PDA

View Full Version : Underwear issues

elytis
10-06-2011, 11:22
Hey Guys and gals,

I about to do a section hike of the CT section of the AT. I am looking to do about 15 miles a day for 4 days to complete it. The last time I went hiking I bought a new pair of compression shorts and used them for a short 5 mile solo hike. Issues arose after about 3 miles with severe chaffage and blisters,(due to the seams of the underwear/shorts) in places I never want blisters again. I couldn't sit down or walk and sleep was uncomfortable. I was looking for some solution to this. I have heard about seamless shorts but haven't been able to find them online. What do you guys do to prevent such issuse?

Elytis

RoadTrippin
10-06-2011, 11:35
This is something that has plagued me for most of my life. About 2 months ago, I was told to try the UnderArmor X series, 9inch underwear. I was reluctant at $20 a pair for undies! I bought a pair on the way to a day hike and changed in the bathroom. I walked 14 miles that day in 95 degree FL heat, and I actually forgot what chaffing was! I have since bought many more pairs, and would not walk for any distance without them. A product that has truly changed my life as far as activities go!

Smooth & Wasabi
10-06-2011, 11:38
I've been using the synthetic boxer briefs from walmart, I think they are starter brand. I have never had chaffing or blisters and they are about as seemless as any ive used. I have several other brands that work just as well for me and are costlier but all seem to have more seems. Not knowing the specifics of your problem I would experiment with some different combos at home. At ten bucks a pair they are cheap enough to experiment with.

Old Hiker
10-06-2011, 11:45
Campmor.com - Wickers - $15.

Feral Bill
10-06-2011, 12:07
Or go commando.

Longshot
10-06-2011, 12:10
It is not uncommon for thru-hikers to go without underwear

Grampie
10-06-2011, 14:22
When I did my thru I used shorts with a mesh liner and no underwear. Worked great for me. No problems with chafing rubbing etc. I don't know what I would wear if I was going to hike in cold weather when long pants would be required.

Doc Mike
10-06-2011, 14:22
exofficio and body glide. problem solved

Majortrauma
10-06-2011, 14:27
Commando + Kilt = ZERO chaffing.

RWheeler
10-06-2011, 15:07
I use C9 compression boxer-briefs from Target. I've done multiple 15+ mile day hikes in them on dry, hot days, to cool, rainy days; never had any sort of chaffing.

Frankenfoot
10-06-2011, 17:19
I use these as well and they are fricken awesome! They are also anti-microbial for a long while...so less stinky on the dinky ay. You could always get a hiking kilt too and show your goods when resting.

Frankenfoot
10-06-2011, 17:22
I used Exofficio...and occasionally body glide if necessary. Going commando has its problems as well. You may get a little raw on the tip if ya know what I mean.

MuddyWaters
10-06-2011, 17:33
Walmart starter synthetic boxer briefs work good for me. Fairly light too, and a lot cheaper than ex-off or patagonia.

I dont quite understand how snug fitting compression shorts could chafe.

I have walked at least 10 miles in damp cotton underwear and blue jeans without chafing.

Wise Old Owl
10-06-2011, 17:48
He nailed when he said the seams are in the wrong places - in short he's wearing the wrong shorts..

You wouldn't hike ten miles as an adult in tighty whity's - you sweat then chafe - then it gets SWAMPY.

Tron-Life
10-06-2011, 17:50
i recommend you try and find some thin spandex running shorts. i use them without underwear so they get a bit smelly but so far they are the best thing ive found. long, synthetic or wool underwear should be ok but my legs are really fat so boxer briefs tend to ride up and get into a bunch, not fun after several hours, so thin running shorts work for me. i wouldn't recommend going commando though, doing so will funk up your slacks with dickass and you will leave yourself open to some very uncomfortable chafing indeed.

lemon b
10-06-2011, 17:51
Water shorts commando works for me. The only chaffing issues I've ever had are in the South and not in the mountains, it was more of a fungis then rubbing. This script topicort worked.

Tron-Life
10-06-2011, 17:55
as far as running shorts go... feel free to buy the female varieties, they tend to be the thinner than unisex or male styles, just make sure they fit right.

