PDA

View Full Version : Southbound (MEGA) Thruhikers 2012 !!!

Megapixel
10-08-2011, 14:00
Hi all,

Thought I would start an official thread for all 2012 Southbounding thru-hikers. This is NOT to take the place of the official registry, but rather a place us SOBO's can communicate more efficiently! My wife, Pixel, and I are planning a 2012 thru starting in late June, early July, after our 2011 attempt fell short. Super excited to meet you all and in the mean time hear from you on Whiteblaze.

skip3587
10-08-2011, 16:07
planning sobo for the same time frame. my 40th birthday will be on the 12th of june plan to leave shortly after. no kids or major responsiblities to hold me down figured now is the time. hope to see you on the trail.

Danl
10-11-2011, 23:14
Good luck to you all. I was going to do sobo until my feet started to hurt. Heel spurs, surgery in Nov. Says I won't be doing the trail until 2013.

steveinator
10-20-2011, 16:39
I'm heading southbound starting late May or early June. I'm graduating in may, so Northbound isn't really an option unless I want to rush through it.

nickbreid
11-01-2011, 17:12
Similar situation to steveinator, I'm graduating from UNH in May and planning on starting my SoBo thru along with a fellow grad in late May- early June.

Leatherhead
11-19-2011, 13:32
Heading south from katahdin around June 22nd/2012...retirement starts May/2012!...need to take a very long walk in the woods!! ...don't look for me in shelters, cause I'll be hanging in the tree's. See ya on the AT!
Leatherhead

DLANOIE
11-19-2011, 13:46
Good luck to you all. For those starting in early June, prepare for black flies and difficult fords.:sun

RedRidingHood16
11-28-2011, 16:25
I can't wait to meet you all! We'll be starting in late May/early June... and will likely have mosquito netting and bug spray!

jbowman3
11-29-2011, 18:50
Pumped. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with all of you, I am starting middle of July. Great to see a lot of college graduate hopefuls going out for a bid. I'm graduating from Babson in May and can't wait to get out there.

birdygal
11-29-2011, 19:33
I am hoping to start south the first of July only going as far as my money takes me. I know I won't have enough for a thru but hopefully half of one

LeeAllure
12-04-2011, 16:19
I, too, am leaving Katahdin for south as soon as I can, with bug spray and
netting in tow! I have engagements both in May, which prevent me from
leaving sooner, and in October, so I'll be pushing myself, and.. perhaps will
have to take a break in October, then return to finish the southern bit.

Quadzilla
12-06-2011, 11:15
Maine is a special place to be, but early Spring when most Southbounders start out is less than ideal. Bugs, mud and blowdowns plague the SOBO hiker and the weather can ruin all ambitious attempts. Learn more at www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info) Been there, done that and can help

rsbyron
12-08-2011, 04:31
Actually Quadzilla, most SOBO thru hikers start in June/July.

gsimp18
12-13-2011, 01:07
I hope to start in early july as well. I will be completing my sophomore year in college though. I am so so excited to be doing this. Hopefully i'll meet all of you and hopefully finish the trail with you as well.

TEXMAN
12-13-2011, 12:35
Actually Quadzilla, most SOBO thru hikers start in June/July.

Actually June and July is SPRINg in Maine

Old Man River

Aram
12-29-2011, 04:11
SOBO - From ATL so I dig the "walk home" theme
August (early-mid) - As early as I can go and as late as i'd consider
Hammock & UL - Better sleep, longer days, more miles and hopefully thru GSMNP before treacherous snow.

May the HIKE be with You.

Magua
01-23-2012, 00:35
My girlfriend and I just decided to start sobo, sometime in mid-late July. Sounds like we will be bringing up the rear behind most sobos. Hopefully there will be fewer black flies, we'll see...

gsimp18
01-23-2012, 11:29
How are you all getting up to Maine? Is Bangor the closest airport to Baxter? Im from Texas, so flying is probably the best bet for me.

