PDA

View Full Version : Retail Therapy

strollingalong
10-11-2011, 17:07
5 months to kick off! oooh eerrr

I'm thinking of buying quite a large amount of the stuff I need for the trail when I arrive to the states as things are overpriced with little choice where I live....obviously runners and socks will be worn in long before arrival...

I have thought about a few different scenarios....stay for a day in Atlanta and shop it up there, I heard there's an REI near(ish) springer or on the way (?) .... or bare basic it ridiculously for the first 30 miles to Neil's gap then buy extras there... wish I could just go shopping to the states for a week! money is going to be a bit tight, but not incredibly so.... any suggestions?

Hosaphone
10-11-2011, 17:12
Bare basic'ing it to Neel's seems like a good plan to me if you don't already have a lot of experience. It would sure suck to buy a whole bunch of heavy stuff at REI and then discover you wanted to swap it all out for other stuff 3 days later.

strollingalong
10-11-2011, 17:15
That's what I'm thinking. Though even bare basicing it to Neels I would need quite a lot of stuff initially... I would be quite the opposite of most I believe! Would probably earn a trail name like... not ready or dude, wheres my backpack or something

Feral Nature
10-11-2011, 17:31
"Dude where's my backpack" lol!

mountain squid
10-11-2011, 18:37
Research and buy as much as possible online. If still in need of major items, suggest reservations for 2 nights at the Hiker Hostel (http://hikerhostel.com/). While in Atlanta visit REI (http://www.rei.com/map/store#GA) if needed. Stay the night at the hostel. Next day take a trip to Mountain Crossings (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/) at Neels Gap to get whatever else is needed. Stay another night at hostel and then hike the next day.

Starting off unprepared might force you off the trail before making it to Neels Gap. Then you'll likely have to go through the scenario I just suggested anyway and it might cost more (not only in money but also in time). Being ill prepared is just not a good idea . . .

If you do plan to stay at the Hiker Hostel coordinate with them for other possible ideas and shuttle scenarios.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Feral Bill
10-11-2011, 22:47
I expect that with some research and a few phone calls and/or emails you could have your gear waiting for you at either REI or Mountain Crossings when you arrive. And REI does carry light gear. You just need the right sales person or a knowledge of what you want. Enjoy your hike.

nitewalker
10-12-2011, 06:21
buy your gear at mountain crossings if possible. they have the stuff u will need along with unparalled experience.

"dude wheres my backpack".........lol

Sailor (The other one)
10-12-2011, 07:12
This http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man/articles/12659?page=4 will give you a head start on what Mountain Crossings recommends.

Lone Wolf
10-12-2011, 07:32

I'm thinking of buying quite a large amount of the stuff I need for the trail when I arrive to the states as things are overpriced with little choice where I live....obviously runners and socks will be worn in long before arrival...

I have thought about a few different scenarios....stay for a day in Atlanta and shop it up there, I heard there's an REI near(ish) springer or on the way (?) .... or bare basic it ridiculously for the first 30 miles to Neil's gap then buy extras there... wish I could just go shopping to the states for a week! money is going to be a bit tight, but not incredibly so.... any suggestions?buy online at Campmor or visit the REI. mountain crossings is expensive

Trailbender
10-12-2011, 07:40
Do a lot of practice hikes and overnighters, and research dirtbagging. You would be surprised at how much you can save doing this.

The Old Boot
10-12-2011, 08:54

.... any suggestions?

I can thoroughly sympathize with little choice and way expensive plus shipping problems when you don't live stateside!!

My suggestion - do a whole lot of research on line so that you have most of your choices made. Standing in a shop wanting to start your hike is no time to be deciding which tent or bag or stove you want. Arrange with someone stateside for your stuff to be shipped to their address for you. This will give you the freedom to order from a whole range of 'cottage industry' suppliers instead of having to go with what REI or an outfitter carries.

Add a couple of extra days BEFORE you start hiking to do packing, repacking, food shopping, etc.

The trail will still be there and you'll start your hike prepared.

strollingalong
10-12-2011, 13:20
Great advice, thanks guys.

grayfox
10-12-2011, 18:38
If it works out that you can get to an REI store before starting your hike--you could plan to rent some stuff like a pack, stove, tent...from REI with the thought of sending these things back from Mountain Crossings where you could buy the gear you want. Especially the stove because you might have trouble getting one aboard your mode of transportation. Just a thought--I would contact the store and make sure they would have the gear waiting for you, perhaps they would send it to your Hostel or whatever.

Live_for_hiking
10-12-2011, 18:47
That's a difficult position to be in ....

I would not advise buying some equipment just before you need to use it. Not breaking in shoes before you hit the trail may potentially be painful. That is the one item I'd be inclined to get overseas before the hike.

Measure your torso length if you need a pack. Make sure your pack options fit your torso length. If you have a long torso over 22 inches, make sure your options are in the store.

Call the store in advance because most stores do not keep the same inventory as what you see online.

Find somebody State Side you can send gear to and keep an eye on internet deals ... like Steep and Cheap. They may also save you some time by picking up misc, low cost, starting items like fuel, containers, food, etc. You can always reimburse via paypal.

Blissful
10-12-2011, 19:23
T Not breaking in shoes before you hit the trail may potentially be painful. That is the one item I'd be inclined to get overseas before the hike.

I never had an issue with that with trail runners, if that is the route you go. They don't need breaking in, and I had several delivered to me while I was on the trail. And say he finds a pair oversees, if its trail runners he'll need more than one and that might be tough to get the same brand and make here unless its verified.

Blissful
10-12-2011, 19:28
Mountain Crossings may be pricey but the staff knows what you will need. Unless you can get a long distance hiker-type at REI you're taking a chance at what they outfit you with (unless you're knowledgeable yourself), plus they don't carry some stuff like ULA.

Sierra Echo
10-12-2011, 19:30
MX isn't necessarily pricey. They just only stock the more expensive/better quality items. There prices are the same whats asked on the manufacturers websites.

quilteresq
10-12-2011, 19:36
"Dude where's my backpack" lol!
Use a big pillow case. All the pics of Grandma ? (brain cramp - can't remember her name) - hiking look like that what she's carrying.

atmilkman
10-12-2011, 20:58
MX isn't necessarily pricey. They just only stock the more expensive/better quality items. There prices are the same whats asked on the manufacturers websites.
Ditto on this. Found Montbell jacket there same price as anywhere else. Not only that, it's just a cool place. Killer view out back.

springerfever
10-13-2011, 07:49
Avoid blowing a lot of money on stuff you don't need. Mountain Crossings will get you geared up properly with quality pieces that will last. Try to visit MC before you start.

Big Dawg
10-14-2011, 02:32
Use a big pillow case. All the pics of Grandma ? (brain cramp - can't remember her name) - hiking look like that what she's carrying.

Grandma Gatewood

jesse
10-14-2011, 03:22
No need to bare basic it to Neel's. Go there first if that is where you want to shop, then get a shuttle to the start. It will be an extra shuttle, but that might be cheaper than buying gear twice.