PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands to Damascus Early November

Jay B.
10-06-2011, 10:43
Would appreciate some information about going south from Grayson Highlands/ Mount Rogers to Damascus. Going to catch a shuttle up but not exactly sure where the drop off is at Mount Rogers. I want to do around 30-35 miles in 2 days, no more than that so where do you suggest I start south. Also would appreciate good shelter or campsite 15-18 miles in for the 1st night. Thanks in advance! Jay B.

Serial 07
10-06-2011, 11:17
i beat wolf!

anyway, for that, i would contact either sundog or mount rogers and ask them for a shuttle to massie gap...that's in the middle of grayson highlands state park and will give you a great opportunity to experience the area...there is a shelter, let's see, 5 miles from there, 17 miles from there and 29 miles from there...all very much approximated, but you can find out the distances exactly online easily...there's plenty of great camping along the way as well...

have fun!

Lone Wolf
10-06-2011, 13:23
or contact me for a shuttle.

corialice81
10-07-2011, 09:23
I did that section in one day and made a video here: http://youtu.be/4_aof-dwgPE

Rick500
10-07-2011, 10:30
Did that section twice. It's gorgeous. You'll love it.
Call Lone Wolf...if not, call Mt. Rogers Outfitters.
There is a long-term backpackers' parking lot in the park. Be sure you go to the right lot--there is also a day parking lot nearby.
The long-term lot is a loop with a grassy area and a bulletin board in the middle.

Tennessee Viking
10-07-2011, 10:51
You may want to contact BearPaw. He is another Chattanoogan that knows a lot about the trail. Cabin Fever is another one, but he may not be on here anymore. But Lonewolf and Serial should be your best local Damascus contacts.

But expect below freezing temps and possibility of snow.

There are not a lot of shelters south of Graysons. Thomas Knob, Lost Mtn, and Saunders. But there are plenty of campsites.

Most of the shuttles out of Damascus will take you to most or if not all the trailheads. Mt Rogers visitor center, Grayson Highlands, Elk Gardens, Creek Junction.

SawnieRobertson
10-07-2011, 12:01
I did that section in one day and made a video here: http://youtu.be/4_aof-dwgPE

This is the kind of shape that my IronmanX 3 believes I should be in when I begin the trail. (ho-ho) Yee, gads! What a walk. Thanks.--Kinnickinic

wornoutboots
10-09-2011, 17:31
I have hiked this section several times, I believe it's cheaper to get shuttled to Fox Creek even though it's a bit father because it's a shorter & direct driving route. The hike from Fox Creek starts you out just N of Old Orchard Shelter & you will get to see all of the Highlands including the Scales & there are some great spots to camp all along this section! Enjoy

Papa D
10-09-2011, 21:03
Make sure to stay at Thomas Knob Shelter - it's one of the best

Lone Wolf
10-09-2011, 21:14
Make sure to stay at Thomas Knob Shelter - it's one of the bestbest for what? there are tons of awesome campsites. that shelter is ugly. my opinion

wornoutboots
10-10-2011, 18:30
best for what? there are tons of awesome campsites. that shelter is ugly. my opinion

And always very very crowded & windy, camp within a 1/2 to 1mile before it, there are many great spots with amazing views, at the shelter all you have is a view of 3 walls & a pile of rocks out front :)