LeeAllure
01-23-2012, 23:39
As it stands now, I'll be driving up with friends, they will probably climb to the top & back down with me, camp one/two nights, and see me off.

tenn_hiker
01-31-2012, 11:41
I'm heading southbound starting late May or early June. I'm graduating in may, so Northbound isn't really an option unless I want to rush through it.

i might be doing a month or two starting about that same time! maybe i'll see you on the trail if everything works out! Good luck to you!

on_the_GOEZ
01-31-2012, 13:49
Maine is a special place to be, but early Spring when most Southbounders start out is less than ideal. Bugs, mud and blowdowns plague the SOBO hiker and the weather can ruin all ambitious attempts. Learn more at www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info) Been there, done that and can help

How are you all getting up to Maine? Is Bangor the closest airport to Baxter? Im from Texas, so flying is probably the best bet for me.

I used Phil's service this last summer and it was FANTASTIC! he picked me up the 7th of July in Bangor at the Greyhound station, stayed the night at his cabin, and were the second car into Baxter the next morning, the 8th of July (my birthday!!) There are a few sections of the Wilderness that are at considerably low elevation and that's where the bugs were the worst for me, namely around Potaywadjo lean-to (couldnt even stop to have lunch because of bugs, but i did stop at this Spring for a few minutes - possibly the best water source along the whole AT!) Bring a headnet and you should be fine. Remember: dont get into your sleeping bag with 100% deet on your body - it will melt the material (cant be good for your skin... :confused:)

SOBO was a dream come true to say the least! I had nearly the same temperatures up until central Virginia, then it got cold! Have a blast, Yall!

-Phenix

Amy L Knudson
02-06-2012, 02:20
We'll be starting June 1st armed with head net and some deet or other form of bug deterrent.

kidchill
02-12-2012, 07:44
Looking to start the first week of July...actual date still hasn't been set. Gotta check flights and shuttle service.

SMCMCoxswain
02-13-2012, 02:46
my brother and I plan on starting a day or so after BSP opens, hope to see some of you there!

Kposaune1
02-14-2012, 05:31
Hello SOBO's. (I feel like I'm writing a personal ad)

My name is Kyle, and I like the outdoors. Haha.
Seriously, I'm starting in between June 1st and June 15th. Whenever I make enough to not work for 5-6 months. It would be my first time on the trail, so no trail names.
I'm starting with a friend who is from Maine for a week, but I suppose I would go it alone from there. I'm a waiter at two restaurants, and if I have to fill one more iced tea I am gonna go get my pack and start earlier!

Amy L Knudson
02-14-2012, 13:33
I'm a waiter at two restaurants, and if I have to fill one more iced tea I am gonna go get my pack and start earlier!
Amen to that! The only way I can get through the shifts these days is just telling myself "This person is funding your hike, smile and refill the drink for the umpteenth time!"

Derek81pci
02-14-2012, 21:44
I'm lookin to start my SOBO on June 1st, life permitting... I have my Data book and Companion to keep me day dreaming until then. Yes, the daily grind at work is getting tougher as another day passes and my departure date approaches! I don't have an official trail name yet, though I'll probably stick with "Shimp", given by my 4 brothers as it has stuck for years. I have most of my gear ready, just have to settle on a tent, and boots. I'm thinking about wearing my trusty Marine Corps issued boots, because they are nice and broken in, but losing traction. Anyway, I'll probably get with one of the shuttle companies to pick me up from the Greyhound station and crash overnight and get delivered to Baxter State park the next morning! I hope to see you all out there and I hope everyone has the safest and most enjoyable experience possible!

OOOhhhhhh-Raaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!

-Shimp

Kposaune1
02-15-2012, 00:23
I'm coming from Columbus, Ohio. I plan on taking a Greyhound from here to Bangor, ME then take a shuttle or whatnot. It's $89 bought in advance, and I've always done things the hard way. I don't feel like making my family spend 3 days driving, stopping and spending money, and I have ridden busses without worries before. Can't wait to quit my jobs! Wooooooo!

dbs1crew
02-15-2012, 10:38
Ill be doing a sobo starting around June 17th, hope to see yall on the trail! Good luck!

