PDA

View Full Version : Addis Gap to Deep Gap advice??

Dr_Steamer
10-06-2011, 09:36
Hello all,

first time post...hope to have many more:D

Me and my bro-in-laws are going to be hiking Addis gap to Deep gap end of October. Had a few questioins for those who have recently hiked this section:

1. What's the available water situation like?
2. How hard is the hike to Sharp top (next peak after Bly) gonna be? I looked at my topo map and it looks brutal.
3. Any suggestons on a good camping spot?
4. Any other advice/stories about this section would also be greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any information you all can provide.

Dr_Steamer

Gray Blazer
10-06-2011, 09:43
The climb out of Bly is not that bad. It's not like you are gaining 4000 ft in 4 miles (those are the rough climbs on the AT IMO). It does get you up in the Carolina highlands really quick. There is a nice spot at the top of the climb out of Dicks Creek Gap. Lots of camping at Plum Orchard. One of my favorites are the tent sites on the ridge above Muskrat Creek shelter. Get your water before coming to the shelter. The water source goes right by the latrine.:eek:

scope
10-06-2011, 09:46
From Addis, really? You getting dropped off at the end of the Wildcat Creek forest rd and walking up to Addis Gap?

Sierra Echo
10-06-2011, 09:52
I hiked Deep Gap to Dicks Creek last weekend. The section is VERY dry. Make sure to get extra water at Plumorchard. Bly is down to a small trickle and it ain't rained since then.

max patch
10-06-2011, 09:56
From Addis, really? You getting dropped off at the end of the Wildcat Creek forest rd and walking up to Addis Gap?

Whats wrong with that? I've done that a lot - and back when LaPradds Camp was open I did it a whole lot.

Dr_Steamer
10-06-2011, 09:59
Scope,

We take two trucks and leave them at each point. Leave one at Addis gap...and yeah we gotta hike .5 mile to get to the trailhead, but no biggy. It's actually a really nice drive in on Wildcat Creek.

scope
10-06-2011, 10:08
Whats wrong with that? I've done that a lot - and back when LaPradds Camp was open I did it a whole lot.

Oh, absolutely nothin', just seemed like an odd place to "put in" to me and wanted to clarify before giving advice on the section. Its 21m so I guess that's a good weekend's worth of hiking, so maybe I'm just odd. I think I'd rather not try to tackle Kelly Knob first thing, though.

phobos
10-06-2011, 10:54
I hiked Deep Gap to Dicks Creek last weekend. The section is VERY dry. Make sure to get extra water at Plumorchard. Bly is down to a small trickle and it ain't rained since then.

Agree with the water suggestions. I did this hike last weekend. I did the the hike after bly was a little challenging. Had me out of breath :] Course, this was my 3rd day on the trail.

phobos
10-06-2011, 10:55
[QUOTE=phobos;1206592]Agree with the water suggestions. I did this hike last weekend. I did the the hike after bly was a little challenging. Had me out of breath :] Course, this was my 3rd day on the trail.[/QUOTE *EDIT* I meant to say, The hike after bly was a little changing to me.