PDA

View Full Version : Abol bridge

Thumper 2006
02-26-2005, 13:29
As a southbounder, is Abol Bridge feasible to resupply for the 100 mile wilderness if not should i have a mail drop sent there? I have also heard that Monson is another place to have a mail drop sent because nothing is there.

A-Train
02-26-2005, 14:06
Abol is definately not a place to resupply for the 100 mile, its got basic foods and snacks but not much selection. Also expensive. Better to start with 8-10 days from Katahdin Stream Campground, OR you can resupply/send a maildrop to White House Landing, which is about 30 miles into the 100 mile wilderness. If you send a package here or resupply you'll be paying a lot, though it might be worth it not to be packing 15-20 lbs of food.

Yes Monson is recommended for a maildrop, though there are options. For instance you could get 2-3 days of food from the general store/gas stations to get you to Caratunk and send a maildrop there instead. There are many options.

IN THe past many hikers have been shuttled to a large supermarket near Monson, but this depends on the hostel situations this yr. Pie Lady is closed and the Shaws may or may not be running. Anyway, Teej might have some info on this, otherwise I would consult the 2005 books and keep your ears open when you start and DEFINATELY talk to NOBO's.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2005, 14:39
Shaw's in Monson WILL be operating unless I'm very much mistaken. Most Northbounders stay there and have a maildrop sent either there or to the Monson P.O. It is also very easy to get a shuttle from Keith Shaw Jr. to a supermarket a few miles away. Most folks take 6-7 days to get thru the 100-Mile Wilderness. (If you plan to re-supply at White House landing, you can get by with carrying less from Monson). Very light re-supply is available at the Abol Bridge store, but they DO NOT accept or hold hiker mail. Northbounders would be well advised to bring an extra day's worth of supplies into Baxter even if they're planning on summitting the next day; in case of bad weather or they have to postpone a day, there is NO place to resupply once you're in the Park, so it's a good idea to bring a little extra with you from Abol.

TJ aka Teej
02-26-2005, 20:39
No maildrops at Abol Bridge or inside Baxter Park, no gear sent home by Rangers in Baxter anymore. Your first on trail maildrop option is White House Landing. Some southbounders have been hitching into Millinocket from Abol Bridge to do send homes/re-supply for the 100 Mile after they hike out of Baxter - if that's in your plans make sure you pick a day when the Post Office is open.
Southbounders may take longer than 6-7 days to get from Abol to Monson (high water, no Trail legs yet), so plan 8ish. Shaw's will be open (just no suppers), the Pie Lady will be doing shuttles, and Lindy's Trail Magic Massage will probably be open as a hostel again. In Monson you'll have access to all you need, from food to gear to cash at the Post Office to wicked good barbeque.
Check out the other 'Southbounder' threads, and try to hook up with another MEGA to share Taxi/lean-to expenses.

rickb
02-26-2005, 21:50
"As a southbounder, is Abol Bridge feasible to resupply for the 100 mile wilderness if not should i have a mail drop sent there?"

Why?

The Trail from Katahdin Stream CG is just a flat 7 or 8 miles away. If you are like most people, you won't be carrying your food up Katahdin, but leaving it at the base of the mountain at Katahdin Stream CG.

Remember, as a SOBO there should be no snivelling about carrying your food 7 or 8 miles more than might be theoretically possible to avoid. Even if it were simple to do, which it isn't.

Were you planning on starting on the far side of the mountain (Roaring Brook CG), I could understand this question, and would offer a different answer.

Rick B

WalkinHome
02-26-2005, 23:05
From a recent conversation with Keith, the Pie Lady is not around anymore and the massage lady is not going to take anymore hikers in. That leaves the laundromat and Shaw's. It looks like Keith is going to move into the place across the street and establish it as his residence. The rest of the operation is the same. Awhile back Keith Jr. mentioned eliminating suppers as a way to take a load off Pat. He is committed to the business though-will just do a bit of tweaking. BBQ is still awesome. Stop in whenever in the neighborhood.

Thumper 2006
02-27-2005, 14:50
I will be starting up the hunt trail, and by the way how would i leave my pack at the bottom and retrieve it later this sounds a little weird because people keep saying that. As for the 100 mile wilderness should i just get enought supplies packed into my pack in millinocket to complete it?

Lone Wolf
02-27-2005, 14:54
There is a ranger station at Katahdin Stream Campground where the Hunt Trail begins. Most folks leave thier packs on the porch and borrow a day pack to climb up with. There are supplies at Abol Bridge and White House Landing in the wilderness.

One Leg
02-27-2005, 15:53
I will be starting up the hunt trail, and by the way how would i leave my pack at the bottom and retrieve it later this sounds a little weird because people keep saying that. As for the 100 mile wilderness should i just get enought supplies packed into my pack in millinocket to complete it?

