PDA

View Full Version : Alice packs....good idea or no?

sails2trails
10-12-2011, 04:37
Thinking of using an alice pack for my thru hike in 2012 was looking for any info concernng these packs(i.e. pack weight,does anyone use them on the AT, your opinion in general) thanks for any input

Hooch
10-12-2011, 08:26
Don't do it, you'll be sorry, guaranteed. The ALICE (All purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment) pack is heavy, doesn't carry well and is very cumbersome. Do some research and don't cut corners when it comes to buying a pack. Remember, your pack has to carry all your gear, but you've got to carry it, so it may as well fit well, carry all your stuff comfortably, be well made and able to stand up to the use (or abuse) you put it through. You're not going to get that with an ALICE pack at all. I carried one for far too long in the Marines with very heavy loads in it to ever wish one of those beasts on anyone.

Joey C
10-12-2011, 08:33
What Hooch said. The ALICE was designed for combat and toughness, not comfort. Shoulder ache, heavy, and a lot of other negatives come to mind. There's reasons the military no longer uses this pack.

4eyedbuzzard
10-12-2011, 08:51
What they all said. Military gear's designed purpose is combat, survival, and a host of other attributes that all come before hiking comfort. Get lightweight comfortable gear designed for civilian hiking.

Just a Hiker
10-12-2011, 09:03
When I was stationed at Camp Pendelton, CA, we would take our ALICE packs and jump on the PCT when we got 72 or 96 hour passes; and one of the main conversations was how lousy the ALICE pack is for regular packpacking. I always liked the pockets and room, but the ALICE pack is just simply uncomfortable.....okay for a 20 mile hump, but you'll be mailing it home by Neels Gap if you start a thru-hike with it.

sails2trails
10-12-2011, 09:08
Thanks for all the input and everyones opinion is what i thought it would be (i agree by the way) but i found they were a low priced pack and figured it was worth askiing about thanks again

bad marriage
10-12-2011, 10:55
Yes... I think you should carry your ALICE to Neels Gap. It will soooo make you appreciate what you get there.

Tenderheart
10-12-2011, 17:23
Another word for military gear is "HEAVY". I know what I'm talking about.

azb
10-16-2011, 22:53
I hiked the at e2e with an Alice pack. It was cheap, sturdy, and it worked. Now I use an Osprey atmos, and will never look back. It may cost 4 times as much, but it is 10 times more comfortable.Az

WalkinHome
10-17-2011, 13:49
Makes a great trail work pack though.

coach lou
10-17-2011, 14:09
Alice, how I miss her so!!! She's a day hiker... overniter at best. Used her in a pinch, she always sets off the metal detector. Route Step, HUH!!!

swjohnsey
10-18-2011, 17:52
Large Alice w/frame is a pretty good pack but heavy, about 6 1/2 pounds. My new ULA Ohm 2.0 weighs 1 3/4. I saw one guy with an Alice and he ditched it a Gatlinburg.