myself- After doing this for a long time, I came to the conclusion that I need to try and create a balance of "trail life" and a "regular life". I knew I wanted the AT as a "lifestyle", but I eventually learned I needed a balance.

Hopefully this helps you.....as has already been stated, give it a try; however, leave everything open ended and take it a day at a time. Good luck!

Mother Natures Son
10-05-2011, 19:09
All this homeless talk of being on the trail has got me wondering, has anyone contemplated being a hobo and visiting your dream list of trails across the country? It could be done with a little imagination and a lot of luck.

Frog
10-05-2011, 19:39
They got a name for that (it's called a bum)

nuevoluna
10-05-2011, 21:21
Homeless hiking-- totally possible! I left high school three years ago and was homeless for a little over half a year. I hitchhiked across the United States, lived on my own in California and experienced a ton of fantastic stuff. I slept NEAR rest stops on the road, stealth camped in the woods, stopped in to stores to supply on food and more. There were tough times too, scary times but for those of us who have lived a sheltered life, it was a breath of fresh air and completely what I needed. I'm here, so that goes to show that everything turned out alright. ;) I felt so strangled when being pulled apart by my significant other and my family at the time... what I needed was to be ME and to have room to breath. It opened me up to so many things and I had a wonderful time but that was simply the path I chose to take and in a sense, it chose me. I'd only do this if you feel it's necessary-- look into you and find what you want most and pursue it, don't second guess yourself.

In all sincerity, the best times I've experienced in life and what awakened me, totally opened up my eyes, were when I was homeless and hitchhiking and hiking in America. However, that said, it was something I needed for a period of time and I came to having a different life afterwards. I'm in a strange situation right now but I'm married, I have a job, I'm happy and all things considered, life has always been good to me. I'm quite happy. I don't listen to anyone who says they know better than me for what's best for me-- I figure that out, one day at a time, by my own experience. I definitely don't listen to anyone who says there is only one tried and true way to be happy or to be successful-- success is what you feel.

With a little money saved up and some imagination, great things can happen. It doesn't take much cash, you can live on very little. I suggest looking into the book Vagabonding by Ralph Potts-- truly interesting and entertaining. Remember this, it's your life and you can change it whenever and wherever you wish. Just have patience, have faith in yourself and know that you are a good person and you have the right to the pursuit of happiness. Things will work out. Take care and love to you. :o

nuevoluna
10-05-2011, 21:40
*left high school 8 years ago. lol.

A bit more just to show that things work out... I settled down in San Francisco for a short while living with a friend, moved to the midwest by myself (lived in North Dakota... brr...) and then to Pennsylvania away from my family. I've been through college and have my debts paid off, am married now, without kids and I feel free, still, to move through life in whatever direction I please. There's only one responsibility you have in life and that is to gain self-knowledge. I gained a lot of self-knowledge through travel and meeting others and through experience and afterwards I gained responsibilities that I found were a real joy. I don't feel that I "need" to do anything, I do it out of a feeling of bliss because I feel it deep in my core. :)
Much of my feelings came about because of Zen... looking into it, I found it harmonized the world for me and it made me better.

Much love, wish you well, whatever you choose. :)

fireneck
10-06-2011, 03:31
Beat me with a stick It was the first thing and I went looking for the best photo, He is by clear the best at Hide & Seek and backcountry Hobo.

UGH! People do love them some Eric Rudolph. Bin Laden has Rudoplph beat without question in the game of hide and seek!

Has anyone ever heard of a man by the name of Poppa Neutrino? He practically spent his entire life homeless yet he had a wife, family and had a book written about him and two documenteries done on him. He built a raft out of wood he found from the Streets of New York City and sailed it across the atlantic. He supported himself & family by Busking, playing music in the streets. He wasn't a backpacker but he led a life free of convention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppa_Neutrino

YES!! Neutrino's story is pretty amazing.

sbhikes
10-06-2011, 13:15
Wow, Just a Hiker. I'd love to hear more.

hikerboy57
10-06-2011, 18:06
I know there are speed records for NOBO and SOBO. is there one for HOBO?

SMSP
10-07-2011, 10:13
SMSP, pls clear up the meaning of your tag “South MS Patriot” -- izzat a Sovereign Citizen thingy? Eric Rudolph dug that ideology. Now he’s doing life in a supermax prison: ADX Florence.

http://lfeffortposts.wordpress.com/2009/11/26/adx-florence/

South MS Patriot (SMSP) means that I am from South Mississippi, I live on the MS Gulf Coast. The South six counties is commonly referred to as South Mississippi. The Patriot part is just that; I love, support and will defend our country, although our country has a lot of problems, it is still the greatest country in the world at the moment.

