PDA

View Full Version : "Backpacker" Mag's Starter Kit

Dances with Mice
02-27-2005, 11:48
"Backpacker" Magazines's Gear Guide issue, March 2005, has a couple of pages devoted to their idea of "affordable, no fuss hiking gear" chosen for beginners. The editors based their choices on "user friendly features, low maintenance longevity, and reasonable prices."

So for pack, tent, pad, bag, stove, cookset, headlamp, poles, and GPS (?!), I calculate that their list came to over 19 pounds and over $750. But check my math, I'm an engineer.

I believe that for that much money I could replace all my equipment and have enough left over to upgrade my camera. Anybody want to take a shot at a suggested gear list for beginners? Here's 'Backpacker's, I hope the formatting works out.

Gear Recommendation.................Price............We ight
Backpack Lafuma Precision 60.......... $150.............5# 9oz
(3700 cu. in)

Kelty Gunnison 2 Tent......................$130.............5# 11 oz
(37 cu ft.)

Kelty Sonora Sleeping Bag................ $100.............3# 2 oz

Pad - Insul Mat Maxx Thermo............ $55...............1# 8 oz

MSR Blacklite Cookset...................... $35...............1# 6 oz

Brunton’s Raptor Stove.................... $40................ 5 oz

Petzl Tikka 2 Headlamp.................... $36................ 3 oz

Garmin Fore Trex 101 GPS................$139.............. 3 oz

REI’s Traverse Trekking Poles............ $75................1# 5oz

Total..........................................$76 0..............19# 4 oz

Lone Wolf
02-27-2005, 11:51
Backpacker Ragazine sucks. What do they know. Nobody on thier staff backpacks. :banana

NICKTHEGREEK
02-27-2005, 13:00
Backpacker Ragazine sucks. What do they know. Nobody on thier staff backpacks. :banana
I'm not sure that's really fair--I agree BP mag presently sucks compared to 5 or 10 years ago, but they have (had) a pretty salty crew of real BP'ers. At least in my mind, there's a big difference between ultra-light AT thru hiking (blaze to blaze, shelter to shelter, and town buffet to town buffet)and 10 days making your own route in Glacier or Denali with everything on your back.

I don't mean disrespect to the thousands who have thru-hiked the AT, just voicing my respect for a few good men and women BP'ers who happen to work for the magazine. The presentation of the content is a bit vapid because that is what the publisher demands, but the treks and people are real.

cutman11
02-27-2005, 13:17
How bout the list ive evolved into:

ULA P2 pack w/options $290.00 56oz
Wanderlust 2-4-2 Tent(used) $180.00 31oz
WM Megalite Bag + silk liner $360.00 32oz
Z rest pad $30.00 11oz
Evernew ti pot/lid/lexan spoon $40.00 5oz
Alcohol stove/fuel bottle/windscr $2.00 3oz
Tikka petzl headlamp $30.00 3oz
Leki Makalu poles $80.00 19oz

Totals $1012.00 160oz=10lb
There is a lot more stuff to consider (clothes, water system, toiletry/personal/emergency gear), but to compare apples to apples with the items on your list, Ive "saved" you almost 10lb, and I'm sure ultralighters here would go way less than mine........And if you consider most starters would buy heavier, cheaper stuff and "waste" the $ on that before going to better gear, if you skip that step and put the $500 spent towards the better gear in the first place, youve "saved" $500....So in a warped way, this "cost" is $500.00 for 10lb set up.;) Kinda like my wife buying 2 dresses, cause it was a "two for one" special....

Lone Wolf
02-27-2005, 13:24
You're right NICK. They do from time to time do some real backpacking stuff. The AT is easy compared to other long distance trails and expeditions.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-27-2005, 14:13
You're right NICK. They do from time to time do some real backpacking stuff. The AT is easy compared to other long distance trails and expeditions.
Not saying it's easy, just different.

Lone Wolf
02-27-2005, 14:14
For ME it's always been easy.

Dances with Mice
02-27-2005, 14:45
Totals $1012.00 160oz=10lb

Cool! I'm not sure I'd recommend a beginner jump right into ultralight. As you've said, your gear has evolved. Going the other way, I've kept the weight the same and tried to cut the price down low enough not to scare away newbies who aren't sure if they will like the sport or not.

I retained the sleeping bag because it sounds reasonable, but replaced everything else.

Gear………………………………. Price………..Weight
Kelty Storm Backpack……………...$110……..……4# 6 oz
(3600 cu in.)

Tent - Eureka Backcountry I….…$120….……….4# 4 oz
(36.5 cu ft)

Kelty Sonora Sleeping Bag……..…$100…………..3# 2 oz

Blue Pad from Wal-Mart…………....$ 5…………..10 oz

Wal-Mart Grease Pot………………....$ 8……….…..5 oz

Energizer LED Headlamp…………...$ 15..………….3 oz

Cat Stove & foil windscreen……..Free……..…….2 oz

Couglan’s………………………......……$ 4………….....1 oz
whistle/compass/thermometer

1 wooden hiking stick……………….Free………….1#

Total……..…………………...….$362……..…..14# 1 oz

Which gives me about $250 to spend on a new camera!