Frankenfoot
10-06-2011, 18:29
One other thing on this, it is the sweat that dries to salt crystals that cause the problem mostly. When your legs dry out and are salty as a result, like after a break, the chaffing slowly starts working on you.

Blissful
10-06-2011, 18:58
Hubby likes his sportkilt (http://www.sportkilt.com/category/52/Hiking-Kilt.html) and uses body glide (http://www.amazon.com/BodyGlide-BGCB-Bodyglide-Original-Anti-Chafe/dp/B005L8YVRO).

Wizard 2009
10-06-2011, 19:09
Commando + Kilt = ZERO chaffing.

Totally agree with the kilt...picked mine up in damascus and was 1500 chafe free

Wizard 2009
10-06-2011, 19:10
1500 miles chafe free

Walkintom
10-06-2011, 19:34
I apply a swipe of stick deodorant (any of the common kinds seem to work) to the inside of each thigh. Since I started that the underwear don't seem to matter. I used to chafe after about 10 miles but never chafe with the deodorant trick.

hikingshoes
10-06-2011, 20:14
I've used stick deodorant to my thighs as well. I've also used it on my feet for blister's (not the same stick).HS

Sarcasm the elf
10-06-2011, 20:32
I usually pack a pair of ex-officio boxers, but if it's hot out I end up only wearing them about half of the time and going commando more often.

As someone already mentioned the dried salts from sweating cause a lot of the problem. I've found that a quick cleanup with a wet handkerchief every so often can help to improve the situation.

paistes5
10-06-2011, 23:14
The only time I've experienced chafing is when I hiked commando. I usually wear Under Armor bicycle style shirts and have zero issues.

icemanat95
10-07-2011, 00:01
I chafed like crazy wearing running shorts with the mesh liner. and the mesh would grab hairs and pull them out rather painfully. Not fun. Wicking underwear didn't do the job back then either. Compression shorts did the job for me in 1995 and I continue to wear them for sweaty activities like my daily job. I wear Terramar boxer briefs (purchased cheaply at Sierra Trading Post). I also wear Nike, Underarmor, Champion and Starter Boxer briefs all with equally good results. Sometimes body glide or Balmex is needed for prevention or treatment of some hygeine related issues. Staying clean makes a very big difference. During my worst chaffing in Shenandoah, I got rid of the synthetic briefs and the mesh liners and went commando. It worked pretty well. It should be noted that most commandos in training these days seem to wear Under Armor boxer briefs. They do not wear underarmor shirts because they melt rather dramatically when exposed to flames and arc flashes associated with IEDs and the like. They have some pretty nice options though. Another issue though.

squirrel1
10-07-2011, 09:23
I wear spandex shorts. Turn them inside out so bad side of the seam is away from the skin. Works great. I may drop my Wal-Mart or Target to pick up a pair of the shorts mentioned eariler and give them a try.

SMSP
10-07-2011, 09:59
I swear by Under Armour! I have changed my entire underwear stock to UA. Yeah, they're costly, but they last for a very long time. I started wearing UA back in 1998 or so, and those particular pairs are now starting to show wear. I do not think I have thrown a pair away yet. So, for longevity, I'd say they are a huge value. Also, when one is in the middle of chaffing a issue, the cost for instant relief is priceless IMO.

Anyway, UA is my reccomendation, but not the only solution. Good Luck.

SMSP

Lyle
10-07-2011, 10:03
Commando or water shorts with mesh liner - both work well for me.

Nightly wipe down of area with wet bandanna or wet wipe solves most of the problem, plus you feel/smell much better long-term.

On rare occasions when chaffing occurs (usually only on rainy/wet days when shorts get and stay damp) a clean-up before bed and a light dusting of Gold Bond medicated solves the problem completely by morning. One small baggy of Gold Bond lasts a long time and is a light/compact addition to first aid kit.

Trailbender
10-07-2011, 10:22
Vassarette hi cut panties.