As LW said, you can leave your pack at the ranger station... There is a certain level of honesty among hikers, and you needn't worry that someone would steal your gear.

Millinocket has a couple of good sized grocery stores, so you can get most anything you would want to get you through the 100 mile wilderness.

The Solemates
02-28-2005, 11:43
As a southbounder, is Abol Bridge feasible to resupply for the 100 mile wilderness if not should i have a mail drop sent there? I have also heard that Monson is another place to have a mail drop sent because nothing is there.

Id buy food in Millinocket when I got there, send a maildrop to White House Landing, and send a maildrop to Monson.

We resupplied in Monson (there are three small convenience stores), but it was very expensive. Be prepared to pay 2-3X for the staples. Id send a MD there if doing it again.

TJ aka Teej
02-28-2005, 16:35
Id buy food in Millinocket when I got there, send a maildrop to White House Landing, and send a maildrop to Monson.

We resupplied in Monson (there are three small convenience stores), but it was very expensive. Be prepared to pay 2-3X for the staples. Id send a MD there if doing it again.
Mailing to WHL from Millinocket? Don't even try it. You'll probably get to WHL long before your maildrop gets picked up by them on one of their weekly trips out to town.

The best longterm resupply option in Monson is to get a car ride up to Greenville to the supermarket/outfitter on Indian Hill.

The Solemates
02-28-2005, 16:44
Mailing to WHL from Millinocket? Don't even try it. You'll probably get to WHL long before your maildrop gets picked up by them on one of their weekly trips out to town.

The best longterm resupply option in Monson is to get a car ride up to Greenville to the supermarket/outfitter on Indian Hill.

I can see how you interpreted my response...but I meant buying food in Millinocket, just enough to get you to WHL. The MDs sent to WHL and to Monson would have been sent weeks before from home.

rickb
02-28-2005, 16:58
Just carry your food and screw the White House Landing. SOBOs have opportunities that the NOBOs can't relate to.

There will be plenty of time for lodges and B&Bs when you get to be an old fart (no offence to THE Old Fart) and a taste for 300 thread count sheets. How many times will you have a chance to head off into the woods like you will at Abol Bridge, with everything you need to walk 100 miles or so. You aren't hiking the AT because its easy.

If you find you have misscalculated your food or energy, then WHL can be a safety net. But if you are just hitting your stride, then scew them.

Or not. YMMV. :D

Rick B

The Old Fhart
02-28-2005, 19:23
rickboudrie-"There will be plenty of time for lodges and B&Bs when you get to be an old fart (no offence to THE Old Fart)"... No offense taken, but in the 7 times I've done the 100 mile "wilderness", I have yet to stop at WHL. I think next time thru I'll stop there, not 'cause I'm getting old, but for a change of pace. Thanks for the idea :)

Youngblood
02-28-2005, 20:02
No offense taken, but in the 7 times I've done the 100 mile "wilderness", I have yet to stop at WHL. I think next time thru I'll stop there, not 'cause I'm getting old, but for a change of pace. Thanks for the idea :)
I stopped there for a cheeseburger, beer and ice cream... how can you pass that up? Shucks, you even get to blow an air-horn and get a nice ride across the lake. Talk about a place having character-- it should be a don't miss place for nobo's.

Youngblood

TJ aka Teej
02-28-2005, 21:43
SOBOs have opportunities that the NOBOs can't relate to. GAMErs start with a car ride to within a few hundred yards of the terminus at Springer, step into a conga-line of fellow travelers, and have a bail-out/re-supply/outfitter a few days later at Neels Gap.
MEGAs start with Katahdin, an eyeopening experience of the North Wood's isolation in the form of the outpost at Abol Bridge, and then face a week of wild and lonely trail through the best of Maine.

TJ < Baxter Peak to Monson in June, again...

ed bell
03-01-2005, 00:47
GAMErs start with a car ride to within a few hundred yards of the terminus at Springer, step into a conga-line of fellow travelers, and have a bail-out/re-supply/outfitter a few days later at Neels Gap.
MEGAs start with Katahdin, an eyeopening experience of the North Wood's isolation in the form of the outpost at Abol Bridge, and then face a week of wild and lonely trail through the best of Maine.

TJ < Baxter Peak to Monson in June, again...

My close friend had to end his Northbound hike because of a family emergency. He left the trail at Hot Springs. After family matters he decided to go Southbound to attempt the trip again the same year. After reaching Springer that year he told me that he thought Maine>Georgia was the way to go. I know that Katahdin is a great motivator for a hike, but it can't be the only reason. Since Georgia gets slammed every March & April, I would hope that maybe a few would consider a Southbound hike. TJ gives the lowdown in his post.