PDA

View Full Version : Active User List??

Downunda
02-25-2005, 20:50
This is a real dumb question but it's been bugging me for some time... On the home page of this site there is an active user list of those registered users currently logged on.

The question is, is why are some names highlighted in red?

Moose2001
02-25-2005, 20:57
2005 Hikers.

hikerjohnd
02-25-2005, 20:58
I'm glad you asked - I've been wondering the same thing... So far all I have come up with is that the red folks are prospective 2005 thru-hikers...

Allen66
02-25-2005, 21:17
I thought I was the only one who didn't know! Thought I missed something!:banana

SGT Rock
02-25-2005, 21:43
Class of 2005 AT thru-hikers.

Downunda
02-26-2005, 20:07
Thanks folks, now I'll be able to rest in peace.

One Thing
03-22-2005, 10:58
Class of 2005 AT thru-hikers.

I can't seem to find the link to add my name to the list of 2005 Thru hikers list. Any help would be great.

Thanks
One Thing

SGT Rock
03-22-2005, 10:59
When Troll gets on, he can tell you. He had some sort of system to join you to that list.

MOWGLI
03-22-2005, 11:04
Here's a question.

Some people can be logged on but never appear in the Active Users list. SMS and Lone Wolf are two who come to mind.

Is there a firewall or some other software that keeps them off of the list? Or are they taking some sort of masking agent like MLB players who are on steroids? :D

SGT Rock
03-22-2005, 11:12
Sure you can be "invisible". In your user CP, Find "Edit Options" on the left side of the screen. A set of options come up when you hit that link. The top one is:

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND><LABEL for=cb_invisible>Use Invisible Mode</LABEL></LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Invisible mode allows you to browse the forums without appearing in the 'Currently Active Users' lists.</TD></TR><TR><TD><LABEL for=cb_invisible><INPUT id=cb_invisible type=checkbox CHECKED value=1 name=options[invisible]>Use Invisible Mode</LABEL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET> <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND><LABEL for=cb_showvcard>Allow vCard Download</LABEL></LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>You may choose to allow other users to download a vCard containing your email address and username.

If you want to keep your email address private, do not allow vCard downloads. </TD></TR><TR><TD><LABEL for=cb_showvcard><INPUT id=cb_showvcard type=checkbox CHECKED value=1 name=options[showvcard]>Allow vCard Download</LABEL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>

Just make sure you check the invisibility mode and you cannot be seen except by an admin.

attroll
03-22-2005, 12:49
I can't seem to find the link to add my name to the list of 2005 Thru hikers list. Any help would be great.

Thanks
One Thing
Ok One Thing you in there.

One Thing
03-22-2005, 17:07
Ok One Thing you in there.
Thanks...
:sun

Pencil Pusher
03-27-2005, 00:14
I have a special mode the Free Masons gave me access to:

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND><LABEL for=cb_invisible>God Invincible Mode</LABEL></LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Invincible mode allows you to strike fear in the hearts of 'Currently Active Users' without suffering any webmaster or moderator consequences.</TD></TR><TR><TD><LABEL for=cb_invisible><INPUT id=cb_invisible type=checkbox CHECKED value=1 name=options[invisible]>Use Invincible Mode</LABEL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>

hikerjohnd
03-27-2005, 00:30
I have a special mode the Free Masons gave me access to:

<fieldset class="fieldset"><legend><label for="cb_invisible">God Invincible Mode</label></legend><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="3" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>Invincible mode allows you to strike fear in the hearts of 'Currently Active Users' without suffering any webmaster or moderator consequences.</td></tr><tr><td><label for="cb_invisible"><input id="cb_invisible" checked="checked" value="1" name="options[invisible]" type="checkbox">Use Invincible Mode</label></td></tr></tbody></table></fieldset>
I like this button:

SGT Rock
03-27-2005, 09:04
Someone had an idea to change the "Ignore" button to a "Shut the F*** Up" button.

prozac
03-27-2005, 19:28
Its 5 minutes later and I'm still laughing at that last post Rock. Who suggested it?