Derek81pci
02-16-2012, 19:01
When are you heading out? I'm from Columbus as well! I had planned on catching a Greyhound and shuttle as well. I'm going to aim for June 1st, but in reality I can pretty much leave whenever I choose.

smoothsailin
02-17-2012, 17:11
what up phonex
I ditto Phonex comments about Phil. Great guy. Great service. Ask him about a food cache.
I used bug spray but I also slept in a open hammock. You will encounter bugs. Bug nets to me are hard to breathe with.
Bandana and some bug spray. Deer flies dont' care. I killed about a dozen one break. Pesky.
Don't miss camping out on Avery Peak ( like I did ).
You'll have a great hike. I'm thinking of going nobo this year. One of my fav experiences was meeting other hikers regardless of direction or purpose.

-smooth

amnesia
02-17-2012, 17:35
Hi, i am hoping to be on the trail in late june. taking a bus to maine, i was gonna go nobo last year but i got held back. hopefully everything works out this time :) love

wteason2
02-19-2012, 02:28
Starting my sobo the second week of June. Can't wait! Taking amtrak to Bangor, shuttle or something to Baxter. I might go with the name "Mr. Mittens" that I got on an Outward Bound expedition last August. If we meet, ask me how I got it. Its probably not what you'd think.

kmull
02-21-2012, 23:48
heading south at the end of June. can NOT wait!

Drifting Sparrow
02-23-2012, 07:10
Hey -

Hoping to head SOBO on the 1st of July - was thinking June but i need the extra month at work :) Trail name Sparrow. Can't wait to head out.

dbs1crew
02-23-2012, 10:38
Just a thought, I was watching TV last night and realized that the election is Nov 6th. Starting June 1st and doing what most people average over the whole AT (12 mpd) that puts us back Dec 9th. So the question is, will you get off the trail to vote? lol

Sassafras Lass
02-24-2012, 00:36
Slewfoot (hubby) and I are headed to Maine via Greyhound on June 2nd.

We did a NOBO attempt last year . . . . . hopefully we're a full year wiser! :D

Drifting Sparrow
02-24-2012, 01:55
Sparrow here :)
attempting a SOBO thru hike leaving around the first of July. Hope to meet some of you on the trail

gsimp18
02-29-2012, 11:53
Leaving from Texas. I'm hoping to summit Katahdin on the 10th of June and then leave on the trail on the 11th. No trail name yet but the name is Greg.

Grand Poobah
02-29-2012, 12:07
Heading SOBO mid to late July Approx July 20th
Ill be through hiking with a friend. My old man who is section hiking the AT will join for the first week or two.
Anyone in Atlanta want to do some "practice" hikes between now at then. Send me an email. [email protected]
Im also heading up to Springer this weekend. Also, what airport is closest to the start? Want to book my flight soon.

Lone Wolf
02-29-2012, 12:09
Bangor International

Lone Wolf
02-29-2012, 12:09
Bangor International

http://www.flybangor.com/

EAsprts26
03-03-2012, 18:43
My Girlfriend and I are heading up to Maine the first weekend of June, probably start the journey that first week! We currently live in Austin Texas saving up money for the trip. This has been a long time coming, and I can't wait to get started....I need some fresh air!

tehPyro
03-19-2012, 04:32
Graduating with my MEN in Electrical Eng and have been waiting for this day to start my hike. I finish in early may but am planning to start tentatively on June 1st. Planning all of my drops and getting my itinerary setup. Hope to meet all of you people on the trail.

Phikes
03-19-2012, 12:43
I'm starting June 1st. Just got awols guide in the mail and am getting everything squared away for the trip. It's all I can think about! See ya out there.

mic
03-19-2012, 22:30
plan is to start June 1st (trail/weather permitting) going solo. but looking for partners email: [email protected] . nashua,nh born and raised. but living in italy until may when i will really start preparing. first time long distance hiking but pretty set on making it to the finish! i hear you have to reserve campground in Baxter State Park, ya? and does anybody know where and when do you need to be wearing some orange blaze for hunting seasons? i'm worried Dick C might be ready for seconds.
anyway looking forward to meeting some more tree huggers on the trail. :) appreciate any advise.
-mic

kennedyMEGA
03-22-2012, 12:21
I finished my SOBO the day before thanksgiving last year and didn't run into hunting seasons until I was in TN/NC around late October/November, so I wouldn't worry about it right off the bat

untitleddocument
03-22-2012, 17:42
Graduating from college May 19, hoping to do a week of travel before graduation / after finals then continuing on after. If the timing doesn't work for leaving in early May I would be happy with leaving May 21ish

wteason2
03-28-2012, 22:11
Leaving from Texas. I'm hoping to summit Katahdin on the 10th of June and then leave on the trail on the 11th. No trail name yet but the name is Greg.

