PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel about doing an online survey during down time on the AT?

FreeWilly
10-06-2011, 00:36
Here's the parameters of the survey:

- An ongoing online survey that required multiple submissions (5) at predetermined locations on the trail
- Submissions done during down time on the AT (maybe while stopping for resupply or staying at a hostel)
- The goal of the survey is to collect data in the hopes of improving hiker comfort with gear
- The incentive to do the survey would be a random drawing among the participants for New Gear or REI Gift cards

The question of THIS poll:

Would you as a hiker be inclined to participate in the survey?

Tundra
10-06-2011, 01:22
I'm interested. Let me know more about it. I start my thru on January 1.

FreeWilly
10-06-2011, 01:24
Wow that's early! If I have the survey set up in time for your hike I will do.

SawnieRobertson
10-06-2011, 13:38
Do you mind sharing the purpose of the survey?--Kinnickinic

FreeWilly
10-06-2011, 15:33
Do you mind sharing the purpose of the survey?--Kinnickinic

The survey is a part of my thesis on human performance. I'm hoping my study will be used to make an impact on the comfort and safety of those who use the gear.

Scratch
10-06-2011, 15:35
I'm down. I start the first weekend in March.

sbhikes
10-06-2011, 17:03
So you have to use some of your gear during the trip? What is the gear? How much does it weigh?

FreeWilly
10-06-2011, 18:08
So you have to use some of your gear during the trip? What is the gear? How much does it weigh?

The gear would be your own gear, as to type of gear (sleeping bag, backpack, stove... etc) would be announced with the opening of the survey, manufacturer would be part of the data collected and not a requirement to be a participant of the survey. I still have to design the survey which will take up most of my time before I leave in Feb.

Mr Breeze
10-06-2011, 19:21
I'll be starting the end of March / early April. I'll participate

FreeWilly
10-08-2011, 11:31
I just realized Scratch will be starting a day or two behind me. It would be cool to see those around me doing the survey.

Shutterbug
10-08-2011, 12:22
Yours may be different, but I am of the opinion that most of the people taking surveys don't really care about one's opinions. They just want to collect identity information for sales purposes. For that reason, I don't generally participate in surveys.

dandandan
10-08-2011, 13:36
I would participate given the chance, I'm starting the last day of Feb.

FreeWilly
10-08-2011, 15:44
Yours may be different, but I am of the opinion that most of the people taking surveys don't really care about one's opinions. They just want to collect identity information for sales purposes. For that reason, I don't generally participate in surveys.

I understand. I don't like those surveys either. And I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to want to be involved. Some hikers don't want to deal with a computer or internet while they do their thru hike as they want a complete break from technology on their journey.

@dan - I'm planning to do the approach trial on Feb 29th. I'll be seeing you out there!

FreeWilly
10-11-2011, 11:49
I'm keeping this poll up for a while. I'm hoping to get a little more feedback, even from those who do not wish to participate. This will help me determine a rough percentage of hikers who would be active in the survey. It's all about the estimates.

SassyWindsor
10-11-2011, 12:40
All one needs to do is read the thousands of hiking journals found on line. WB has threads that will answer most of these questions. This is just a way to collect personal data or try to sell you something.

Scratch
10-11-2011, 13:27
All one needs to do is read the thousands of hiking journals found on line. WB has threads that will answer most of these questions. This is just a way to collect personal data or try to sell you something.

1. Reading the journals might get you all the data eventually but it would not be accurate and to date. Statistics requires active answering of questions in this case in order to be accurate. This will also put the information in an easy formation to read and understand, instead of having to search through the thousands of journals.

2. If they are trying to sell me something, fine. I don't have to buy. But numbers like these can help future gear companies. Or even have a use that has yet to be determined.

3. About the personal data thing, it's not like I'm going to be giving away my ss# or anything.

I'm all for statistical analysis. But that's probably because of my background and schooling.

SassyWindsor
10-11-2011, 14:15
Gear manufactures occasionally take surveys on their home page and not depend on an independent. I would take a survey on a homepage of someone like NF, Marmot, Mountain HW, etc long before anywhere else. These people know the market, they just want feedback on their new products and ideas that will be helpful to the general public. One good way these people get feedback and to advertise is events like Trail Days in Damascus. They consider this a good way to gather feedback as well as thanking the hikers. My hiking poles were repaired when there, I will be forever grateful.

FreeWilly
10-12-2011, 12:34
I understand some of the concerns of doing a survey and I can guarantee that I have not interest in anyone's personal info and I have nothing to sell. As Scratch mentioned the "data" in trail journals will not do for my thesis. And as of right now, there are no manufacturers that depend on my thesis results. My results, if good enough, could be published as a scholarly article. If a manufacturer needed additional data for a study, they could reference my work.

Again I know a survey isn't for everyone and this feedback is very important to me. So thanks for bringing up the points Sassy.