SGT Rock
03-27-2005, 19:48
I can't remember exactly, I think it was in an off topic forum. Someone posted with their Head firmly implanted in the third point of contact, which is something this person does regularly, and that came up.

Pencil Pusher
04-15-2005, 14:52
You know, the number of registered users would drop significantly is you deleted the accounts of people who never posted and were last online over a year ago... I was browsing around and pulled up the members list, then sorted by join date and started clicking on member's names with zero post count. Surprisingly enough, quite a few were last online back in 2002. I'm guessing then, the number of registered users would at least halve itself if you went through and updated. A tedious process the way I did it, but I'm sure the webmaster status would allow you more access to search parameters.

SGT Rock
04-15-2005, 15:21
It would. But then again there have been sites that I am member on I didn't check on for years but still occasionally go back to. I would hate for them to have deleted my account and then I have to go back and register again. They don't hur nuthin by being there. I also know of a user or two that have more than one account. Some of them we merged, some of them we haven't yet.

Tin Man
04-15-2005, 18:57
You know, the number of registered users would drop significantly is you deleted the accounts of people who never posted and were last online over a year ago... I was browsing around and pulled up the members list, then sorted by join date and started clicking on member's names with zero post count. Surprisingly enough, quite a few were last online back in 2002. I'm guessing then, the number of registered users would at least halve itself if you went through and updated. A tedious process the way I did it, but I'm sure the webmaster status would allow you more access to search parameters.

Yes, but then if everyone deleted their inactive users how would the likes of AOL be able to brag about their millions of users?

SGT Rock
04-15-2005, 19:02
Yes, or if some websites deleted their banned users. Which is another thing. A banned member still has a membership, otherwise they wouldn't be recognized when they try to log on.

attroll
04-16-2005, 00:15
I have to agree with what Rocks says. Also there are some users that have thru-hiked and are registered users on here that registered for the reason of keeping in touch with friends. Just because they have not posted does not mean they don't use the site and read the posts. They also may be using the Private Messaging system we have on the site. If you are not registered on the site then the NEW POST function does not work either. You have to be a registered user for it to keep track of the messages that you have not read.

Pencil Pusher
04-16-2005, 03:21
Cool beans, I didn't want to rock the boat. I understand what you both are saying and agree.

Hammock Hanger
04-16-2005, 07:39
Here's a question.

Some people can be logged on but never appear in the Active Users list. SMS and Lone Wolf are two who come to mind.

Is there a firewall or some other software that keeps them off of the list? Or are they taking some sort of masking agent like MLB players who are on steroids? :D
I knew that Ed's comment got to you...:)

Sue/HH

MOWGLI
04-16-2005, 08:34
I knew that Ed's comment got to you...:)

Sue/HH

Yup, now nobody can tell just how much time I spend on this site! :)

How you been lady?

Hammock Hanger
04-16-2005, 08:57
Yup, now nobody can tell just how much time I spend on this site! :)

How you been lady?
I missed seeing you at the FTA Conference. I gave a presentation and then had to leave as my FIL was in the hospital. So I didn't stay over.

I'm off to do the BMT at the end of the month. Then on to Trails Days. I'm bringing the set-up for the FTA Booth and have promised to hang at the booth for a few hours. WIll I see you there??

Anyone else reading this stop by the Florida Trail Booth and say hello. (Normally located next to the ALDHA Booth.

Hammock Hanger

MOWGLI
04-16-2005, 09:37
I missed seeing you at the FTA Conference. I gave a presentation and then had to leave as my FIL was in the hospital. So I didn't stay over.

I'm off to do the BMT at the end of the month. Then on to Trails Days. I'm bringing the set-up for the FTA Booth and have promised to hang at the booth for a few hours. WIll I see you there??

Anyone else reading this stop by the Florida Trail Booth and say hello. (Normally located next to the ALDHA Booth.

Hammock Hanger

I hope your FIL is on the mend. Yeah, I'll be at Trail Days. Look for the American Hiking Society booth.

Have a great hike of the BMT!

Little Bear