See you there! I'll arrive on the 11th, so I won't hit the trail until a day or two after you, but I might catch you at some point.

-Bill

Turtlebox
03-29-2012, 09:30
Hey everyone! I have been on this site so much, I thought I would finally register. My leave of absence was approved Tuesady and I purchased my flight the same day :)

Planning on leaving for the summit either the 12th or 13th of June.

It is good to see everyone as excited as me, and I hope I will meet some of you on the trail!

Turtlebox

Kemper
03-30-2012, 23:19
Aloha everyone! I will be starting the trail hopefully early June, i started in June 2010 and june seemed like a great time to start. I can't wait to get back on trail, I would love some more company if any of you wanna hike in a small group. See ya on trail :)

Andrewsobo
03-31-2012, 01:11
I'll hopefully be on the trail August 1st.

Excell
04-02-2012, 10:38
My buddy and I are going to start June 2nd. Been looking forward to this for years.

tenn_hiker
04-05-2012, 18:51
I posted early that I would be doing a long section hike from Katahdin starting between May 25th and June 1st. I have decided to try and hike the whole thing, it will be pushing it seeing as i don't have long. Either way, if I make it or not, it will be one experience I wont forget.

Hopefully I'll see some of you out there! Good luck to everyone!

plurpimpin
04-07-2012, 00:02
I'm flying into Bangor on May 31st. Climbing Katahdin on June 1st and then heading south on the 2nd.

el gran boludo
04-08-2012, 22:41
well i actually already started my NOBO thruhike on March 4th, but had to come out on Saturday due to a stress fracture in my right leg, so I'll prob end up starting back up SOBO (so a flip flop) down to Erwin, TN where I left off whenever the docs give me the ok! already miss the trail and can't wait to get back out there! you guys will meet a lot of great ppl heading NOBO this year!
btw, already got my trail name at Rufus Morgan Shelter thanks to Danu (another NOBO '12), I go by Taken

Quadzilla
04-09-2012, 12:13
Yes.....Bangor is the closest airport to Baxter. Concord and Greyhound buslines service the Bangor area as well. Most hikers obtain shuttle services out of Bangor or connect with Cyr bus lines which drops off in Medway-still a long ways from Baxter. Shuttles can be arranged from Medway as well. I do a "100 mile wilderness" special for thru-hikers which includes overnight accommodations in one of my private cabins and a shuttle from Bangor to Baxter. Check out www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info)

LeeAllure
04-09-2012, 14:38
I practically live in Nashua, NH. I'm heading up at the end of May, not quite sure what I'll do logistically to get there yet, but am confident it will all work out. I have 2 nights reserved, and called to check on the logistics of adjusting that ($15 change fee) if necessary. Apparently there is still about 3 feet of snow on the mountain today, but far less snow this year (136") than last, so hopefully easier to have an earlier start date.

EAsprts26
04-09-2012, 23:12
Does anyone know if there is a restriction on hiking Katahdin? Is there a certain date we have to wait for to hike it?

LandonBarnes
04-10-2012, 15:21
Graduating from college 26th of May, hoping to start my sobo the first or second weekend in June. I'm from CT so my parents said they would drive me up. Never done any long distance hiking but have done plenty of weekend trips. If anybody wants a hiking partner shoot me a PM.

TJ aka Teej
04-10-2012, 20:49
Does anyone know if there is a restriction on hiking Katahdin? Is there a certain date we have to wait for to hike it?

You have to wait until the the Tableland dries out. No set date, usually before June.