Rick500
10-07-2011, 10:28
Ex-Officio boxer briefs work for me.

scope
10-07-2011, 10:46
If Andre Agassi can win the French open going commando, then I think I can let loose while hiking!

IMO, if you wear your hiking underwear in your everyday life, then its much less likely you'll have a problem on the trail.

moondoggie
10-07-2011, 11:09
Commando - no issues for 2181 miles!

Airmed802
10-07-2011, 16:03
Another vote for the Wal-mart starter brand compression shorts. Never had an issue.

squirrel1
10-08-2011, 17:55
Arighty - I picked up a pair of the Starter synthetic shorts yesterday. Wore them today - very nice. I will probably pick up a few more pairs.

Wise Old Owl
10-09-2011, 10:54
I apply a swipe of stick deodorant (any of the common kinds seem to work) to the inside of each thigh. Since I started that the underwear don't seem to matter. I used to chafe after about 10 miles but never chafe with the deodorant trick.

Some people wear deodorants to cover up underarm smells, but if you sweat a lot, you probably need an antiperspirant to slow down the production of underarm sweat. Our bodies are constantly producing sweat, but there are certain times when they produce a lot more. Additional sweat is produced to cool down our bodies when we are exposed to heat, physical exertion, stress or nervousness. When the sweat gland is stimulated, the cells secrete a fluid that travels from the coiled portion of the gland up through the straight duct and out onto the surface of our skin.

Solid antiperspirants are made with several ingredients, including wax, a liquid emollient and an active-ingredient compound. It's the active ingredient that gives antiperspirants their sweat-blocking power. All antiperspirants have an aluminum-based compound as their main ingredient. If you look at the back of an antiperspirant container, the aluminum-based compound is always the first ingredient listed. Here are a few of the common active ingredients:

Aluminum chloride
Aluminum zirconium tricholorohydrex glycine
Aluminum chlorohydrate
Aluminum hydroxybromide

The aluminum ions are taken into the cells that line the eccrine-gland ducts at the opening of the epidermis, the top layer of the skin, says dermatologist Dr. Eric Hanson of the University of North Carolina's Department of Dermatology. When the aluminum ions are drawn into the cells, water passes in with them. As more water flows in, the cells begin to swell, squeezing the ducts closed so that sweat can't get out.
Each cell can only draw in a certain amount of water, so eventually, the concentrations of water -- outside and inside the cells -- reach equilibrium. When this happens, the water inside the cell begins to pass back out of the cell through osmosis, and the cell's swelling goes down. This is why people have to re-apply antiperspirant. For those who suffer from excessive sweating, hyperhydrosis, aluminum chloride in high concentrations can prolong the swelling and may ultimately shrink the sweat gland, decreasing the amount of sweat it can produce.

These products are regulated by the FDA.

These products are for under arm areas only. They carry a "Warning" label for several good reasons. The product is labeled above "Caution" that using the product inconsistent with the original use can make you very sick. Using it on a rash or broken skin will prevent healing. In short using this product is worse than covering yourself in Deet. in a few cases people have died from antiperspirant , by not following the label.

Trailbender
10-09-2011, 12:54
Some people wear deodorants to cover up underarm smells, but if you sweat a lot, you probably need an antiperspirant to slow down the production of underarm sweat. Our bodies are constantly producing sweat, but there are certain times when they produce a lot more. Additional sweat is produced to cool down our bodies when we are exposed to heat, physical exertion, stress or nervousness. When the sweat gland is stimulated, the cells secrete a fluid that travels from the coiled portion of the gland up through the straight duct and out onto the surface of our skin.

