PDA

View Full Version : Laurel Gap Shelter Re-modeled

SGT Rock
10-05-2011, 12:53
I just found out yesterday that the SMHC and Friends of the Smokies had done a work trip to upgrade the Laurel Gap Shelter on the BMT. As some of you may know, the Laurel Gap Shelter is one of only two shelters on the entire BMT, and has been a mud pit of a shelter for decades. I didn't know they were going to be doing it or I would have tried to go out on the trip myself to help. Wildcat showed me some pictures of the renovated shelter and it looks great. The only thing about it at this point is the roof didn't get finished. Apparently the chopper pilot had to cut sling load on one of the loads, and that was the tin roof for the main part. So until they get the roof finished, the shelter is temporarily listed as closed on the closings page: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

He said the expect to get the new roof on by November 15th, but wasn't sure exactly when it would happen.

Before:

After:

A big thanks to all the volunteers for the hard work.

Buffalo Skipper
10-05-2011, 13:13
Wow! That is quite an upgrade there. Very nice. I look forward to seeing that in person when I do the BMT one day.

Thanks for the info, SGT Rock.

SGT Rock
10-05-2011, 13:22
It does look nice. I use to recommend people not stay there as it was a mud pit inside the thing when it rained, but the floor has also been raised inside to prevent the pond from forming. Also not the old picnic table has been replaced by build in benches and tables - the old table was disappearing by pieces for firewood.

Bati
10-05-2011, 20:10
I really enjoyed seeing the fence when I stopped by the shelter while hiking on the BMT- but only because I didn't stay for the night and it brought back so many memories of hiking the AT through the park.

The improvements look great, but I hope they don't increase the traffic too much there, as it seemed to have a lot of use as it was. It was one of only 2 places on the entire BMT in the park where I met more than one group camping at the same place.

generoll
10-05-2011, 21:34
looks good. I suspect that it got added usage from horse campers. The dining area is a major improvement. For some reason looking into the shelter with the two rows of platforms always reminded me of pictures from the camps in WW2.

SGT Rock
12-05-2011, 20:02
I just got word today that the renovations are finished and the shelter is re-opened.

atonat
12-15-2011, 15:17
I stayed at that shelter in November of 1983 or 1984 and was the only one there. I was awaken in the middle of the night by a bear on his hind legs shaking the fence. My first bear encounter. I just banged on my cooking pot and finally it decided to move on. What a great memory! Glad to see that they have remodeled it......looks great!!