PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland Trail

Bjorkin
02-25-2005, 19:46
I've looked all over the CT site but I cannot figure out if or where there might be a continuous 2-4 day section completed. I'm looking to hike in my area of Cookeville and would love to try this trail and some new gear. Maybe I should just head to the Stone Door until the CT has better info.

Or I could join one of their dig projects coming up and learn first-hand. Anyone here digging on the CT this summer?

Tractor
02-25-2005, 20:04
Thanks for the post. I have heard only bits and pieces myself but am also interested. I was thinking Alabama Pinhote or Savage Gulf for a few day'er in late May but would consider Cumberland Trail. What else we got along the plateau? Oh, just heard about a place called.....darn it I can't remember now, but sorta south of Winchester and east of Paint Rock canyon. I do not know if there is any multimile trail there but a local friend is going soon and will report back. Wall(s) of Jericho maybe? Ever heard of this place?

It's been years since I was in Paint Rock canyon and I don't recall much "trail". There is potential but I do not know how the land is held/owned or of any future plans for "opening" for hikers. Anyone have any knowledge/comments on this place?

Bjorkin
02-25-2005, 20:28
I like to visit Big South Fork on the KY/TN border just north of Crossville and love the Honey Creek Trail but there isn't a lot of continuous trails there or at least that I know of. I'm basically tired of hiking in circles and ready for some linear motion, but the Stone Door is just another loop too.

I haven't heard of Paint Rock Canyon or Jericho. I guess I stay north of I-40 too much! I'll have to look into it. It's been years since I've been to Savage Gulf so that might be a good option for my first Spring hike.

Lilred
02-25-2005, 22:33
I like to visit Big South Fork on the KY/TN border just north of Crossville and love the Honey Creek Trail but there isn't a lot of continuous trails there or at least that I know of. I'm basically tired of hiking in circles and ready for some linear motion, but the Stone Door is just another loop too.

I was just talking to the ranger at Big South Fork last weekend, and he told me he had thru-hiked the park back in '98, so it can be done there. He said it was about 100 miles total. He started in the far north east corner in KY and hiked down to the south east corner near Rugby, Tn.

neo
02-25-2005, 22:46
call the cumberland trail conference for more info 931-456-6259

i have been working on the cumberland trail during big dig 2003-2004
and planning on working during big dig 2005.:sun neo

Bjorkin
02-26-2005, 11:43
Good idea Neo. Maybe I'll see you at the Big Dig this year too. :)