Grand Poobah
04-17-2012, 15:40
I had the same thought, i'm starting much later than you and will not be back to vote. Looked into mail in ballot. That's your best bet.

mattmc89
04-19-2012, 20:00
Got a group of 3 coming in Aug. 6th.

EAsprts26
04-20-2012, 11:32
Thanks Teej, probably starting on June 2nd along with a few other SOBO's as it seems. I am just anxiously awaiting the start of the journey! Cant wait to meet everyone out there!

carzy
04-20-2012, 11:53
I am planning to start SOBO in mid-June. Exciting and frightening depending on my current mood. Hope to see some of you this summer!

aldsmith3
04-20-2012, 14:41
Greetings WhiteBlaze.net community! Are there any future SOBOs, or other section hikers heading up to Katahdin to begin their Hike in late May/early June? I am looking for a one-way ride up. Am more than willing to meet you somewhere in the vicinity of PA/NY in late May/early June. Will pitch for gas as well, and I promise I don't bite.

Appreciate any beta people can lend. Thanks!

TEXMAN
04-21-2012, 22:44
Greetings WhiteBlaze.net community! Are there any future SOBOs, or other section hikers heading up to Katahdin to begin their Hike in late May/early June? I am looking for a one-way ride up. Am more than willing to meet you somewhere in the vicinity of PA/NY in late May/early June. Will pitch for gas as well, and I promise I don't bite.

Appreciate any beta people can lend. Thanks!

I am hiking in PA for the month of May and then heading to Maine ..leaving Delaware Water Gap approx May 30th...

If you could leave earlier you could hike in PA with me and another hiker...

PM me and I will give you my phone number

Old Man River (Texman on White Blaze)

LDog
04-23-2012, 17:14
Much of the country has seen an extremely mild winter/spring. Is this true about Maine? If so, does it suggest to the suggestible reader that all of the early spring SoBo start negatives - Like raging rivers, muddy trails, and black flies might come and go earlier this year?

Quadzilla
04-25-2012, 14:00
Best service. Best price and the person with the most knowledge about the AT in Maine..... www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info)

Quadzilla
04-25-2012, 14:05
Most of the snow is gone in Maine. An early Spring!! Baxter opens May 15 and all trails should be cleared to hike. Learn more at www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info)

LDog
04-25-2012, 15:32
The word from the folks who will make the call as to when trails will open:
http://baxtertrails.blogspot.com/

TJ aka Teej
04-25-2012, 15:33
Baxter opens May 15 and all trails should be cleared to hike.

The Park opens some campgrounds, and most of the Tote road, on the 15th.
By no means will "all trails" be "cleared to hike."

TJ aka Teej
04-25-2012, 15:36
Best service. Best price and the person with the most knowledge about the AT in Maine..... www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info)
Phil, isn't that your own website?

LDog
04-25-2012, 17:13

Heh, heh ... Busted!

weaverme
04-25-2012, 22:48
I will be arriving in Baxter on June 15 to head southbound. Traveling from Roanoke VA (any of you south east folks need a ride?) I am counting down the days until this adventure begins! Very excited to meet all of the other SOBOs

Magua
04-26-2012, 13:12

Sounds like a 20% off penalty for promoting yourself on whiteblaze is in order....

mtndust
04-28-2012, 09:50
My boyfriend and I will be starting our southbound hike in late June--you can check out our blog here:
http://appalachiansouthbound.blogspot.com/

Phikes
04-28-2012, 12:26
Well it's official. Gave my resignation yesterday, last day May 11th. Heading to Maine the 31st, hoping to summit Katahdin June 1st. The count down is on, t-minus 34 days!! WooHOO!

nitokerght
04-28-2012, 20:38
Im headed southbound right after I graduate the last weekend of May. Hope to make it to Baxter by the second week of June. See you all out there!

bigwallhiker
05-05-2012, 15:40
Starting south bound first week of July. Don't have an exact date so I don't if ill be getting a campground in Baxter. May just have to start my journey outside of Baxter, I have hiked Katahdin before and it is a great hike it would be a shame to miss it. Snow fall was crap this winter in the white mountains i'm pretty sure Maine did not get much, so I doubt flooding will be a big problem.

melloco89
05-06-2012, 18:05
planning to start the first week of june!!

