PDA

View Full Version : Contacting the outside the world

strollingalong
10-11-2011, 14:16
How is signal on the AT? I'll need to be calling outside the US quite regularly during my thru next year. Wondering if it'll be possible for me to pick up a phone deal without being a resident in the States?

One assumes I can buy a pay as you go... but thats gonna be mighty expensive to make calls from unless I use a call card....but still very expensive.. hmmm random thoughts?

How about payphone regularity?

Reliable computer availabiliy with skype in trail towns/hostels?

strollingalong
10-11-2011, 14:18
contacting the outside the world

ddd´´oooohh

SassyWindsor
10-11-2011, 14:23
Get, or have a member get, a prepaid phone card at a Costco or Sams Club in the states. I'm thinking mine ran 3c per minute for non-international calls. Cell's are OK, I got one to use within the US at a WalMart, used the at&t phone card for international calls, I'm thinking it cost 10-15c per minute for these calls.

strollingalong
10-11-2011, 14:37
That sounds great.... I'm thinking my missus will also call via skype or a cheap phone card... I'm reading older articles (2005) that say cells are dead weight,,, just wondering what 6 years of unchecked expansion has done to signals in the mountains.... Do I need to show ID or sign anything with cheap cells at wallmart??? I live in a "dangerous" country so there's all sorts of checks when purchasing phones

strollingalong
10-11-2011, 14:52
whats the most common cheap brand to have? Nokia? I don't want to carry a charger everywhere, but figure I can borrow in towns....?

Feral Nature
10-11-2011, 15:24
I have a Straight Talk phone from walmart. It's pay as you go, $45. for unlimited minutes, texting and web. Don't remember signing anything. Works good here in the country where I am but that's all I know.