PDA

View Full Version : Any Work for Hire in Hanover?

jburgasser
10-07-2011, 09:24
I just can't handle the city life any longer. All this concrete and asphalt is just depressing! The wife and I did some serious research earlier this year into moving to the Hanover/Lebanon area but I had zero luck on the employment front. She is originally from New Hampshire (and graduated from UNH) and said if we were going to move it had to be to the Hanover area. Fine with me!

I have 12 years experience in commercial construction and am strong in sales, management, finance, and have a BS in Nutrition and Fitness from Florida State University. My interests include my 2 kids,
hiking (duh), the outdoors, reading, running, and cycling.

Thanks! Jim B

quilteresq
10-07-2011, 09:32
Dartmouth Hitchcock is the biggest employer in the area, and due to Medicaid funding cuts by the NH legislature, I think they're laying off 500 employees. Most hospitals in the state are in the same boat. That's a whole lot of folks looking for work. Construction is dead in NH as well. I have property about 20 miles from there, although I don't live there. I live near Concord, NH.

quilteresq
10-07-2011, 09:33
Dartmouth Hitchcock is the biggest employer in the area, and due to Medicaid funding cuts by the NH legislature, I think they're laying off 500 employees. Most hospitals in the state are in the same boat. That's a whole lot of folks looking for work. Construction is dead in NH as well. I have property about 20 miles from there, although I don't live there. I live near Concord, NH.

And Hurricane Irene wiped out an entire plaza in Lebanon, putting about another 200 people out of work, at least temporarily.

jburgasser
10-07-2011, 12:51
Dartmouth Hitchcock is the biggest employer in the area, and due to Medicaid funding cuts by the NH legislature, I think they're laying off 500 employees. Most hospitals in the state are in the same boat. That's a whole lot of folks looking for work. Construction is dead in NH as well.

Thanks Quilteresq. We wouldn't leave our home to move up there without a solid lead for me. My wife is an RN and we were assuming she could just walk into a job at Hitchcock but that sounds like it may not be the case. I actually applied to a whole mess of jobs at the hospital with no luck.

JB

peakbagger
10-07-2011, 13:17
Plan on commuting 60 plus miles to and from Hanover. Hanover and the surrounding towns have passed very restrictive development regulations that prevent any new affordable housing to be built. Therefore the price of housing is very high and when houses come on the low end of the market they go quick. There are cases where doctors and other professionals have had to quit after not being able to find affordable houses. My friend wife took a job with the hospital in a professional position and they took over a year to find a house they could afford. They finally settles on one 60 miles away (luckilly via I-91).

jburgasser
10-07-2011, 14:34
Plan on commuting 60 plus miles to and from Hanover. Hanover and the surrounding towns have passed very restrictive development regulations that prevent any new affordable housing to be built. Therefore the price of housing is very high and when houses come on the low end of the market they go quick. There are cases where doctors and other professionals have had to quit after not being able to find affordable houses. My friend wife took a job with the hospital in a professional position and they took over a year to find a house they could afford. They finally settles on one 60 miles away (luckilly via I-91).

We had found a bunch of houses for sale through a Hanover based realtor in a community on the east side of I-10 in Grantham or Eastman. That looks like its less than 20 miles from the hospital. Maybe the pricing wasn't right for your friend, but I'm certainly no moneybags myself.