PDA

View Full Version : Water from Roan to 19E

bus
10-06-2011, 20:59
Probably hiking the top of Roan to 19E in mid-October. Anyone know the water situation at the spring just past the Grassy Ridge side track, ugh I mean side trail, the one at Stan Murray, and the gloriously wonderful spring at the Barn?

I didn't look for the one at Doll Flats, where in relation to that big rock on the right (NOBO) as you hit the wooded area of Doll Flats is the spring?

The water at the Applehouse shelter smelled awful so we just waited until we got to Mountain Harbour. There is that small cascade between Doll Flats and 19E that I could try to get water from.

If I get a late start after my drive up, is there any decent campsites between Carvers/Roan and the Barn-besides Stan Murray shelter?

Thanks!

Chaco Taco
10-06-2011, 21:55
There is a blue blaze at Doll Flats to the left as you go into the woods after the field

The Grassy Ridge water is iffy, even when its wet. Stan Murray usually has something. OM typically has the piped spring that you can get something out of.
Camel up when you can

People sometimes camp on the balds. Great spots on Grassy Ridge

Tennessee Viking
10-07-2011, 08:52
Chaco is right on. I actually installed a pipe at the Doll Flats location a couple years ago. During hot temps that source can dry up.

Just avoid taking the old road to the right at Doll Flats. It leads down to private property in Elk Park.

From the reports I heard from Mtn Squid. The water levels are low but still flowing even with recent rains. You may have to venture downhill a little from normal sources. But definitely camel up.

The Rodo Gardens should be closing soon if they haven't already.

Just a Hiker
10-07-2011, 09:23
I hiked that stretch of trail on Monday.....Grassy Ridge is just a wet spot and Stan Murry is just a trickle, and I didn't go down to the Overmountain or Doll Flats water sources. Apple House had the best running water from Carvers Gap to 19E.

dc101
10-09-2011, 10:57
I was hiking through Hughes Gap to 19E 10/5, 10/6. Didn't stop at the Roan High Knob Shelter or Grassy Ridge. Concur Stan Murray was a trickle. Didn't even attempt it. Overmountain was flowing nicely. The spring that crosses the trail 3/10 S of the campsite in the woods near Bradley Gap was good but you need a dipper. Doll Flats was good too. Shelter sources at Cherry Gap and Clyde Smith, both S of Hughes Gap were both excellent. Great four days down there from Indian Grave Gap>19E, absolutely perfect weather.

bus
10-09-2011, 17:18
Thanks everyone. I may end up hiking with a friend. If that is the case we will probably do Winding Stair to NOC.
What is the water scene in that area?

I hate to start a new thread on that so hopefully some knowledgeable recent hikers of this area will speak up.

bus
10-11-2011, 15:08
Looks like I will be on trail the 17th NOBO from Carvers..