PDA

View Full Version : Campsites between 19E and Mountaineer Shelter?

bus
10-11-2011, 19:49
Hoping to add a few miles to my Carvers to 19E hike-if time allows. In case I don't make it to Mountaineer Shelter, are there any campsites between or near that shelter.

Water availability?

heading out early next week

fadeleaf
10-12-2011, 00:32
I hiked through there a couple of weeks ago, and I remember one by the Elk River, but I don't know how good the water is (I think there may be a small stream/runoff nearby, but the main river was dirt brown at the time...). There were definitely more than a few good spots to set up a tent on that stretch, but that's the only one I remember near water.

bulldog49
10-12-2011, 07:34
I hiked through there a couple of weeks ago, and I remember one by the Elk River, but I don't know how good the water is (I think there may be a small stream/runoff nearby, but the main river was dirt brown at the time...). There were definitely more than a few good spots to set up a tent on that stretch, but that's the only one I remember near water.

Yep, a great camping site at the Elk River. After you cross the river headed north there is a large meadow like area and a clear stream just north of that.

scissor
10-12-2011, 10:01
IIRC - If you walk maybe 3 miles past Mountaineer shelter you will run in to the head waters of the Laurel Fork. Its a small creek at that point with good water and a nice camp spot next to the water. If Mountaineer is full (or you just want to tent) there aren't many good spots to pitch there.

Tennessee Viking
10-12-2011, 10:41
Campsites: There are a few camping spots. But I wouldn't advise camping until your well past Campbell Hollow Road. Before that, you are walking behind private property and near roads. If anything there is Mtn Harbour B&B/Hostel at 19E. The first real campsite will probably be the mouth of Sugar Hollow in a large open area by the river; a couple miles south of MFS.

Past MFS, there is Slide Hollow. There is small well hidden campsite just before Walnut Mtn Road. Heading north after Mountaineer Falls Shelter, you will see that the trail will start to climb up to the left to Walnut Mtn Road from Slide Hollow. If you look toward the right around the trees and weeds, you will see a small creek with a campsite.

Water sources: Jones Falls, Sugar Hollow Creek (gather water just up stream from the trail crossing) @ Elk River, and Mountaineer Falls. Many sources going up Bishop Hollow are tainted. Elk River only if its clear and cold.

bus
10-12-2011, 11:25
Thanks everyone. I planned on just doing Carvers to 19E, (Maounatin Habour is my shuttle) but, if I can extend a half-day I can walk a ways past 19E camp and still be back home on time .

How often is that campsite at Sugar Hollow visted by unhappy locals?

gearfreak
10-12-2011, 11:47
I was through this area last week. The Elk River was running crystal clear. Descending from Jones Falls, you'll find a small campsite a couple of tenths north as you walk along the river bank. There's a small path to the waters edge. The tenting area further north near Sugar Hollow is overgrown. Just before Mountaineer Falls (which was flowing slow) is a side trail to a tenting area. There is a very small tenting area just past the side trail to the shelter also. I did not see the campsite at Slide Hollow. About a mile past Walnut Mountain Road you'll cross a small creek. There's a nice tent spot just to the right after you cross. At Upper Laurel Fork you'll see the campsite right where the trail turns uphill near the cascade. Walk past this down a faint trail and you'll come to a much nicer spot right on the bank. There's a small stack of firewood and some dry paper in a ZipLoc bag. Please remove the bag if you use all the paper.

Tennessee Viking
10-12-2011, 13:17
How often is that campsite at Sugar Hollow visted by unhappy locals?Welcome to the Buck Mtn area.
I know that the Elk River area has had past problems with horse traffic coming in from Elk Falls, old trail routes, and using nearby forest roads. They even ripped up the step-stile at the riverside. If you encounter anyone that doesn't look like to be a hiker. Just be polite and keep walking.

There are some old logging roads north of Campbell Hollow Road and north of Elk River, you can probably utilize as well.

My old trail club (TEHCC) reported that the USFS mowed Elk River back in July&Sept.