PDA

View Full Version : Good Area for an Overnighter in/around Johnson City, TN?

MyName1sMud
10-10-2011, 15:28
I'm bringing a friend up there the weekend of Nov 5th. She has to do something with the college there and we would be in the area for the weekend.

Where is a nice place to camp in/around Johnson City? Anyone know of any good day hike trails in the area to hit up before coming back to the flatland of Mississippi?

Thanks in advance!:D

Lost Iowan
10-10-2011, 15:42
Roan Mountain State Park a nice one, outside of JC a bit, but my experience with TN's state parks is clean and well kept.

Here's the link to the park :http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/RoanMtn

(http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/RoanMtn/)

Blissful
10-10-2011, 15:55
PM or e mail 10K, he knows that area.

Tennessee Viking
10-10-2011, 16:36
Good ole JC.

Mountain Squid, 10-K, Cleaner, and number of others are locals to the area. I am also a native to the JC area.

The problem with Johnson City is that it sits in the middle a number of AT trailheads and other area trailheads. Its hard to decide where to go.

Damascus area & Creeper Trail
TN91 @ Cross Mountain area
Watauga Lake area
Dennis Cove area
Roan Mountain (also the Humps/Yellow Mtns) area
Unaka Mountain/Beauty Spot area
Big Bald Mtn area
Flint Mtn area

There are also some forest service trails and roads that are good day hikes.

Laurel Fork Trail
Coon Den Trail
Margarette Falls Trail
Clarks Creek backcountry
Horse Creek backcountry
Rocky Fork Tract backcountry
Rock Creek Trail system
Shinebone Trail

Kingsport has Bays Mountain City Park which has quite an extensive hiking/biking trail system.
Johnson City has Buffalo Mtn City Park is another city park trail system.

Then venturing into North Carolina. You have Mt Mitchell, Wilson/Harper/Upper Creek backcountry, Linville Gorge, the Mountains to Sea Trail, and Grandfather Mtn State Park.

As for camping...car camping or backcountry??? There are a number of AT trailheads that have some nice walk-in camping spots. There a number of Forest Service campgrounds ex. Dennis Cove, Rock Creek, Horse Creek, Watauga Point. But they might be closing up for the year.

Most of these places should have year round camping. Roan Mtn State Park, Nolichucky Campground in Erwin, Watauga Lake campground (TVA), Clarks Creek backcountry (forest road accessible sites; FCFS). Or stay/camp at many of the area hostels.

MyName1sMud
10-10-2011, 17:42
Thanks for all the replies so far. Hopefully 10k will fall upon the thread to enlighten me as well! I don't know his email or how to go get to his profile quickly.

MyName1sMud
10-10-2011, 17:55
And yes it's Car Camping. It's a 9 hour drive so on Sunday we would need to be hitting the road early. Don't want to have to make the scramble back to the car to hit the road.

(once you've got me off the trail i'm okay.... it's just the getting me to get off the trail that is the hard part)

mountain squid
10-10-2011, 19:04
Tennessee Viking summed up the area nicely.

For car camping on the AT the best spot I can think of would be at the AT trailhead on Dennis Cove Rd. Very nice spots right by the river. You could day hike down to Laurel Fork Falls if you wanted to.

There is also a nice spot just North of Wilbur Dam Rd. You could day hike to Watauga Dam easily enough.

There are lots of spots around Watauga Lake. They would require a little bit of hiking in though.

Of course on a weekend, others might have the same idea . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

dmax
10-10-2011, 22:45
Every year we seem to have some bad weather at holloween. So be prepared for that and all that it has to offer. TV and mt squid gave some great places. The Nolichucky campground is 50' from the trail in erwin and right off the interstate. Or, check out unclejohnnys web page for their hostel/cabin options. .. A nice day hike could take you up to Big Bald. Lots of shuttle options through there also.

MyName1sMud
10-11-2011, 17:37
Thanks for all the replies!

Papa D
10-11-2011, 20:08
go hang out at Uncle Johnny's, get high and stinking drunk -- ha ha --- no, just kidding