It has nothing to do with citizen sovereignty type stuff. Rudolph is a murderer and no patriot.

When I started becoming a part of different internet discussions and was thinking of a signature, that’s what came to mind.
Thanks for asking…

SMSP

SMSP
10-07-2011, 10:18
I do appreciate everyone’s responses. I think I was just having a bad day the other day and was venting, thanks for listening per say. It didn’t take much thought for me after posting my original post to realize that I am a creature of comfort. Although, I can handle roughing it and such, I do enjoy air conditioning in the summer and heat in the cold. I enjoy my pillow-top mattress, I enjoy kicking back in my recliner. And, a microwave just doesn’t fit the light hiking gear aspect just yet.

SMSP

Blue Jay
10-07-2011, 18:47
If you sell off everything you have of value and go hike the AT, what will you have to comeback to when your hike is done? Better really think this through!

David

I'm trying to come up with a reason why you "have to come back".

sbhikes
10-07-2011, 22:07
I do appreciate everyone’s responses. I think I was just having a bad day the other day and was venting, thanks for listening per say. It didn’t take much thought for me after posting my original post to realize that I am a creature of comfort. Although, I can handle roughing it and such, I do enjoy air conditioning in the summer and heat in the cold. I enjoy my pillow-top mattress, I enjoy kicking back in my recliner. And, a microwave just doesn’t fit the light hiking gear aspect just yet.

SMSP

I know a really good cure for that love of comfort. Takes at least 3 months. ;)

MuddyWaters
10-07-2011, 22:26
Quite a few nautical minded folks sell up, and ship out to cruise the islands for a few years. Unless rich, they will work various jobs in different ports for a while to save up some money, then depart to a new destination. They will do odd jobs at marinas, work as bartenders, waitresses, etc, for several weeks, then move on.

No reason that methodology couldnt work on the AT either.

wornoutboots
10-09-2011, 16:17
Chris MacCandless had a pretty nice plan going! He would work for a while, then move on living his dream. If you haven't read "Into the Wild" I highly suggest it!

slims
10-09-2011, 20:27
I think the last two comments kinda summed up my take on it too. A nomadic lifestyle definitely appeals to me but if I was to do it I wouldn't limit myself to one place like the AT. The reason people pursue lifestyles like this are to have what they consider to be ultimate freedom. Why stick to one place? To me the best way to do it would be to travel around the US or even further if you could, take on seasonal work or odd jobs when you need to replenish funds and just enjoy all the new experiences.

Papa D
10-09-2011, 21:30
I too have toyed with this idea - I did actually live in the back of my pickup truck (with camper top) for a year (after I thru-hiked) right out of college an on-the-road climber and skiier - age 21-22. I spent money earned selling Christmas trees and working at ski resorts but I also relied on a head-start - family $$ bought the pick-up and some gear and there was always the family safety net. Now, here is what might work - long term:

have a base camp - this could be a trailer or mobile home or even a cabin at a summer camp but it needs to be somewhere where you can earn some money - seasonal work is excellent for the lifestyle you seem to be seeking - look at ski resorts, raft guiding, summer camps, etc. but you need to make about $10,000 a year + if you want to stay on the trail all year long because in the winter you'll be holed-up ( a lot ) and you'll need some bucks - you'll also need a place to store your stuff - I'd suggest that truly homelessness on the trail won't work long-term - you'll need replacement gear, a place to keep spare clothes, a bank to keep some back-up money in, etc. even if this is just a place you can park your truck and have people leave you messages. Without rent to pay and only mac-n-cheese and replacement gear to buy, $10K lasts a long time.

more importantly, you'll need a network of friends - this is why a seasonal job in the outdoor industry might work for you - many of these people (while they might not be living on the trail) are of a similar mindset.

Go live the dream - but have a realistic plan if you want it to last. You can live life (mostly) on the trail and on the road -- a work of caution though ..... I've met actual homeless dudes in shelters - they are pretty much a problem - they leach off legitimate hikers, are typically hopeless alcoholics, can't afford gear or food and are pretty sad and lonely.

Good luck.

SassyWindsor
10-09-2011, 21:47
Chris MacCandless had a pretty nice plan going! He would work for a while, then move on living his dream. If you haven't read "Into the Wild" I highly suggest it!

McCandless weighed in at a about 30 kg (60 or so lbs) when he finally fell over dead from starvation, some dream.

Papa D
10-09-2011, 22:09
Obviously, there is a point that is "too far" - that point is relative to the individual - someone can clearly have a part-time job and spend most of the time backpacking - I am sensitive to this because this is how I see myself in retirement - right now, with a job, I hike 300-400 miles a year and spend about 40 nights per year in the woods- 15% of my time - so I feel at least sort of connected to this paradigm - surely in spirit. I think that the original poster can live his life on the trail (mostly) with some back-up and good planning. McCandless' experiment was something different - and he obviously took it too far, but boy, did that kid "live" - don't be too quick to judge.