Shrkbit143
05-06-2012, 18:29
Just sold my house. Im phanning on moving from Indiana to Florida. So now would be a good time to hike the AT between the moves. I want to start June 15 but need to get all the finances lined up first being a short notice idea. The ture start date will be moved if need be. Hope to see you all on the trail.

aldsmith3
05-07-2012, 15:56
Any SOBOs heading through/near Medway on June 14th? I am trying to hitch a ride from Medway, where I'll be getting off the bus on the evening of June 13th. The local shuttle service wants $45 bucks for an hour ride; seems a little over-priced for a thru hiker's budget.

Happy planning to the MEGA class of '12!! Hopefully see ya'll on the trail.

Sassafras Lass
05-07-2012, 16:10
Any SOBOs heading through/near Medway on June 14th? I am trying to hitch a ride from Medway, where I'll be getting off the bus on the evening of June 13th. The local shuttle service wants $45 bucks for an hour ride; seems a little over-priced for a thru hiker's budget.

Aldsmith, try Maine Quest Adventures (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Maine-Quest-Adventures/181907936250). Town Taxi is completely defunct and I contacted Bryant to get a ride in early June from Medway to Katahdin Stream Campground - it was $45 for the both of us, and he was real friendly, looking forward to meet him.

goingsouth
05-08-2012, 15:25
I am starting Southbound June 1st look forward to seeing all of you there!

TJ aka Teej
05-08-2012, 17:37
Any SOBOs heading through/near Medway on June 14th? I am trying to hitch a ride from Medway, where I'll be getting off the bus on the evening of June 13th.

The bus gets in about 7:45PM, almost 40 miles from the campground. The gate will probably be closed by the time you get there. That's why the AT Lodge does the bus-stop pick-up, stay and feed, shuttle to KSC the next day deal. I think it's $70. But that's better then being dropped off in the dark at the park gate 10 miles from Katahdin Stream vis a narrow dirt tote road. Some folks crash outside the park when the taxi drops them off, then try to hitch in the next morning.

vanzetti
05-08-2012, 23:33
Hey there, thinking about starting sometime mid-July myself. Let me know if you'd like to meet up.

Vanzetti

[email protected]

Guaranteed
05-09-2012, 08:50
Aiming at a June 3rd SOBO. Also leaving from Central PA, and Boston Mass (hiking partner) on the 2nd of June. Haven't finalized travel plans yet, so if you are looking to carpool/commute send me a PM.

thermal
05-16-2012, 06:56
Its official july1st I'm out. SOBO. see you there!

chip2012
05-16-2012, 07:36
Have July 4-6 booked for b.s.p. hope to summit on the 5 th. Hope to see some of you on the trail.

PUPPYHEAD
05-16-2012, 09:48
Hello trail brothers and sisters! My name is Zach Day and I just came off active duty Army service in March. This is a perfect transition point in my life to take 4-6 months off. The way I see it is, if I don't do a thru-hike now, I'll realistically never do it! I'm using this hike as a fundraiser to raise awareness for the issue "Veteran Homelessness" (which is so much more prevalent than you may realize, 300-500 every night in Indianapolis alone) and to raise funds for an organization called Hoosier Veteran Assistance Foundation of Indiana (HVAF). HVAF houses, clothes, feeds, and rehabilitates 200 formerly homeless veterans from Central Indiana on any given night with 60 more homeless vets on the waiting list at any one time. This is an easy issue to be passionate about for a soldier fresh off of active duty! The hike is formally called "Hike for Hoosier Vets" Please help me spread the word and, at the least, please like my page on facebook! In a way I view my future trail family like I did my Army family... we gotta stick together.

www.facebook.com/hikeforhoosiervets
www.hikeforhoosiervets.com
twitter: @hikeforvets

Now to the hike details..... my family is going to drive me and my australian cattle dog, Seger to BSP and drop me off on 10JUN12 or 11JUN12. I will have various American Legion/VFW/VA events along the trail where there should ideally be a home cooked meal, transportation, and re-supply support. I will definitely share the wealth if this plan works as intended and invite anyone who may be on the trail with me at the time to enjoy these services. I will be wearing some bright colored shirts with my Twitter handle on the back so if you see me.... please tag along and lets enjoy some good convo. I'm a hammock camper from Indianapolis, IN.... if anyones from the area lets get together for a pre-hike somewhere in Indiana. Look forward to meeting as many of you as possible!

