PDA

View Full Version : I-40/AT cars vandalized

curtisvowen
10-11-2011, 08:10
5 cars were vandalized 8th October at the I-40/AT crossing.
All 5 cars each had 2 flat tires.
1 of the 5 had the flat tires plus a smashed window and stolen battery.
Always use caution when parking near a major Interstate in plain view.

bulldog49
10-11-2011, 12:52
5 cars were vandalized 8th October at the I-40/AT crossing.
All 5 cars each had 2 flat tires.
1 of the 5 had the flat tires plus a smashed window and stolen battery.
Always use caution when parking near a major Interstate in plain view.

Happens frequently at that location. I don't understand why anyone would park there when there is the option to park at Standing Bear Farm or at the Big Creek Ranger station so nearby.

HooKooDooKu
10-11-2011, 14:07
The stolen battery and smashed windows I understand (simply theviery). But to slash tires? I think there's a special place in #@!! for those kind of people.

curtisvowen
10-11-2011, 14:43
Details: Tires were not slashed. They used a special tool native to tire repair that allows you to pull the valve stem, the part that depresses to allow air into the tire....that part was pulled!!!!!!!!!!!
That tool is native to tire repair folks or bicycle repair persons.....which makes the whole thing strange.

4eyedbuzzard
10-11-2011, 15:11
Details: Tires were not slashed. They used a special tool native to tire repair that allows you to pull the valve stem, the part that depresses to allow air into the tire....that part was pulled!!!!!!!!!!!
That tool is native to tire repair folks or bicycle repair persons.....which makes the whole thing strange.Did they just take the inside part of the valve, which would simply be weird? Or did they remove the entire valve assembly (in order to steal the TPMS sensors)? Almost any auto mechanic, even a backyard one, or an HVAC guy, would likely have a valve stem tool (for a Schrader valve). You can buy one at any auto store, WM, etc.

curtisvowen
10-11-2011, 16:18
O.K. this makes more sense.
Victims I talked to...all about <5 minutes...said the valve stems were tampered with....I asked if they were still there and they said "yes"...but who knows. I did not physically see them....
How much are the TPMS sensors going for?
I don't think 1/2 these rigs would have them but I'm willing to learn.

4eyedbuzzard
10-11-2011, 16:48
O.K. this makes more sense.
Victims I talked to...all about <5 minutes...said the valve stems were tampered with....I asked if they were still there and they said "yes"...but who knows. I did not physically see them....
How much are the TPMS sensors going for?
I don't think 1/2 these rigs would have them but I'm willing to learn.
Well, if all they did was tamper with them, then it sounds like mischief. They'd have to deflate the tire, break the tire bead off the rim, and take the whole valve (everything you see extending from the rim + the inside) if they were after the sensors. A lot of work for a $30 - 50 part, plus they are brand specific and each one must be "registered" to the car's computer to work. It was just a thought.

curtisvowen
10-11-2011, 18:14
Got it.
"break the tire bead off the rim, and take the whole valve (everything you see extending from the rim + the inside), plus tied in with the car's computer.
This didn't happen, "they" pulled the valve "guts" using a Schrader valve tool? Common tool.
Learning something new each day.
Never had any problems at I-40....3rd time in 15 years.
You'll have more problems at a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Common sense, don't park near a major Interstate, exposed for the world to see your rig.