Johnny Thunder
10-09-2011, 22:47

SMSP

I think it's an admirable dream and something worth considering if you really believe that it will add value to your life.

In my own experience, purposeful living will always trump purposeless living. But it's up to you to figure what's right and wrong in your life. Right now working towards the financial security seems a little off...maybe it is the wrong path for you, long-term. Just be honest with yourself.

In 2008 I quit my semi-stressful desk job. Since then I haven't worked a job I didn't want. First, as an IT consultant working conventions for 5 days a month. Now, I'm an Elementary School English teacher in South Korea. Both jobs paid for my living expenses while I traveled and hiked (and this current gig allows me to put away enough scratch to not have to work for 2 to 3 years of thru-hike-like travel).

Saving you from the minutiae; I do believe that it is possible to live free of concern about the "American Dream" while still being responsible to your financial future. And travel. And hike. With little concern for the consequences. I've lived this life for almost 4 years now and definitely see another 4 in the making.

Good luck.

SassyWindsor
10-09-2011, 22:48
" Some like McCandless, show up in Alaska, unprepared, unskilled and unwilling to takethe time to learn the skills they need to be successful."

" you quickly see that what he did
wasn’t even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic and inconsiderate"
http://nmge.gmu.edu/textandcommunity/2006/Peter_Christian_Response.pdf (http://nmge.gmu.edu/textandcommunity/2006/Peter_Christian_Response.pdf)

MuddyWaters
10-09-2011, 23:25
Ive maintained for a long time that the "american dream" was a hoax. Home ownership, two cars, etc. = debt, debt, debt.

Whose idea of a "dream" is being in debt so deep it takes you 30 yrs to pay it off? Not mine. Hmmm bankers??? ...could be

People today are stupid, and I mean that. They spend their whole lives working to pay for crap they dont even need, and not really even living, just existing as robots serving their elitist masters. They are debt slaves, pure and simple. The sad part is they are so brainwashed that that is the "American dream", they dont even realize it.

What if.....what if everyone didnt buy crap they didnt need, iphones, and fancy cars, and designer clothes. And only bought what they did need, instead of buying what everyone else bought just so they could have it too. Only lived in a small house they actually needed. Most people could work 1/2 as much as they currently do, and still have everything that they need. Instead of working their frickin life away to pay for crap they dont need, they could go hike, or spend time with their kids, or spouse.

Trailbender
10-10-2011, 00:06
Ive maintained for a long time that the "american dream" was a hoax. Home ownership, two cars, etc. = debt, debt, debt.

Whose idea of a "dream" is being in debt so deep it takes you 30 yrs to pay it off? Not mine. Hmmm bankers??? ...could be

People today are stupid, and I mean that. They spend their whole lives working to pay for crap they dont even need, and not really even living, just existing as robots serving their elitist masters. They are debt slaves, pure and simple. The sad part is they are so brainwashed that that is the "American dream", they dont even realize it.

What if.....what if everyone didnt buy crap they didnt need, iphones, and fancy cars, and designer clothes. And only bought what they did need, instead of buying what everyone else bought just so they could have it too. Only lived in a small house they actually needed. Most people could work 1/2 as much as they currently do, and still have everything that they need. Instead of working their frickin life away to pay for crap they dont need, they could go hike, or spend time with their kids, or spouse.

Exactly my attitude. I spend very little money, get clothes at goodwill, make or repair as much as I can, drive a beater car, ect.

hikerboy57
10-10-2011, 11:51
this is one of the greatest gifts of backpacking, learning how little you need to live a life of happiness and wonder.

Hosaphone
10-10-2011, 13:14
It's obviously a personal thing, but I think hiking around all the time wouldn't be satisfying as a long-term thing. I think it would be a fairly selfish, empty, purposeless existence after a while.

I had a friend who was an online poker pro for ~10 years. He would drive around all over the country living out of his van, camping and hiking in an area for a couple weeks and then moving on when he got bored or got kicked out. He played high enough stakes that he really only needed to play for a couple hours per week to make enough money to get by with this lifestyle, so most of his time was spent hiking or exploring historic places, or just doing whatever. Also he had a girlfriend who traveled around with him for a while.

I haven't heard from him in a while but I'm pretty sure he's doing peace core stuff or something now. I have another poker friend who, along with a couple other high stakes guys, actually started his own charity...

Humans are social creatures and I think most of us, deep down, have this drive to help people and make the world a better place. My friend basically lived this way for 10 years and then realized he wasn't impacting the world at all (at least not in a positive way), and that really bothered him to the point that he left what a lot of people would consider an ideal lifestyle to go do actual work!

