PDA

View Full Version : AT Tall Tales

Thatguy
10-10-2011, 16:47
One thing I've learned is that you hear a lot of stories from hikers who have hiked, plan to hike or claim to have hiked the AT. I believe I've heard some Tall AT Tales. A man at an outfitters told me when he thru hiked in 2010 two guys tried to stop him and two other hikers from going onto the trail from a gap in Tennessee unless they paid some money. He told me they (the hikers) battled the guys who supposedly had a knife with their trecking poles (just a funny image to me) and eventually the guys who threatened them ran for their cars and left. Is this an AT Tall Tale? I'm sure others have heard AT Tall tales.

BobTheBuilder
10-10-2011, 17:31
If it was just past 19E, I could believe it. The locals there are reportedly unhappy with the heavy-handed way land was appropraited for the trail corridor and have been carrying a grudge for a while. I got (mildly) hassled by some locals in the area who were parked by the trail at a dirt road crossing just north of there. They were yelling at me to come drink some moonshine, but I just boogied on by and headed into the woods. I've been invited for a friendly drink before, and this wasn't a friendly drink.

Pedaling Fool
10-12-2011, 12:35
If it was just past 19E, I could believe it. The locals there are reportedly unhappy with the heavy-handed way land was appropraited for the trail corridor and have been carrying a grudge for a while. I got (mildly) hassled by some locals in the area who were parked by the trail at a dirt road crossing just north of there. They were yelling at me to come drink some moonshine, but I just boogied on by and headed into the woods. I've been invited for a friendly drink before, and this wasn't a friendly drink.Is that why there is an unofficial dump in that area?

Pedaling Fool
10-12-2011, 12:43
Couple of pics from that area

Stir Fry
10-12-2011, 12:45
It was still a dumping area last year. Never saw anyone just lots of trash. After this much time you would think they would get over it. They still have use of there land just have to let the hikers through.

bus
10-12-2011, 13:54
I had a guy (a high up at NASA no less) insist over and over that that AT runs through South Carolina, and, that he had just hiked the entire section through SC. I guess it was a short trip

Tabasco
10-12-2011, 14:07
I had a guy (a high up at NASA no less) insist over and over that that AT runs through South Carolina, and, that he had just hiked the entire section through SC. I guess it was a short trip

was he the Governor of SC? he took several AT hiking trips or so he's said......