Solid antiperspirants are made with several ingredients, including wax, a liquid emollient and an active-ingredient compound. It's the active ingredient that gives antiperspirants their sweat-blocking power. All antiperspirants have an aluminum-based compound as their main ingredient. If you look at the back of an antiperspirant container, the aluminum-based compound is always the first ingredient listed. Here are a few of the common active ingredients:

Aluminum chloride
Aluminum zirconium tricholorohydrex glycine
Aluminum chlorohydrate
Aluminum hydroxybromide

The aluminum ions are taken into the cells that line the eccrine-gland ducts at the opening of the epidermis, the top layer of the skin, says dermatologist Dr. Eric Hanson of the University of North Carolina's Department of Dermatology. When the aluminum ions are drawn into the cells, water passes in with them. As more water flows in, the cells begin to swell, squeezing the ducts closed so that sweat can't get out.
Each cell can only draw in a certain amount of water, so eventually, the concentrations of water -- outside and inside the cells -- reach equilibrium. When this happens, the water inside the cell begins to pass back out of the cell through osmosis, and the cell's swelling goes down. This is why people have to re-apply antiperspirant. For those who suffer from excessive sweating, hyperhydrosis, aluminum chloride in high concentrations can prolong the swelling and may ultimately shrink the sweat gland, decreasing the amount of sweat it can produce.

These products are regulated by the FDA.

These products are for under arm areas only. They carry a "Warning" label for several good reasons. The product is labeled above "Caution" that using the product inconsistent with the original use can make you very sick. Using it on a rash or broken skin will prevent healing. In short using this product is worse than covering yourself in Deet. in a few cases people have died from antiperspirant , by not following the label.

The aluminum compounds are the main reason I only use deodorants. Been using deodorant only for years now with no issues.

bflorac
10-10-2011, 02:28
exofficio and body glide. problem solved
I agree 100%.

Odd Man Out
10-10-2011, 12:05
I like Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly for rashes, irritations, chaffing, etc, no matter where they are located. It has a low density. It also doubles as a fire starter.

TyTy
10-10-2011, 14:24
I tried the body glide stuff... didn't like it, felt gross. If I went commando I would get chaffing between my legs. I wear Under Armour boxers kind of like compression shorts but they have a fly opening. I have not chaffed once using them. The brand does not matter in my opinion, the fit matters. You want them to be nicely tight, not cut of blood flow but no wrinkles and no looseness. I kind of hike up each side to makes sure they are up in my crotch good and forming a barrier between my legs. When wearing them I have hiked in hot, humid, southern conditions sweating all day with zero issues. It just forms a barrier over the skin, the boxers would have to develop a hole before it would be possible to chafe.

Sir-Packs-Alot
10-10-2011, 22:12
I have great success with this problem using REI wicking briefs and diaper rash cream. If you are not familiar with diaper rash cream amd how tenacious it is - you can be in the midst of a bad rash situation in the midst of a weeklong backpack and put this on - and it'll fix you up better than body glide, gold bond cream or powder ... try it.

ChinMusic
10-10-2011, 22:14
This is something that has plagued me for most of my life. About 2 months ago, I was told to try the UnderArmor X series, 9inch underwear. I was reluctant at $20 a pair for undies! I bought a pair on the way to a day hike and changed in the bathroom. I walked 14 miles that day in 95 degree FL heat, and I actually forgot what chaffing was! I have since bought many more pairs, and would not walk for any distance without them. A product that has truly changed my life as far as activities go!

This..........

stranger
10-10-2011, 22:18
Hey Guys and gals,

I about to do a section hike of the CT section of the AT. I am looking to do about 15 miles a day for 4 days to complete it. The last time I went hiking I bought a new pair of compression shorts and used them for a short 5 mile solo hike. Issues arose after about 3 miles with severe chaffage and blisters,(due to the seams of the underwear/shorts) in places I never want blisters again. I couldn't sit down or walk and sleep was uncomfortable. I was looking for some solution to this. I have heard about seamless shorts but haven't been able to find them online. What do you guys do to prevent such issuse?

Elytis

Spend money, good underwear should run you anywhere from $20-40/pair in the US, easy. Try it on, make sure it fits. I find going down a size works well, keeps things in place better and fits tighter. Also, carry some anti-chaf cream for overnight use - works wonders.

Sarcasm the elf
10-10-2011, 22:21
I forgot to add that Gold Bond is your best friend, the small bottles in the sample/travel isle at most supermarkets are about the right size for a week long section hike in the summer.

I never thought of using diaper rash cream as Sir-Packs-Alot mentioned, but I might give it a try.