I think long distance hiking is cool because it gives you a well-defined and tangible purpose in life: "My purpose in life right now is to hike to Katahdin". After the hike is over you have hopefully gained new insight and become a better person, but now you have to deal with finding purpose and meaning in your life again. I think maybe a lot of people who do lots of long hikes are just addicted to that sense of purpose.

I was checking out Andrew Skurka's website yesterday and I think it's kind of interesting and relevant to this. Over the past 10 years he has pretty much done everything you can do as far as solo hiking goes. What is he doing now? Guiding tours and giving presentations to boy scout troops... Sharing his knowledge and experience to enrich the lives of other people.

hikerboy57
10-10-2011, 13:40
its nice to get out of the mainstream for a while, but I agree, we're at our best when we find ways to contribute to society, not to escape it. sometimes, after a while on the trail, when living is simple,not worrying about what new hot item you dont need to buy. it becomes difficult to reenter the world of consumerism. its easy to see why so many desire almost immediately to get back on the trail. in the end, though, it is somewhat indulgent, and ultimately unsatisfying.

TyTy
10-10-2011, 14:36

I am guilty of thinking and living this way and my mind is kind of starting to change and work towards a 'work to live, not live to work' attitude and existence. I am contemplating selling my 4/3 house 15 miles from town for a town home 2 miles from work with half the mortgage and maintenance.

TyTy
10-10-2011, 14:41
What about some sort of compromise...like quit your job, sell your belongings, and go work for a camp, forest service, something like that? Might be a combination of giving up the 8to5 life, social interacting, and contribution to society as well as some of the money issue.

hikerboy57
10-10-2011, 14:59
What about some sort of compromise...like quit your job, sell your belongings, and go work for a camp, forest service, something like that? Might be a combination of giving up the 8to5 life, social interacting, and contribution to society as well as some of the money issue.someone once told me the key to happiness in life is to find something you're passionate about, and find a way to get paid for it.This is the best of all possible worlds.

wornoutboots
10-10-2011, 18:06
" Some like McCandless, show up in Alaska, unprepared, unskilled and unwilling to takethe time to learn the skills they need to be successful."

" you quickly see that what he did
wasn’t even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic and inconsiderate"
http://nmge.gmu.edu/textandcommunity/2006/Peter_Christian_Response.pdf (http://nmge.gmu.edu/textandcommunity/2006/Peter_Christian_Response.pdf)

McCandless "Lived" while all the rest just dream! The dreamers are always the ones who are the first to spout off, He didn't go out there to die, he was just made mistakes. You can't fault the guy for living! if any of us go out & get caught in a 127 hours position & perish, they would be saying the same about you or I.

DapperD
10-10-2011, 19:40

What if.....what if everyone didnt buy crap they didnt need, iphones, and fancy cars, and designer clothes. And only bought what they did need, instead of buying what everyone else bought just so they could have it too. Only lived in a small house they actually needed. Most people could work 1/2 as much as they currently do, and still have everything that they need. Instead of working their frickin life away to pay for crap they dont need, they could go hike, or spend time with their kids, or spouse.A lot of people who have been through hard times like The Great Depression do live this way. They said "Never Again" and they due without many comforts and pleasures and salt their money away. These people know what it's like to due without, and once they were/are finally able to get ahead they were going to make sure they never had to suffer and/or go threw hard times with no money and/or jobs again. Unfortunately, it appears bad times are here once again for many, and many people are now just finding out how bad things are becoming. Most people just want to be able to have a nice home and have nice things. This is the way they think. So they assume the morgage debt and the new car debt and the credit card debt, etc...because they figure this is what people who work and have jobs do. The majority of people do not want to live a Nomadic existence and travel all around. They want to stay put and raise families. But it is true that too much debt will enslave. The answer is living frugally and within ones means. In this way, more time and money becomes available to be able to do satisfying things such as hiking, etc...and not just being enslaved to the ever increasing debt of acquired material items.

kayak karl
10-10-2011, 19:56
in the end, though, it is somewhat indulgent, and ultimately unsatisfying.
thought that was marriage?

HiKen2011
10-10-2011, 20:06
well put!!!!!!!!!

HiKen2011
10-10-2011, 20:09

Meant to quote this, well put!

hikerboy57
10-10-2011, 20:40
thought that was marriage?thats exactly what Ive been hiking away from for the past 15 years!My marriage would have probably worked out better if she did shelters and I did tent.on the othr hand, I guess thats why I section , rather than thru. i think i might have a commitment issue.

Hosaphone
10-10-2011, 20:59
Most people could work 1/2 as much as they currently do, and still have everything that they need.

