PDA

View Full Version : Maine Footwear... and beyond

Megapixel
10-08-2011, 14:29
Hi all,

I used a Merrell Gortex low cut hiking shoe for my 2011 (partial)thru hike. In Maine, I was constantly slipping and taking some pretty dangerous falls on the big slick slabs of rocks. I'm hoping to fix this with a different shoe in 2012. I cannot use anything around the ankle; otherwise I'm up for trying anything to prevent these falls. And yes, I use trekking poles. Sometimes it was the steep angle along with the smoothness of the rock, and other times moisture factored in.

Thoughts? Footwear suggestions?

dillard
10-08-2011, 15:33
I used Vibram Five Fingers TrekSport for my recent section(550 miles thru VA) and they were amazing for grip since you can use your toes. The Trek models have a lil extra padding and cleating for trails specifically and are low cut for your ankle issue.

If your going to consider that route get a pair now and start conditioning your feet since they work a whole different set of muscles that shoes don't.

Slo-go'en
10-08-2011, 16:48
Long time ago I had a pair of Merrell's I called my 'teflon no stick' shoes, since they would not stick to wet ledge and I took more slips and falls with those shoes then anything before or since.I haven't bought Merrells since, so that might be the reason.

My latest boots are Scarpa's and they seem to stick pretty well to wet rock. They did me good through the Mahoosucs, even with over 500 (southern) miles on them and the trail still being pretty wet from Irene. Don't know if they make a low cut version or not.

I really wish outfitters would have a slab of wet granite set up at a steep angle to test how boots will work in real world conditions. As it stands now, by the time you find out if the boot you paid lots of money for is a good boot for New England trails or not, it's too late.

jcazz
10-08-2011, 17:02
Inov 8 makes a Roclite 268 for women and a 295 for men. They are second to none for trail running, hiking, and backpacking in Maine. Don't waste your time or money on anything else.

jacob_springsteen
10-08-2011, 20:42
The Vibram grip from these was phenomenal in the Mahoosuc Notch:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50419?feat=506795-GN3

Doughnut
10-08-2011, 21:06
I never had a blister and had never fallen until I hiked Maine in '08!
I used Columbia trekkers, and retired them at the end of mu section hike there. WHEN I return to Maine I will have a new pair of Danner trekkers,
DoughNut

Megapixel
10-10-2011, 13:01
Thanks all. I'll give the Roclite's a look, hopefully i can find them somewhere to try on. Can't go wrong with the opinion of someone who lives in ME, right?:sun

...I used a pair of 5 fingers on part of my hike, but mostly for camp and fording water. I got too many toe stubs when trying to hike with them in ME from the constant rock/root.

WILLIAM HAYES
10-10-2011, 19:21
Did the 100 Mile wilderness wearing Inov 8 never had a problem ever in wet weather
hillbilly