PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get in contact with some one who has compleated a NOBO. Need advice

theresmorethanthis
10-06-2011, 02:17
Just want advice first hand. what to prepare for. what I wont need and will need. leaving in march 2012

Maddog
10-06-2011, 02:39
Welcome to Whiteblaze! Check out the articles on the left side of the home page.

Don H
10-06-2011, 05:53
My biggest concern was if I was bringing enough and the right type of clothing. Here's what I ended up with, you can read the thread where I asked for opinions here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?70421-Clothing-for-a-Thru-Starting-3-13!&highlight=

Clothing for a Thru Starting 3/13!
I'm heading out in 3 days and am comfortable with all my gear except my clothing list. Is this enough?

Clothes, packed:
(# to left is weight in oz.)
03 1 pair underwear,
05 2 pair Smartwool socks
04 Wind Shirt, Patagonia Houdini
08 Thermal bottoms, Capiline3
07 Thermal top, Capiline 3
13 Jacket, Patagonia Down Sweater
11 Crocs
02 Knit cap
02 Gloves

Items worn:
17 NorthFace convertible pants
05 EMS Short sleeve shirt
03 1 pair underwear
07 Long sleeve, Smartwool light-weight crew
03 Socks, Smartwool
03 Ball Cap

Don H
10-06-2011, 06:02
Also DriDucks rain gear. You might get better advice if you ask a specific question. There is a lot of info in the articles posted and past posts. Hope this helps.

4shot
10-06-2011, 07:13
This place is a nice resource but you will get conflicting advice on various things. You may simplify things a bit by trying to meet with former thru-hikers. Check around at your local outfitter or REI (there were two former thru's working at the one closest to me). When researching my hike, I met with four guys that I didn't know who had hiked and they were all willing to help me out. At the end of the day, based on my experience and reading the posts of others here, most people fret over gear way more than is necessary. Any adjustments to your gear that you need/want can be made fairly easy while on the hike. Gear fixation consumes 90% of the preplanning while in reality does not impact the hike all that much.

sbhikes
10-06-2011, 13:13
^^What he said. You can even buy gear from a great shop at the ~30 mile mark on the AT if something isn't working.

Slo-go'en
10-06-2011, 13:51
Just want advice first hand. what to prepare for. what I wont need and will need. leaving in march 2012

Wow, were to start? You rname is approperate, as there is a LOT more to this then you might now imagine. You really need to do some basic research, then ask specific questions. What your asking right now is for someone to teach you all they know in one thread, while what you need to learn can and has filled books.

max patch
10-06-2011, 14:14
If you can already hike for a week then you know about 90% of what you need to know.

If you talk to one person you will only get that persons input.

If you ask on a forum you will be exposed to everyone's input - which will not lead to the "one true answer" as that does not exist. You will also get "advice" from people who have not done a thru hike yet - and maybe never will.

Don't overthink it; planning is not really that big a deal.

Spokes
10-06-2011, 14:17
These are the only two articles I needed to prepare for my 2009 NOBO. Ignore any pop up screens and print them out for reference.

The first is a 10 page article that gives you a wonderful breakdown of what to expect in each section, covers nutrition, and some trail etiquette.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530

Next is a tried and true cold weather gear list. Add a trash compactor bag for a pack liner and a 100 weight fleece jacket if you want. Tweak for summer to go even lighter.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Send me a PM if you have questions.

Cheers!

58starter
10-06-2011, 16:14
I am going up to hike Sam's Gap to Erwin, Tn the week of Nov. 7th. It is only 24 miles but it will be cold and fun. My nephew from NC is going with me also. If you would like a trial hike to see what cold weather is like you are welcome to come along.

Wizard 2009
10-06-2011, 18:05
It sounds strange, but the best way to learn is to just start your thru. Trust me you'll quickly figure out the big things.

The advice already posted is really helpful, look through the articles and they will help you to get in the right frame of mind.

Feel free to PM me if you have/need help with specific questions.

4shot
10-06-2011, 19:34
If you can already hike for a week then you know about 90% of what you need to know.

Don't overthink it; planning is not really that big a deal.

what u said is the truth but also a bit of a pardox - one can't appreciate how simple a thru-hike actually is until after the fact.way too much stress/worry/planning for the most part and I was guilty of that too. I think people see the completion % and figure that it must be complicated. It's really not that hard - you just keep walking day after day until your done. If or when you do feel like quitting you don't. It's just that simple. Gear is irrelevant providing you can stay warm/dry when needed.

hikerboy57
10-06-2011, 19:53
every trip i take, I admit to overplanning, particularly my gear. I always seem compelled to go shopping to "fill in " on the things I dont have that might come in useful. at least half(if not all) gets returned to the store after Ive gone through the second phase of my planning- eliminating all the things I never needed before but suddenly had an urge to buy. I just ask myself, what do I really need this for? and Can I do without it? It IS very simple, this hiking thing, but in our society, nothing should be simple. we're brainwashed into thinking theres a much more complicated way of living thats right for everyone, and that if you havent gotten heavily in debt buying the stuff the commercials tell you you need, well then somehow you're unamerican .Backpacking has taught me to live with less, and that I dont need a droid or an iphone to enjoy a sunrise, or to enjoy the company of another hiker, or to enjoy life.

theresmorethanthis
10-07-2011, 03:33
I think for the most part I might be over-thinking... Ive done three different hikes on the AT all in Georgia. One as long as a week. Ive always had a blast and honestly always had to slow down for my fellow hikers. I just know very little about cold weather camping and how cold it will really get. Just maybe taking too much food or spending too much $ on food. So... Food and cold weather clothing.

How cold will it get leaving in March?
How do I tell if what clothing I'm getting will do the job?
I could buy the Mountain House meals, Along with snacks granola bars ect....6 of these meals a week would be like $350... or is there a better alternative or is this a good buy?

theresmorethanthis
10-07-2011, 03:39
I think as I get more info like you gave me and then read and look a photos on the AT Im starting to get a much better idea. thank you. seems like it never really got that cold at all, did it? I live in fl so cold is just not something I know much about.

theresmorethanthis
10-07-2011, 03:40
I think as I get more info like you gave me and then read and look a photos on the AT Im starting to get a much better idea. thank you. seems like it never really got that cold at all, did it? I live in fl so cold is just not something I know much about.

flatfeet
10-07-2011, 04:49
One of the things that I REALLY wished I had discovered before I spent allot of money on gear that
worked marginally well was Ray Jardine's Trail life.

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Trail-Life/index.htm

T (http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Trail-Life/index.htm)he book really breaks down countless myths about hiking, gear, etc. And also filters out what you will need and what you won't need.

One of the other things I would do is skip the big box hiking retailers like REI. Your best bet IMHO would be to make allot of the gear yourself. It really isn't that tough. But If it is too much of an undertaking I would head to the smaller hiking retailers? Why? There gear is specifically built by former thru hikers who really understand what works on the trail as opposed to what looks good in the shops. Much of there gear is POUNDS lighter than the stuff you'll find in the big retailers.

Check out hyperlite, lightheart, minibull designs, whitebox stoves, Zpacks.

Also check out the UL section of WB. That sections gives great ideas as to slash weight. Last year my total weight 3 days food and water was 32 lbs. This year my total weight with 3 days food and water is 23

flatfeet
10-07-2011, 05:00
hyperlite moutain gear....sorry

Don H
10-07-2011, 06:22
My advice:
Make sure you have good shoes. Ones that you've hikes in and know they are comfortable and you can walk all day in.
And when you get to Vermont, TURN RIGHT! (You'll figure it out when you get there)