PDA

View Full Version : Waynesboro VA

OldFeet
10-04-2011, 20:22
I'm in the early stages of planning a section hike for May 2012 and would appreciate any info regarding shuttles and a safe place to leave a car in the Waynesboro area. The current plan is to hike north from the area of the Thunder Hill Shelter north to Waynesboro. Actually any info as to resupply along the route would be great too. Thanks

Blissful
10-04-2011, 20:40
Check at the visitor center there at Rockfish Gap on long term parking.

You can hitch into Beuna Vista for supplies (Beuna Vista can be a bit of hard hitch though)
I have heard good things about the Dutch Haus hostel - call them about maildrops, resupply (there is a small store at Montebello though)
Nothing after that resupply wise until Waynesboro

johnnybgood
10-04-2011, 20:54
AT Shuttle List (ATC) www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation)

Waynesboro shuttles services are not great but one I can recommend is Pam Bennett . She is listed here with others .

I basically did the same hike in reverse a year ago finishing up at Thunder Hill Overlook on the BRP.
The only place to park a car for a week that I know is the Inn at Afton . Talk with the reservation desk regarding your plans and car info.

Look into resupply options through ATC -- I'm sure they can help you there .

OldFeet
10-05-2011, 08:50
johnnybgood

Did you stay at the Afton House or did you just leave your car there? I live within about an eight hour drive of Waynesboro so the plan is to drive down and hike into Thunder Hill the first day and plan for ashort day of hiking at the end before driving back to Connecticut. I'll only be out for 7 or 8 days so can carry all my food if need be so resupply isn't critical but would just save me some weight during the first half of the hike.

fudgefoot
10-05-2011, 11:52
I recommend Pam Bennett for shuttle service also. I have left my car at Rockfish Gap for a week in the past without a problem.

ekeverette
10-05-2011, 12:14
i called the police dept. for my hike. to park my car in the pd parking lot. get a taxi to take you to rockfish. 14 bucks.

Spokes
10-05-2011, 14:40
The absolute best AYCE on the trail for me was in Waynesboro, VA. Check out the New Ming Garden Chinese Buffet when you're there. Now let me go wipe the drool off my chin...

Kermitt
10-05-2011, 17:14
Give Bill Gallagher a call he's a trail angel in Waynesboro he does shattles through Shenandah park ,[email protected] or phone #540-456-8078.

johnnybgood
10-05-2011, 20:31
johnnybgood

Did you stay at the Afton House or did you just leave your car there? I live within about an eight hour drive of Waynesboro so the plan is to drive down and hike into Thunder Hill the first day and plan for ashort day of hiking at the end before driving back to Connecticut. I'll only be out for 7 or 8 days so can carry all my food if need be so resupply isn't critical but would just save me some weight during the first half of the hike. No stay required. The parking area was well lit when I last was there spring of last year. Maybe e-mail them thru their home page and inquire if hiker parking for extended period is still permitted. The Inn at Afton is in serious disrepair and is not an affable place to stay , so I've heard.
The parking at Rockfish Gap has come under scrutiny recently as a safe place to leave a car what with Rt.250 & I-64 being so easily accessible to would be smash and grab vandalism . Rockfish Gap Information Center ( open till 5p I believe ) should be a good source for you to use as well .

AT Shuttle List (ATC) www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation)

Waynesboro shuttles services are not great but one I can recommend is Pam Bennett . She is listed here with others .

I basically did the same hike in reverse a year ago finishing up at Thunder Hill Overlook on the BRP.
The only place to park a car for a week that I know is the Inn at Afton . Talk with the reservation desk regarding your plans and car info.

Look into resupply options through ATC -- I'm sure they can help you there .

Deer Hunter
10-05-2011, 22:34
I live in Buena Vista and would be glad to pick you up anywhere along your route for a resupply or if you should run into trouble. Just PM me and I will give you my number.