PDA

View Full Version : What size to cut my Tyvek to?

rjhouser
10-11-2011, 10:29
I just got a 9 ft by 4 ft piece of Tyvek that I want to cut down to use as a floor cover in shelters under my pad. I was thinking 7 ft by 3 ft or 7 ft by 3.5 ft would work maybe? I'm 6' tall, 175 lbs, and have a 6' sleeping bag. Just wanting to get some ideas before I take to cutting and realize I made it too small.

Farr Away
10-11-2011, 10:46
Leave it 9x4, and just fold if necessary? Does the piece you'll cut off really weigh all that much?

-FA

rjhouser
10-11-2011, 15:01
I wouldn't carry 9 by 4 unless I needed it. If anything it will just take up more room in my pack. I'm trying to save grams wherever possible.

Spokes
10-11-2011, 16:24
Just for shelter use? I'd lay the Tyvek down, put my pad and sleeping bag on top and cut it to size with maybe just a titch overlap.

If it's for a tent ground cloth I'd do the same thing but cut it to size. It's a pain if there's a bunch of extra. You end up stuffing it underneath anyway to keep water from pooling.

Cheers!

Moose2001
10-11-2011, 16:27
Just for shelter use? I'd lay the Tyvek down, put my pad and sleeping bag on top and cut it to size with maybe just a titch overlap.

Yeah...no bigger than your sleeping pad. At some point, you'll be stuffed in a shelter like cordwood. You won't have space that belongs to you on either side. So no need to have more Tyvek outside the footprint of your pad.

Papa D
10-11-2011, 20:19
I use a piece of Tyvek that is about 2.5 x 6 for my Hubba ground sheet - if I'm in a shelter, it works fine under my pad too

deadhorsejoe
10-11-2011, 21:28
If you intend to wash it before using it to reduce the crinkle noise then wait until after you wash it to trim because it will shrink a small amount.

ChinMusic
10-11-2011, 21:38
If it's for a tent ground cloth I'd do the same thing but cut it to size.

For a tent I would cut it an inch or two short. The last thing you want it the cloth extending past the edge of your tent and collect water. Being a bit smaller you don't have to be as precise with your placement.

rjhouser
10-11-2011, 22:16
What I really want it for is to protect my Western Mountaineering Summerlite from the dirty / splintery shelter floor... I have a small thermarest pad so just cutting it to that size wouldn't protect my bag. Guess I'll lay everything out in the yard and see if I can get a feel for how much to cut.

Hikes in Rain
10-12-2011, 12:09
That's generally what I use it for. I like to have a little bit, a foot or so, to stick out beyond my pad and bag, so I have a clean/dry place to set stuff like my glasses, contacts, headlamp, the book I'm reading, etc. The same sheet does double duty as a footprint when I use my tent.

Lyle
10-12-2011, 12:50
7 by 3 or 7 by 3.5 should work just fine.

Yes, you want it a little larger than your bag and pad. Helps to keep everything clean and organized.