Interestingly, during the depression in the 1930's, there was a big push for a reduction to a 30-hour work week. This would help share work and also made more time for leisure. And despite working fewer hours, they found people were actually more focused and more productive, and much happier.

Arthur Dahlberg, a consultant to both the Hoover and Roosevelt administrations, wrote that capitalism was already capable of satisfying basic human needs with a 4-hour work day. [20] He maintained that such a drastic cut in working hours “was necessary to prevent society from becoming disastrously materialistic.” [21]

The issue was revisited in 1991 by Harvard economist Juliet Schor, who concluded that it would be possible to have a 4-hour work day with no decline in the standard of living. [22]

Similarly, J.W. Smith argued that “over 50% of our industrial capacity has nothing to do with producing for consumer needs.” [23] Years before issues of climate change and peak oil grabbed the public, Smith forecast: We’re facing an ecological nightmare as we push to the brink the earth’s ability to support us. We could eliminate much industrial pollution and conserve our precious, dwindling resources by eliminating the 50% of industry that is producing nothing useful for society. [24]

http://climateandcapitalism.com/?p=691

I shouldn't have read this, now I'm just depressed. We're ****ed.

hikerboy57
10-10-2011, 21:07
when I was in elementary school in the 60s there was a lot of talk of shortening the workweek because of improvements in technology, we would be able to work less and enjoy more leisure time.almost immediately after, states began dropping their blue laws, stores started opening on sundays, thanksgiving, christmas, etc. and 24/7/365 seems to be the schedule of the modern underacheiver.Now we cant stay connected to our work for less than a day,the internet has made us antisocial, and helped todays youth develop entitlment issues, as video games have led to increasing expectations of immediate gratification.we'd rather type to each other than talk.I heard the other day, they now can translate the spoken word into a text message. soon theyll be able to reverse it and translate text into speech. we used to call this a phone call.now were just typing to each other(sic).:confused:

MuddyWaters
10-10-2011, 21:26
Interestingly, during the depression in the 1930's, there was a big push for a reduction to a 30-hour work week. This would help share work and also made more time for leisure. And despite working fewer hours, they found people were actually more focused and more productive, and much happier.

Well, in France they work a 35 hr work week, with a month vacation per year, also to assist with the employment level. And they are pretty happy too, but the wine at lunch may have something to do with that (its a national right, you cant keep them from drinking wine with lunch at work). Focused, maybe. Productive, not at all. But its the french culture that holds them back, and the socialist state. But I sure did like the 2 hr lunches and 3 hr dinners when I was working over there.

MuddyWaters
10-10-2011, 21:31
The one thing the french do right, is not work hard. They enjoy life more. The business owners think nothing of shutting down their restraunt or shop for a full month when they go on holiday. Most dont own houses, they live in apartments, and spend all their money taking vacations. Wine with dinner every day, life is good. Oh yeah, and they even managed to trick women into going topless at the beach too.

Hosaphone
10-10-2011, 21:56
The following table lists nine countries and the average number of paid vacation days per year employees receive in each country.

Italy
42 days

France
37 days

Germany
35 days

Brazil
34 days

United Kingdom
28 days

Canada
26 days

Korea
25 days

Japan
25 days

U.S.
13 days

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922052.html

We're definitely doing it wrong over here...

MuddyWaters
10-10-2011, 22:33
Its in the culture. Americans have been brainwashed to think their way is normal.

A coworker of mine once needed to take his vacation (3 wks) AND ask for a 1 month leave of absence to go visit his mother who was sick in another country. The employer (fortune 500 company) said NO to the leave of absence. (In this particular case this person needed to sneak into this other country using fake documents because US didnt have diplomatic relations with it, thats why it was going to take him so long. He actually got the documents, paid several thousand dollars for them too)

But back to the point, the answer would be the same at most US companies. Want extra time off?? No way. When you have debt, even if only a car note, you are OWNED by your employer because changing jobs is very difficult and frequently results in being out of work for some period of time.

hikerboy57
10-11-2011, 07:40
it sure is in the culture.the marketing of debt along with consumerism that enslaves people to jobs they cant wait to retire from, to pay for products they really didnt need in the first place, but are made to feel inferior for being frugal and living simply. When I got married, I applied for my first credit card. within a few months I had received at least 20 gold card offers. I was young, making $40000/yr, and within a year I had 10 gold cards with limits between $5-10k. I had almost $100k in available credit(at the time rates were around 12%). Like many younger folk, I felt entitled to use that available credit, and spent money on things I never would have done with cash. In no time at all I was in over my head, cut em all up , took 8 yrs to pay everything off.
Later, after my divorce,I ws forced to live a bit more frugally, just to keep up with child support, alimony, etc. and found I didnt really need cable TV, didnt need to drive an expensive car, didnt really need a lot of things. I rediscovered backpacking, which I had been away from for most of my married life, and reinforced my knowledge I really didnt need much to live on.
I live a simple life now. the kids are grown, I dont have credit cards any more, just a debit card. I still use a prepaid $15 cell phone, which Im thinking of upgrading to one of those fancy $20 phones.I have a secure job that I enjoy doing. My only failing is Ill admit to being a bit of a gearhead.(alright, I might have a few other failings)
The allure for me of sectionhiking is partially to escape the constant bombardment of ads telling me what drugs I need, and why I better have an ipad if i want to be one of the cool kids.Every time I go on a trip, it helps me recenter, so i pay less attention to the sales pitches, and more attention to the beauty and people around me.

