PDA

View Full Version : Had 3 week hospital stay--pardon me for not being around.

Different Socks
10-05-2011, 19:59
Labor Day night, crashed my scooter into a deer and woke up in hospital 100 miles from crash site.
Discharged last Wed after many days of recovery and therapy. Being home now and waiting for permission to work is depressing and mind boggling.
Can't wait to be on trails again, bit it will be awhile.

Blissful
10-05-2011, 20:06
Wow so sorry, but glad you're doing ok. Hang in there.

Mountain Maiden
10-05-2011, 20:06
Good Grief DS!! SO sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you've been released and are on the road to recovery, tho! The good news is--the trails will be waiting whenever you are ready. 'Til then--- take care of yourself and be SAFE!

Hiker hugs--

4eyedbuzzard
10-05-2011, 21:10
Wow. Scary stuff. Best wishes for a full recovery.

Different Socks
10-06-2011, 23:36
Wanna know how bad it was?

4eyedbuzzard
10-07-2011, 00:10
Wanna know how bad it was?Give us the dirt.

Different Socks
10-11-2011, 23:38
Accident scene was about 75 yards long with scooter, clothing and deer parts all over highway. Four hours spent in Havre ER covered in so much blood that staff had no idea how bad I was injured nor even recognized a fellow staff member. All 5 upper layers were cut from my upper body as well as 2 lower layers. Surgery done on left side of face after heli-flight to Great Falls and brain was telling body to shut down, so they intubated me and covered up half of face with plastic shield. Due to lack of hearing aids, staff thought I had suffered brain damage due to lack of responses to treatment. Once they realized I could not hear, they got closer and I began to greatly improve.
There is MUCH more to say about what happened, but I will say this: 7 different docs, when asked by me what happened, their honest answer was this--"Technically you shouldn't even be talking/standing/sitting to me, you should be dead. You have amazed everyone here and are a truly lucky individual".

Miami Joe
10-11-2011, 23:47
Wow. Scary stuff.

SMSP
10-11-2011, 23:55
Wow, sorry to hear this happen. Speedy recovery!

Are you calling your motorcycle a 'scooter' or was it really a 'scooter'?

SMSP

Different Socks
10-11-2011, 23:59
Wow, sorry to hear this happen. Speedy recovery!

Are you calling your motorcycle a 'scooter' or was it really a 'scooter'?

SMSP

400cc Yamaha Majesty Scooter--On the hwy I have gotten up to 90+ on several occasions, but usually 75 on Montana highways.

Different Socks
10-12-2011, 00:01
400cc Yamaha Majesty Scooter--On the hwy I have gotten up to 90+ on several occasions, but usually 75 on Montana highways.

Hope to post a before/after shot of scooter on here someday.

SMSP
10-12-2011, 01:26
At first, I was thinking like maybe one of those 50-60cc scooters. But those type of scooters are a motorcycle in disguise and good bikes.

I ride as well, a Suzuki V-Strom, DL1000, which I crashed in 2/2005, resulting in a broken leg, nowhere near what you have described for yourself and I can feel your pain and what not of havng to recover. I chose to get back on mine. But thats a decision one has to make when the time is right.

Take Care,

SMSP

Rain Man
10-12-2011, 15:58
Now the important question: how was the deer?! As in, "you should've seen the other guy." :)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Rain:sunMan

4eyedbuzzard
10-12-2011, 16:39
Wow. I dumped my bike once, busted up my knee pretty good, cracked my helmet, and did some minor damage to the bike (chipped fin on jug, mirrors, lights, etc all tore up), but nothing like what you did. My little slide into the curb was scary and painful enough for me! Hope you make a full and fast recovery.

Different Socks
10-13-2011, 18:41
Now the important question: how was the deer?! As in, "you should've seen the other guy." :)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Rain:sunMan

Deer was labeled as such in two almost equal sized pieces about 25yds apart as well as 2 separate marked spots labeled as "guts".
Other marked spots were labeled: helmet, gloves, scooter pieces and parts both very large and very small, luggage box, saddle bags, and other things.