PDA

View Full Version : Stink bugs!!!!!!!!!!!

yotarunner77
10-09-2011, 00:47
Just thought I would give a heads up to anyone planning on staying the night at the Darlington shelter that it is completely overrun with stink bugs. I could not even sit out on the table to read the register, they were everywhere and the whole area reeks. I would also guess that all the shelters in PA are the same, its that time of year again.

Wise Old Owl
10-09-2011, 10:18
Yes they have finally started to harbor... the weather really cramped them up as it is late. (well after the date of last year)

Don H
10-09-2011, 17:22
Ed Garvey Shelter in MD is infested with them. Lots of people tenting but no one in the shelter last night!

Toolshed
10-09-2011, 20:22
I'm vacuuming then up by the truckload now.

GoldenBear
10-09-2011, 20:36
"These insects are not known to cause harm to humans, although homeowners become alarmed when the bugs enter their homes and noisily fly about. The stink bug will not reproduce inside structures or cause damages. If many of them are squashed or pulled into a vacuum cleaner, their smell can be quite apparent."

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug

In other words, they are completely harmless to hikers (and homeowners) until you squish them.
Compare that to mosquitoes, whose bites result in scores of American deaths every year.

johnnybgood
10-09-2011, 21:13
The Kiosks along the Skyline Drive were full of them a week ago . I hadn't seen them earlier in much warmer weather.
Apparently they too like the cooler daytime temps.