Pedaling Fool
10-11-2011, 09:51

That link reminds me of a show on the science channel I watched last night called I, caveman. Ended up being a stupid show, but I was struck by one thing we all see all the time. About 1/2 the participants were hardly doing anything for the good of the group, leaving 50% doing practically all the work. They were only out for 10 days, but if they had to stay out any longer that would have been unsustainable. Leadership would have had to rise up and take charge to either get those people working or expel them from the group.

That's why capitalism is the best social model. It really does mimic life in nature, only the strong survive. Without capitalism few would be overworked to the benefit for the many lard asses.

Hoofit
10-11-2011, 10:40
WOW, so many people respond to this thread...
I spent a couple of years on the streets and it is tough and I found that I was dependant upon the generosity of others, even though circumstances were often out of my control. Like in Israel, when a fellow limey stole all my stuff, including my passport.(British and American passports are worth a lot in Israel on the '

Jeepocachers
10-11-2011, 10:42
This guy and his family have done it for a good long while. http://driftersgila.blogspot.com/ He has other stories you can link to also. It's not a completely hiking lifestyle, but hiking is a good part of it. You might find that it relates.

Hoofit
10-11-2011, 10:46
Hit the wrong Button!!
Anyway, if you really want to live on the trail,in the woods, hobo, then first learn a few ways of the woods, how to survive, how to help others in the woods so that you are useful and don't end up just being a leach on others...
You surely have some skills, working occasionally ain't that bad, it sure beats the nine to five/fifty weeks in the year crap that so many endure in this country...
Good luck to you, hope to see you,self- sufficient, on the trail

Hoofit
10-11-2011, 10:55
The following table lists nine countries and the average number of paid vacation days per year employees receive in each country.

Italy
42 days

France
37 days

Germany
35 days

Brazil
34 days

United Kingdom
28 days

Canada
26 days

Korea
25 days

Japan
25 days

U.S.
13 days

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922052.html (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922052.html)

We're definitely doing it wrong over here...
Yeah but the weather, in England anyway, really sucks!!

Hosaphone
10-11-2011, 11:01
Yeah but the weather, in England anyway, really sucks!!

I hear Italy is pretty nice though :p

it sure is in the culture.the marketing of debt along with consumerism that enslaves people to jobs they cant wait to retire from, to pay for products they really didnt need in the first place, but are made to feel inferior for being frugal and living simply. When I got married, I applied for my first credit card. within a few months I had received at least 20 gold card offers. I was young, making $40000/yr, and within a year I had 10 gold cards with limits between $5-10k. I had almost $100k in available credit(at the time rates were around 12%). Like many younger folk, I felt entitled to use that available credit, and spent money on things I never would have done with cash. In no time at all I was in over my head, cut em all up , took 8 yrs to pay everything off.
Later, after my divorce,I ws forced to live a bit more frugally, just to keep up with child support, alimony, etc. and found I didnt really need cable TV, didnt need to drive an expensive car, didnt really need a lot of things. I rediscovered backpacking, which I had been away from for most of my married life, and reinforced my knowledge I really didnt need much to live on.
I live a simple life now. the kids are grown, I dont have credit cards any more, just a debit card. I still use a prepaid $15 cell phone, which Im thinking of upgrading to one of those fancy $20 phones.I have a secure job that I enjoy doing. My only failing is Ill admit to being a bit of a gearhead.(alright, I might have a few other failings)
The allure for me of sectionhiking is partially to escape the constant bombardment of ads telling me what drugs I need, and why I better have an ipad if i want to be one of the cool kids.Every time I go on a trip, it helps me recenter, so i pay less attention to the sales pitches, and more attention to the beauty and people around me.

Yeah, yeah, tell it brother!

(*hides receipt for $450 WM sleeping bag*)

MuddyWaters
10-11-2011, 17:38

I take some pride in doing without things that arent really needed, just because. I havent bought anything on credit in about 16 years. I use debit card, but have a separate credit card for mail-order that I pay in full immediately. Last several vehicles, paid cash in full for used ones. If you do the math, a new vehicle is a waste of money compared to a decent used, I buy 5-7 yr old vehicles that look like new, and have low mileage for their age (50-80,000) for about 25% the cost of a new, but I get 75% of the life out of the vehicle.