Zach

LDog
05-16-2012, 15:33
Thanks for your service Puppyhead. Hope to see you out there.

aldsmith3
05-17-2012, 08:02
Stoked to hear about your project brother man. I'll be getting to Medford, ME around June 13. Perhaps I'll see you up that way! I still haven't figured out a ride from Medway to Katahdin.

Catch ya when I do...peace.

Hello trail brothers and sisters! My name is Zach Day and I just came off active duty Army service in March. This is a perfect transition point in my life to take 4-6 months off. The way I see it is, if I don't do a thru-hike now, I'll realistically never do it! I'm using this hike as a fundraiser to raise awareness for the issue "Veteran Homelessness" (which is so much more prevalent than you may realize, 300-500 every night in Indianapolis alone) and to raise funds for an organization called Hoosier Veteran Assistance Foundation of Indiana (HVAF). HVAF houses, clothes, feeds, and rehabilitates 200 formerly homeless veterans from Central Indiana on any given night with 60 more homeless vets on the waiting list at any one time. This is an easy issue to be passionate about for a soldier fresh off of active duty! The hike is formally called "Hike for Hoosier Vets" Please help me spread the word and, at the least, please like my page on facebook! In a way I view my future trail family like I did my Army family... we gotta stick together.

www.facebook.com/hikeforhoosiervets (http://www.facebook.com/hikeforhoosiervets)
www.hikeforhoosiervets.com (http://www.hikeforhoosiervets.com)
twitter: @hikeforvets

Now to the hike details..... my family is going to drive me and my australian cattle dog, Seger to BSP and drop me off on 10JUN12 or 11JUN12. I will have various American Legion/VFW/VA events along the trail where there should ideally be a home cooked meal, transportation, and re-supply support. I will definitely share the wealth if this plan works as intended and invite anyone who may be on the trail with me at the time to enjoy these services. I will be wearing some bright colored shirts with my Twitter handle on the back so if you see me.... please tag along and lets enjoy some good convo. I'm a hammock camper from Indianapolis, IN.... if anyones from the area lets get together for a pre-hike somewhere in Indiana. Look forward to meeting as many of you as possible!

Zach

wteason2
05-20-2012, 22:20
Starting my sobo the second week of June. Can't wait! Taking amtrak to Bangor, shuttle or something to Baxter. I might go with the name "Mr. Mittens" that I got on an Outward Bound expedition last August. If week meet, ask me how I got it. Its probably not what you'd think.

Alright, I'm no longer spending the weekend in my hometown. I now plan to start in Baxter on June 9th.

cave man
06-08-2012, 00:50
Picking up again in dalton, ma somewhere around the 1st of august. See everyone on the trail.

MorningJoe
06-08-2012, 15:18
Well, I'm seriously considering becoming a fugutive of justice as my unsupervised probation will be in violation if I do endeavour a SOBO thru hike.. However, I don't suspect anyone will think too much of it... I'm looking for a ride to Katahdin and may have something lined up for the week of the 14th... I guess this will be my final farewell to the most beautiful town of Harpers Ferry... Any advice?

Grand Poobah
06-17-2012, 15:48
Who all is starting SOBO late in the season in Late July? Just trying to get an idea of who I may run into. I am flying to Bangor in sometime around July 20.

Saprogenic
06-18-2012, 17:09
Who all is starting SOBO late in the season in Late July? Just trying to get an idea of who I may run into. I am flying to Bangor in sometime around July 20.

I'll be arriving in ME on the 24th...

Kposaune1
06-19-2012, 12:56
Hello,

My name is Kyle, haven't posted in a while, but I have been planning and working hard to reach my arrival date at Katahdin Stream Campground on July 18th, and begin the trail on the 19th. Just thought I'd give a name to a face. My friend is driving me up there from Ohio, and hopefully we'll be cookin' some lobster and corn the night before heading up the mountain! I have a green Mountainsmith backpack and will be hiking solo after we come down from the mountain. I realize my 4 month goal is ambitious, but it's the only time I've got. Hopefully I'll meet some of you on the AT!

