PDA

View Full Version : Jacket Question

thepokerkid227
10-06-2011, 23:05
Will be headin NOBO early March start, been looking into jackets and I like what I have read on the Patagonia Nanopuff full zip anyone else recommend it?

q-tip
10-07-2011, 10:36
I use the Marmot Mica-waterprof, 7.0 oz, and I got a Mont Bell down jacket, critically important for me because after hiking all day, the night gets really cold in ga in March.

Spokes
10-07-2011, 10:59
Like q-tip I too carry a Mont Bell down jacket and use it in camp. On occasion I throw in a 100 weight fleece jacket just to keep the chill off when stopping for lunch or enjoying a vista. I get too hot to hike in any sort of jacket though.

4eyedbuzzard
10-07-2011, 11:05
I have the pull-over 1/4 zip nanopuff. Lots of warmth for the weight. I replaced heavy weight base layer top for it as it's lighter. It's reasonably wind and water resistant as well, but definitely not rain gear. I carry it pretty much all the time here in NH as we can get some really cold summer evenings. I'd imagine the full zip (I'd love to find one on clearance) is similar in performance. With a 1 weight base layer and a Marmot precip shell, I'd call it good around camp to maybe the high 30's.

But I think you'll need another (or thicker) insulating layer for an early March start, you could see single digits in the southern mountains that time of year. The nano just won't be enough as "around camp" warmth if it's really cold. Maybe use another layer of some kind with the nano and send it home sometime in late April, or trade out a thicker layer for the nano.

Old Hiker
10-07-2011, 12:18
[QUOTE=4eyedbuzzard;1206859]I'd imagine the full zip (I'd love to find one on clearance) is similar in performance. With a 1 weight base layer and a Marmot precip shell, I'd call it good around camp to maybe the high 30's.QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=patagonia+nano+puff - depending on size: $125 - $179. Can't find any full zip for the advertised $92 yet.

4eyedbuzzard
10-07-2011, 12:29
[QUOTE=4eyedbuzzard;1206859]I'd imagine the full zip (I'd love to find one on clearance) is similar in performance. With a 1 weight base layer and a Marmot precip shell, I'd call it good around camp to maybe the high 30's.QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=patagonia+nano+puff - depending on size: $125 - $179. Can't find any full zip for the advertised $92 yet.
I got the pullover for $75 in spring of 2010 and even then I thought it somewhat pricey. I'm patient - and really cheap. What can I say? :o

Old Boots
10-07-2011, 12:37
I just picked up a Micro-therm Down Shirt from Eddie Bauer. It is 800 fill and seems extremely warm and light. Hoping it with a base layer and rain jacket should do for a mid Feb NOBO start.

thepokerkid227
10-07-2011, 15:13
I have the pull-over 1/4 zip nanopuff. Lots of warmth for the weight. I replaced heavy weight base layer top for it as it's lighter. It's reasonably wind and water resistant as well, but definitely not rain gear. I carry it pretty much all the time here in NH as we can get some really cold summer evenings. I'd imagine the full zip (I'd love to find one on clearance) is similar in performance. With a 1 weight base layer and a Marmot precip shell, I'd call it good around camp to maybe the high 30's.

But I think you'll need another (or thicker) insulating layer for an early March start, you could see single digits in the southern mountains that time of year. The nano just won't be enough as "around camp" warmth if it's really cold. Maybe use another layer of some kind with the nano and send it home sometime in late April, or trade out a thicker layer for the nano.

Will also have merino wool baselayering system for camp at night.

mirabela
10-07-2011, 18:55
I think you'll need another (or thicker) insulating layer for an early March start, you could see single digits in the southern mountains that time of year. The nano just won't be enough as "around camp" warmth if it's really cold. Maybe use another layer of some kind with the nano and send it home sometime in late April

Bingo. If between your baselayer and the nano you sandwich something like a midweight capilene or bergelene top, or a driclime windshirt, and then slap your shell over it, you should be OK for just about anything you'll encounter. If it is too cold to stand around in that, just get in your bag. It won't happen very often.

I have the nanopuff 1/4 zip, and I like it a lot.

The Cleaner
10-07-2011, 19:20
I have the Nano-Puff pullover and like it a lot.I wear a merino wool short sleeve t-shirt,Mountian Hardware 1/4 zip micro fleece then the Nano-Puff on top.If it's really cold&windy I throw my rain shell on to help out.This should get by till the temps get below the 20s.Then you will have to find some kind of Down&maybe drop the fleece layer.The bottom line is that in really cold weather you need to carry more stuff or risk being cold or getting in your sleeping bag sooner.At 9ozs the Nano Puff is well worth its weight...

map man
10-07-2011, 21:15
I've had the micropuff pullover (the similar jacket that preceded the nanopuff) for six years and I'm very happy with it. Lots of warmth for the weight. I wear it in camp. With my hiking shirt, my breathable rain jacket and micropuff I am good down into the 20s. I don't try to hike in it. I stuff it in a stuff sack when I turn in for the night and use it as a pillow. The pullover is significantly lighter than the full zip, which is nice. I got it for $75 when it was regularly $150 then, because it was a color they were discontinuing. I have no idea if you can ever find a nanopuff for that now.

mirabela
10-08-2011, 10:26
I got it for $75 when it was regularly $150 then, because it was a color they were discontinuing. I have no idea if you can ever find a nanopuff for that now.

I got mine for $60 shipped, like yours a discontinued color. It took some getting used to -- borderline hideous, really -- but functionally it's great.

thepokerkid227
10-08-2011, 17:34
Went looking today at a local outfitter, think I am going to go with the down version.

Cloudynesz
10-12-2011, 03:50
I had a nano puff pullover, while I returned it after a while. I don't like its baggy fit.