Funny thing about credit, you only want it if you need it, in other words, i.e. if you cant afford things. When you have enough money saved that you dont need it, then you dont even want it.

Live_for_hiking
10-11-2011, 20:20
Know anybody that has been good at it? Been thinking about trying it out. I’m tired of being responsible and trying to live the so called American dream. I’ve been responsible for the past 20 years, and been thinking about being non-responsible for the next 10 years or so. Of course, this would come at a great price. Been thinking about selling anything of value and hitting the trail for good. I know there’s unforeseen things I haven’t thought of, but the idea sounds great at the moment. SMSP

I think it’s a wonderful dream … similar to day-dreaming about winning the lottery.

Reality, as many have posted, is potentially very harsh. It is interesting how sudden, spur of the moment decisions have a way of complicating life down the road. You think you will leave stress behind, but you tend to replace them with different hurdles.

We sometimes forget that we have more control over our lives than we imagine. If you’ve reached the point where you want to make a sudden redirection in your life … I would encourage you to think about what is important, what you enjoy, and then set some benchmark goals to help you reach those goals. Instead of a dramatic life style change, how about simplifying things or transitioning to a new role at work that is more in line with what makes you happy? Perhaps find a new position in a different industry that is more interesting? Perhaps take a few weeks off for vacation, grab a pack, and hit some trails until you can hear yourself think? You mention the idea sounds great at the moment… I'd like to stress the use of the word moment.

A decade ago, I unregistered for MBA courses and decided to pursue Biology at a different school without belonging to the school of life sciences. I did it, but that sudden decision had broad implications on my potential retirement. I’d recommend a slow redirection after some soul-searching.

Regardless of the decision you make, good luck.

Ken_Elwood
10-11-2011, 21:42
This reminds me of the story about a homeless man in Raleigh, NC. His name was Shevanel, and he had a dog named plip. it seemed to not matter how much Shevanel had or didn't have, he was always so stoked on life, and cherished everything that he had.

To me this dude found his own success and his story helps me remember to not take any of those little things in life for granted because in the end all the petty squabbles in life only drive us apart as a species and it's the little things that make living life worthwhile.

Trailbender
10-12-2011, 07:34
It's obviously a personal thing, but I think hiking around all the time wouldn't be satisfying as a long-term thing. I think it would be a fairly selfish, empty, purposeless existence after a while.

I think it would be an extremely satisfying and joyful existence. Seeing amazing views, living in the woods all the time. Only reason I am not doing it right now is student loans.

Sailing_Faith
10-12-2011, 11:09
This is my first post here, appropriate that it will be in such a thread. :)

A couple years ago I left life and spent 9 months on a small sail boat with my wife and dog (http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,72.0.html). We enjoyed living simply,
and might well still be 'out there' if the demands of social structure had not pulled us back. Maybe the 'common thread'
is the appeal of living simply, and living deliberately....

... love the advice that has appeared in this thread 'go for it' is a great answer, especially when coupled with the idea of keeping your options open.

shawnofrutland
10-14-2011, 13:55
i been unemployed for almost 2 years with out find a job and now no unemployment check i been thinking about grab my backpack at going hiking on at also im 6mo behind on rent so if i loss myaprtment or if a decide to give it up i might just get out there and hike and wing it and see how it goes

Trailbender
10-14-2011, 14:18
i been unemployed for almost 2 years with out find a job and now no unemployment check i been thinking about grab my backpack at going hiking on at also im 6mo behind on rent so if i loss myaprtment or if a decide to give it up i might just get out there and hike and wing it and see how it goes

Do it, don't let your possessions chain you down.

hikerboy57
10-14-2011, 15:02
are you planning on eating roadkill, nuts and berries?if you think a hike will take you away from the day to day business of surviving, well how are you going to do a thru hike with no money?and you'll be faced with the same problems off trail when you finish.

shawnofrutland
10-14-2011, 20:57
i will eat rice and noddles and trail mix on the trail and i will have little money in case in need anything elce
im goto go out for about amonth or more i take one thing at i time and if it come to the point i need to come home i will

MuddyWaters
10-14-2011, 22:04
When truly homeless people get on the trail, they tend to stay in one spot for sustained times. Hikers hike, homeless squat. If they live at shelters , beg from others, and generally creep people out, they end up getting reported to authorities that have a way of helping them yellow-blaze 30 miles up the trail, and out of their jurisdiction.