ChinMusic
10-10-2011, 22:38
I forgot to add that Gold Bond is your best friend, the small bottles in the sample/travel isle at most supermarkets are about the right size for a week long section hike in the summer.

I never thought of using diaper rash cream as Sir-Packs-Alot mentioned, but I might give it a try.

I'm not a fan of Gold Bond. I AM a friend of Desitin. I carry some in a tiny makeup jar I stole from the wife. Sometimes it is the most important thing in the pack..........not kidding.

wwbriggs
10-11-2011, 01:18
Switched to UnderArmor Boxers and other similar. I have several different boxers made from Poly and, or CoolMax. I don't have these type problems anymore. SieraTrading or TJ Max sell them on the cheap by other brand names such as Reebok and ExOfficio. As long as they are boxers made out of a wicking material such as Poly or CoolMax, they dry fast when wet and let air wear it needs to be to prevent a microclimate from happening where you don't want it.

Someone else mentioned Glide. I have used Glide during longer running events and it works. For hiking and backpacking, I have found that the above shorts with GoldBond Powder keeps things in check with no Chafe or rash.

wwbriggs
10-11-2011, 01:22
Gold Bond is your friend. If you have a rash, then any of the foot powders with "Athlete's Foot" or "Antifungal" work great too.

TyTy
10-11-2011, 09:52
I agree if you get chaffing, gold bond (I like the green medicated) is the way to heal it. However, I prevent chaffing by wearing Under Armour boxers. I don't like the idea of getting chaffing out on the trail so I would do everything I can to prevent it.

I think a lot of this has to do with big guys/girls versus small people. Sometimes small people just don't understand the issue and will recommend something like going commando or a little body glide or something. Big people (yes sometimes overweight, I am 250-260lbs) our legs touch in the crotch area. If there is loose clothing in there it compounds the rubbing. Plus (I know this is gross, sorry) I am hairy all over. Even just the skin and hair rubbing together can cause chaffing. Thin people just don't understand. I have had debilitating chaffing. As in I can't walk normal...need to stop...can't go on. It can sneak up on you especially when wet all day from rain or sweat. You might go to sleep with a slight irritation and wake up to where you can not physically walk normal. The only way (in my opinion/situation) is to put a barrier between the area so that the friction is on the barrier not your skin. If you tried to do that with body glide or deodorant you would have to stop every mile and re-apply the stuff in large quantities. I highly suggest big guys try finding a good fitting pair of compression shorts or tight synthetic boxers. For myself and others I know, it's like eliminating the issue, done...never worry about it again. No body glide or vasoline could provide this level of protection.

SassyWindsor
10-11-2011, 13:32
http://media.rei.com/media/pp/cca3f493-8b60-476e-b6ed-4bce10451353.jpg

SassyWindsor
10-11-2011, 13:45
.........I actually use this stuff on my shoulders to relieve pack strap rubs. Also good for feet hot-spots when breaking in new boots.

bad marriage
10-13-2011, 11:51
The most comfortable hiking underwear I have is a couple old, torn up, pair of lightweight Capilene long johns that I cut off and now use for underwear. Really comfortable, weigh almost nothing, and were free...

barnanimal
10-13-2011, 14:05
I wear Under Armour compression shorts and apply Body Glide generously to the "taint" area :banana. Works great for long runs or hikes.

Toolshed
10-13-2011, 20:40
exofficio and body glide. problem solved Tripled Ditto. I went through what the OP did years ago. didn't want to spend $20 for Ex-Offico's (now $25) and got a few cases of monkey butt and thigh rash. just plain miserable!!! I went the route of Ex-Offico 10 years ago and and then added Body glide about 5-6 years ago. Never looked back and never, EVER, bought another tube of Desitin. I also use Body Glide on the soles of my feet before I put on socks as well as my inner thighs. Stuff is incredible.!!!

Trailbender
10-13-2011, 22:34
I used diaper rash ointment on my thru, worked great.

ChinMusic
10-13-2011, 22:48
I used diaper rash ointment on my thru, worked great.

Yep

I find that I do not need Body Glide any more...........ever.

I will use Hydropel on my feet but that is a totally different issue.