Grand Poobah
06-19-2012, 15:49
I believe I found the cheap plane ticket on the 18th, So I may be joining you on the 19th as a start date.

Kyle_Pierce
06-19-2012, 23:39
I'll be arriving in Bangor on the 26th of June, haven't quite smoothed out the details of a shuttle to Katahdin... Anyone else starting around then?

sobomatt
06-20-2012, 03:07
he. i'm also planning to start in mid july. hope to see you on the trail!

Juice
06-20-2012, 06:44
I'm Flying into Bangor on June 27th. I'm not registering here for a sobo though, I started nobo in late march and did 700 miles then flew to France. I'm going to head south and do Maine and the presidentials then wing it from there.

LDog
06-21-2012, 22:40
With lots of physical therapy and some hard training, phase 2 of my Appalachian Trail thru hike is coming together. Well, at least I have set a few dates ... Looks like 4th of July on Katahdin.

bwscarb
06-24-2012, 22:25
I hope to start early to mid July. See you out there!

LDog
06-25-2012, 00:08
Been looking at historical weather data to determine if it's prudent to leave heavy-weight bags and base layers at home for an early July start, and thinking maybe not. I see average lows on Mt Washington around 40, but historically as low as 24. Thought maybe I should take the pulse of the forum on this one.

LDog
06-27-2012, 21:15
Made my reservations at Baxter for the 4th of July. See ya'll out there!

cselmer
06-28-2012, 09:54
I'm flying into Bangor on July 2nd and hope to begin my SOBO attempt on the 3rd. I'll be hiking with a friend through the 100-Mile Wilderness, but solo after that. Still working on Bangor-to-Baxtor shuttle details and hopefully a mid-wilderness food drop. Looking forward to seeing ya'll out there.

AngryGerman
07-18-2012, 18:44
Starting my attempt SOBO on the 21st of July! It will be an interesting galavant through the beautiful Maine wilderness. Can you just imagine how many Indians walked through these very woods and swam in the very same holes! How many vikings and or Crusaders made it to Maine well before Christopher Columbus discovered North America? These will be the questions running through my mind as I walk south, rediscovering where I came from and maybe where I am going!

Good luck and I will be seeing you all out on the trail!

LDog
07-18-2012, 20:38
Got thru the 100 mile wilderness and am scarfing down a burger at Lakeside in Monson. Posted some pics at my blog linked below.

LDawg
http://bit.ly/LDawg

vanzetti
07-18-2012, 21:58
Any possibility of a ride from Bangor (or Boston) up to Katahdin in late July for 2 SOBO hikers? Please let me know. We'd be happy to provide monetary compensation and good company.

Cheers,
Marlo

TheBirdman
07-20-2012, 13:15
Good luck SOBOs! Those of us living in the southeast are sending good vibes for a safe arrival!

ADBlaze
07-24-2012, 14:35
Im sure this has been asked before but, any advice for the first couple nights starting a SOBO. IVe never been to Baxter SP before and they said most everything is booked for my start date of August 15. They said I might be able to stay at Abol or camp outside the park? If there is another forum with information about this hopefully someone can point me in the right direction... thanks!

WingedMonkey
08-31-2012, 12:25
Got thru the 100 mile wilderness and am scarfing down a burger at Lakeside in Monson. Posted some pics at my blog linked below.

LDawg
http://bit.ly/LDawg

Still out there?
No blog post since August 3rd.

WingedMonkey
08-31-2012, 12:34
Still out there?
No blog post since August 3rd.
Never mind. I see he updated FaceBook.

Aquonehostel
08-31-2012, 15:02
Hope to see you guys coming through in November, need any assistance Aquone Hostel 828 321 2340

HikerMom58
08-31-2012, 15:34
Hope to see you guys coming through in November, need any assistance Aquone Hostel 828 321 2340

Hi Aquonehostel... Glad you are on Whiteblaze! :0) Welcome aboard!!