Trailbender
10-15-2011, 00:21
are you planning on eating roadkill, nuts and berries?if you think a hike will take you away from the day to day business of surviving, well how are you going to do a thru hike with no money?and you'll be faced with the same problems off trail when you finish.

Once I get my loans paid off, I am gonna save up money, hike as long as I can, then work when I need to, then repeat until I get sick of it.

When truly homeless people get on the trail, they tend to stay in one spot for sustained times. Hikers hike, homeless squat. If they live at shelters , beg from others, and generally creep people out, they end up getting reported to authorities that have a way of helping them yellow-blaze 30 miles up the trail, and out of their jurisdiction.

If I was homeless, I would hike all the time. Sitting around sounds boring as hell. I don't know why they would need to beg, worse case you can apply for food stamps. Personally, if I had no option but to do food stamps, I would stay in VA, as it is the longest section, so you could hike up and down the state, and look for work at the same time.

hikerboy57
10-15-2011, 07:15
you could try working as a ridge runner.doesnt pay much, but then you dont need much.one thing Ive found in my own life, which I sense in you right now, is that you cannot walk away from your problems. However, an extended time on the trail may allow you to find some clarity to help you find solutions more effectively. for me, after my divorce,, I felt I had very little, and carried around anger and resentment for my exwife. I got back into a steady diet of backpacking. I learned that not only dont I need much, but I appreciate the things I have much more. I have the things I want, and I want the things I have.and the people Ive met over the past 15 years reaffirmed my faith in humanity. I used to look at the glass as more than half empty.I still dont own much, but my perspective has changed and now my glass is always overflowing.I hope you can find some clarity on the trail.Hopefully you'll find solutions to your difficulties.

MuddyWaters
10-15-2011, 17:49
you could try working as a ridge runner.doesnt pay much, but then you dont need much.one thing Ive found in my own life, which I sense in you right now, is that you cannot walk away from your problems. However, an extended time on the trail may allow you to find some clarity to help you find solutions more effectively. for me, after my divorce,, I felt I had very little, and carried around anger and resentment for my exwife. I got back into a steady diet of backpacking. I learned that not only dont I need much, but I appreciate the things I have much more. I have the things I want, and I want the things I have.and the people Ive met over the past 15 years reaffirmed my faith in humanity. I used to look at the glass as more than half empty.I still dont own much, but my perspective has changed and now my glass is always overflowing.I hope you can find some clarity on the trail.Hopefully you'll find solutions to your difficulties.

Happiness is 90% attitude, the other half is perspective.

Almost everyone can spot a lot of people that are more fortunate than they are, but there are far more that are worse off too. Even the poor in america are better off than 75% of the people in the WORLD. Always keep that in mind.

mikec
10-15-2011, 20:13
Gosh, you guys have me thinking about this now. I could use my IRA/401K to pay off all of my debts. Then, I could exist on my social security. I could pay some one $100 a month so that I could list a legal residence and that person could take in my mail and I could check in with them once a month or so if anything important came up. Stay in Patel Motels in the winter and on the trail in the spring, summer/fall. Hhhmmm.

Just a Hiker
10-15-2011, 20:24
Gosh, you guys have me thinking about this now. I could use my IRA/401K to pay off all of my debts. Then, I could exist on my social security. I could pay some one $100 a month so that I could list a legal residence and that person could take in my mail and I could check in with them once a month or so if anything important came up. Stay in Patel Motels in the winter and on the trail in the spring, summer/fall. Hhhmmm.

I used a Mailing Service when I was hiking full time. They will forward mail to you anywhere along the trail, plus it gives you a permanent address. I used a service in Augusta, Maine and it only cost me $125.00 a year plus a nominal fee for having mail forwarded to me.

sbhikes
10-17-2011, 19:23
If you really are thinking about it, there's a lot of useful information on the Cheap RV Living (http://cheaprvliving.com/) website. For a really long time after my long distance hike I was looking into making a lifestyle change. I've instead decided to save the information for my retirement years and just keep saving while I work. I don't have a lot of faith in the stock market (my 401k) and I have a pleasant enough job right now.

XCskiNYC
10-18-2011, 01:31

what's a patel motel? motel run by south asians?

Trailbender
10-18-2011, 09:23
Happiness is 90% attitude, the other half is perspective.

Almost everyone can spot a lot of people that are more fortunate than they are, but there are far more that are worse off too. Even the poor in america are better off than 75% of the people in the WORLD. Always keep that in mind.

Once you realize that things won't make you happy, your mood changes less based on circumstances.

sbhikes
10-18-2011, 11:27
I think most of the poorer among us here in the US aren't miserable because they don't have enough things, they're miserable because they are scared. They can't pay their bills, have trouble saving for the future, have to choose between food and heat or food and rent, and when they get sick or need dental work, they have no money.