PDA

View Full Version : WHERE will I have to have passes or reservations?!

Pappa Green Jeans
02-25-2005, 18:30
I have done some looking around and cant get ALL the places I need a pass or reservation. I've been planning this for a while and feel like I'm going to be rushed due to the fact that I dont have this info. I understand that I will need reservations in the smokies and Baxter, but I'm sure these arent the only places are they? I dont want to have to stop in the middle of hiking and have to figure out where to gt a pass. Please help. Your info is greatly appreciated. God Bless.

chris
02-25-2005, 18:39
Baxter is it. In the Smokys, if you start and end atleast 50 miles outside of the park, you qualify as a thruhiker for the purposes of the park. Thruhikers do not need to make reservations. Just fill out a form at Fontana Dam in the south (on the trail) or in Hot Springs.

Baxter is has a Canadian-like system, and others here can explain it better than I could.

Footslogger
02-25-2005, 19:00
I have done some looking around and cant get ALL the places I need a pass or reservation. I've been planning this for a while and feel like I'm going to be rushed due to the fact that I dont have this info. I understand that I will need reservations in the smokies and Baxter, but I'm sure these arent the only places are they? I dont want to have to stop in the middle of hiking and have to figure out where to gt a pass. Please help. Your info is greatly appreciated. God Bless.===================================
To my knowledge there are 3 places where registration/passes are required:

Smokies
Shennies
Baxter State Park

'Slogger

TJ aka Teej
02-25-2005, 22:54
Baxter provides 12 spots for northbound longdistance hikers that have completed the 100 Mile Wilderness. You get one night at the Birches campsite (two shelters, tent platform, good hammocking trees, bear bagging cable system, nice campfire set-up), and pay the same $12 per-person fee that all Park vistors pay. To get one of the 12 spots you need to sign up at the Baxter Park Information Kiosk about one flat AT mile north of Abol Bridge. If you aren't one of the 12, you must wait and camp outside the Park, or hike in and hope the Rangers can find you a vacancy somewhere.
more info: http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html

Frosty
02-26-2005, 01:09
Baxter provides 12 spots for northbound longdistance hikers that have completed the 100 Mile Wilderness. You get one night at the Birches campsite (two shelters, tent platform, good hammocking trees, bear bagging cable system, nice campfire set-up), and pay the same $12 per-person fee that all Park vistors pay. To get one of the 12 spots you need to sign up at the Baxter Park Information Kiosk about one flat AT mile north of Abol Bridge. If you aren't one of the 12, you must wait and camp outside the Park, or hike in and hope the Rangers can find you a vacancy somewhere.
more info: http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.htmlSo what happens if after your one night the rangers close the mountain the next day due to storm and don't allow you to climb K?

bearbag hanger
02-26-2005, 05:36
You gotta wait somewheres else. Sometimes you might get lucky and there will be a cabin at Diacey Pond or Kidney Pond or maybe a different campsite at Birches (they have 12 for thur hikers only, but a whole lot more for everyone else). If nothing there, then it's a hitch into Millnocket.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2005, 05:52
The whole Baxter Park thing is a farce. Stealthing is the way.

plodder
02-26-2005, 06:52
The whole Baxter Park thing is a farce. Stealthing is the way.
The rangers seem to be pretty busy collecting money and riding around in pickups. I think they have their hands full keeping the knuckleheads from killing themselves or others. Discreet. Out of sight, out of mind.

OverUnder
03-04-2005, 13:28
Stealthing is key. Nobody is going to hitch into Millinocket and back - ruins the dramatic finish and is a logistical pain. Ideally, get to Baxter before October when the weather starts turning colder and a class 3 or 4 day is more likely. Otherwise don't hitch into town. Try to hitch around the park to Abol Bridge and stealth just inside the 100-mile, then hitch back to the base of Katahdin and make another summit attempt.

The Solemates
03-04-2005, 13:35
Stealthing is key. Nobody is going to hitch into Millinocket and back - ruins the dramatic finish and is a logistical pain.

We did....and spent the night, waiting on family members to arrive and climb the big K with us. In fact, we took a zero. Funny cause it didnt seem to ruin our trip...