PDA

View Full Version : no question now

Pages
10-05-2011, 21:12
steve jobs died today. he was one of my heroes.
he was 56. i'm 54.
any question i had about thru-hiking in 2012 is gone.
life is too short.

TV

Spogatz
10-05-2011, 22:48
Apple is evil.

Wise Old Owl
10-05-2011, 23:10
Spogatz - really bad decision on a well liiked smart man that tried to improve our lives with many devices that enriched our lives.

TV Steve has been in poor health for many years - The last smart phone and Ipad were put together by the very employees that wanted him to see the final product before the enevitable..

HYOH - Get Hiking!

wornoutboots
10-05-2011, 23:41
I recently hiked with a couple who have decided to liav ean adventure lifestyle 5 months of the year & work the other 7. Their decison was basewd on one of their fathers always sayinghow when he retired, he would buy an RV & travel all acroos the US for years visiting everywhere, He retired, bought the RV, he died 2 weeks later & the RV never left his driveway. Get Out & Live!!

Hosaphone
10-05-2011, 23:49
Gogogogogogogo

4eyedbuzzard
10-05-2011, 23:49
Certainly a very successful entrepreneur, designer, and businessman. But just as certainly he was no "saint" either. He had some rather large negative issues in life as well, such as denying he was Lisa's father for several years, the backdating of stock options at both Apple and Pixar, ending all charitable giving at Apple, etc. Definitely one of a kind though.

Pedaling Fool
10-06-2011, 12:57
he was 56. i'm 54.
life is too short.

TV
Your post can be interpreted in a couple ways. What are you saying?

sbhikes
10-06-2011, 13:09
Isn't it obvious? Someone only two years older than him died. What if he only had two years to live, too? What would he do with those years? Hike the AT!

Pedaling Fool
10-06-2011, 13:11
Isn't it obvious? Someone only two years older than him died. What if he only had two years to live, too? What would he do with those years? Hike the AT!
Not all of us are as smart as you;)

STEVEM
10-06-2011, 14:10
he was 56. i'm 54.
life is too short.

TV

I know exactly what you're saying. I'm 56 also, about 19 days younger than Jobs.

My Dad died at age 56. June 12 of this year was the day that I reached the age at which he died. I celebrated the date by running (sort of) the Lake Placid Half Marathon. My dad would have considered that a total waste of time, energy and money.

My Mom died a year later at age 57. If I'm still around next year I think I'll climb Mt Marcy to commemorate the date.

MuddyWaters
10-06-2011, 22:45
I dont know that I would say that any of his products improved our lives. Improve is a subjective assessment. I think he has been mostly been responsible for products which simply cause people to WASTE incredible amounts of time instead of doing things productive.

Mountain Mike
10-07-2011, 00:49
I think the OP was ment to say live before you die & not die before you live. I remember one conversation with my dad years ago. I said I hoped he wasn't two diasappointed in me in my wandering lifestyle. He said hell no. Kinda whished he was more like me living my dreams as they came to me.

Pages
10-07-2011, 08:53
Mountain Mike-"I think the OP was ment to say live before you die & not die before you live. "

yeah, that was pretty much the jist of it. up until yesterday, i was still questioning whether or not i was making the right decision about leaving my old life behind for a new direction at age 54.

Steve jobs' death was the final push i needed to combat my fear of the unknown.

thanks all for your comments.

TV