PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter/Loop in Mass?

Elmer
10-11-2011, 15:47
Hey all!
Anyone know of a nice little overnighter or loop somewhere in or around Massachusetts? Just pretty much looking to give my gear (and me, of course) a good overnight testing. Any help is appreciated as it's time to get off my duff and get some miles logged onto this ol' body.
Thanks for any info!

Tom Murphy
10-11-2011, 16:18
From Boston, the Berkshires and Mt Greylock is as far as the Sandwich Range in Central NH........

I would say your best bets are the Tully Trail or the Wapack trail which are both in North Central MA. I also did a short out and back on the M-M trail using the Mt Grace as the TH.

There is the Quabbin too, but don't get caught.

Snowleopard
10-11-2011, 19:13
Tom's suggestions are good. There was a recent thread that might be helpful:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?77136-Western-Mass.-2-night-loop

There is the Quabbin too, but don't get caught.
There is a little no-services legal campground right next to the Quabbin at the Federated Women's Club State Forest in Petersham, Mass. I never saw another camper there; my favorite site is 100' from the Quabbin boundary. You have to sign in at Otter River State Forest to get the key to the gate. I'm not sure about loops, but you could do an out and back from that site walking along the Quabbin. It was really convenient when I lived in Worcester for a quick getaway.

Driver8
10-11-2011, 23:11
Quabbin area is closer, but the countryside out in Berkshire County is gorgeous. Hard to beat the Greylock area, which has ample camping facilities, and the SW corner - Mts. Everett and Race area - is very nice.

Elmer
10-12-2011, 13:36
Thank you all! This info is very helpfull...I appreciate it greatly!