PDA

View Full Version : Puffy Help MontBell vs Mtn Hardware??

banjo_dog
10-04-2011, 21:41
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on two jackets. I am looking at getting a puffy for fall and winter hiking. I think I have it narrowed down to two choices; the MontBell UL TEC and the Mountain Hardware Nitrous. Both are similar in weight and price, but was looking for some input as to the durability, satisfaction, and coldest temp used from users of either. So if you have used either jacket, I would love to hear what you think. Thanks!

Wags
10-04-2011, 21:52
i don't really understand the UL tec down jacket. it is basically the UL down inner but with a heavier denier sleeve and shoulder. really kind of pointless. the down increase over the UL down inner is minimal. intriguing though is montbell's new jacket, which falls between the UL down inner and the heavier alpine light. check it out (i'd rank the montbell over the MH any day including sunday)

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=70&p_id=2301148

Serial 07
10-04-2011, 22:58
rab infinity...

Chaco Taco
10-04-2011, 22:58
I have a montbell and my wife has a Mtn Hardware. Both are sweet, never a complaint from either. Great quality.

Hosaphone
10-04-2011, 23:59
i don't really understand the UL tec down jacket. it is basically the UL down inner but with a heavier denier sleeve and shoulder. really kind of pointless.

My thoughts exactly.

intriguing though is montbell's new jacket, which falls between the UL down inner and the heavier alpine light. check it out (i'd rank the montbell over the MH any day including sunday)

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=70&p_id=2301148

The reinforcements seem kind of like useless extra weight to me on this jacket too...? This isn't a jacket you'll be doing much hiking in unless it's down below 0, and even then you'll have a shell over it anyways. They do look very sexy, though.

I have the UL down inner parka and love it to death. I really need to test the limits of it sometime - I have yet to be cold in it. I've been toasty warm at rest at ~5F wearing t-shirt -> marmot driclime (lined windshirt) -> UL down inner -> driducks. I would estimate that I'd probably be okay at rest with a t-shirt+puffy+driducks combo down to 10F or so.

Also the hood really makes a bigger difference than you might expect. Is there a particular reason you're looking for something without a hood?

darkage
10-05-2011, 00:51
Can't go wrong with montbell, own a sleeping bag and the down inner parka ....

banjo_dog
10-09-2011, 13:54
Also the hood really makes a bigger difference than you might expect. Is there a particular reason you're looking for something without a hood?

I've never been a big fan of hoods. I like wearing hats. Especially if I have to sleep while wearing a jacket, i prefer a hat.

Thanks for everyone's input, seems to be for the first time a relatively unanimous decision on here. I knew I could count on you!