PDA

View Full Version : Central PA Hike 10/13-10/16

ddanko2
10-04-2011, 16:52
Hello all,

Am planning to do a 4 day, 3 night trip somewhere in the State College area, in partial preparation of next year's Thru. PM me if you are interested in plugging along or if you have any insight about backpacking in the area. I'm 21/m, fairly fast-paced hiker, and welcome the company of anyone!

Happy Trails

ki0eh
10-05-2011, 09:08
I've noticed a couple of meetup groups have been backpacking on the Mid State Trail. Standing Stone Trail has had significant upgrades in the last few years. The Quehanna is good for a circuit hike (no shuttling) and if it turns out you can't quite do the whole 70+ miles there are plenty of cutoff trails. Do note that hunting seasons have already started so add a lot of orange to your wardrobe. Chuck Keiper might be a little short for you and I usually prefer the Quehanna anyway, plus more of the QT is protected from gas drilling. Allegheny Front Trail has a little more of a maintenance deficit right now than these others, although none is as well used as the A.T. All have threads here on WB with more details.

Chenango
10-05-2011, 09:56
The BlackForest trail loop is also very nice. I hiked it last year around this time. Great foliage.

simon
10-06-2011, 21:48
My son and i are doing a three day Quehanna trail this weekend.