Tha Wookie
02-27-2005, 14:53
"Backpacker" magazine is not about backpacking. It's about selling gear.

Doctari
02-27-2005, 15:32
"Backpacker" magazine is not about backpacking. It's about selling gear.

About 6 - 10 years ago, I would have argued with you on this point, But when was the last time you saw them put down a piece of gear they reviewed??
Usually they end the review with something to the effect of "This is the best ___________ on the market, the staff universally LOVED it!!!!!!! Some of the testers even tried to steal it!" altho some times they will add at the end "_______ didn't like it, but you know what a whiney baby he/she is"

I cancled my subscription last year after the 6 page article on hiking the wilds of SanFransisco with maps & many glossy color photos. AND: only a 1/2 page write up on Oneleg.

Should change the name to "Gear packer, the rag for backpacking wannabees"

BTW: with the BP budget as listed above: I could replace ALL of my gear, and still have enough to re do all 400 miles of the AT I already did, with enough left to have a beer or 6 when I get home.

Doctari.

Nightwalker
02-27-2005, 17:13
Their's first, mine second. The asterisks are the big reason as to how I can afford to have good, light-ish gear.
---------------------------------------------------------
Backpack:
Lafuma Precision 60...........$150.................5# 9oz
(3700 ci)
Osprey Aether 60*.............$120.................3# 8oz
(3800 ci)

Tent:
Kelty Gunnison 2..............$130................5# 11oz
(37 sq. ft.)
SD LightYear CD*..............$109................2# 15oz
(23 sq. ft., incl. vestibule)

Sleeping Bag:
Kelty Sonora ................ $100.................3# 2oz
Mountainsmith Wisp*...........$175.................3# 8oz

Pad:
Insul Mat Maxx Thermo.........$55..................1# 8oz
Cascade Designs Ridgerest.....$29....................14oz

MSR Blacklite Cookset.........$35..................1# 6oz
Snowpeak Trek 1400 Ti.........$39.....................6oz

Stove:
Brunton’s Raptor..............$40.....................5oz
MSR Pocket Rocket*............$30.....................3oz

Headlamp:
Petzl Tikka 2.................$36.....................3oz
Princeton-Tec Aurora*.........$30.....................3oz
(included free photon light!)

GPS:
Garmin Fore Trex 101..........$139....................3oz
(N/A. I don't take one unless I'm mapmaking.)

Trekking Poles:
REI Traverse..................$75..................1# 5oz
Target Cheapos................$40..................1# 4oz

Total: $760, 19# 4oz
My Total: $572, 12# 13oz

*Bought on sale, or as a "last year's model" clearance.

Nightwalker
02-27-2005, 17:15
For ME it's always been easy.
Cool! Then I guess you won't mind carrying my pack for me this year.

:D

SGT Rock
02-27-2005, 19:05
Go see the $300 challenge, probably a better way for someone to get started then spending a grand.

Lone Wolf
02-27-2005, 19:07
***in right Frank! I'm your personal Sherpa. I can start 1 June.
BTW, speaking of Backpacker Magazine, I heard from reliable sources that after this year they will not be sponsoring Trail Days anymore. Not thier choice.

LIhikers
02-28-2005, 10:14
For a begginer here's the big changes I'd make. The smaller items could be improved upon too.

1. Replace the GPS with a compass and map save about $100+ and a pound or so.
2. Replace the Lafuma Precision 60 backpack with one made by Outdoor Products. I have one that's about 4500 cubic inches, weighs about 5 pounds, and I paid $50 out of the Campmor catalog. Weight savings about 9 0z. and money savings about $100.
3. Trekking poles, make a few trips without any. Bank the $75

Then there is the glarring omition of clothing or footwear. Maybe they just expect begginers to go out in their blue jeans, cotton tee shirt, and basketball sneakers

The Cheat
02-28-2005, 12:36
(3700 cu. in)

(37 cu ft.)

Here's my list for my next trip, but I'm cheap:

Peak 1 Lunar Backpack ...................$70...................3#
ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 2........$100.................5# 5oz
Kelty idontknowwhat Bag..................$40ish...............4#ish
Closed cell pad................................$10ish......... .....1#ish
Mess Kit.........................................$14... ..............1#ish
Pepsi/catfood stove.........................$2ish............... .couple of oz's
Cheap flashlight...............................$5....... ............1#
Compass and map............................$10................ ..1#
Stick............................................. $0...................if it gets heavy, chuck it.

Totals: $261 17#

Jaybird
02-28-2005, 12:56
"Backpacker" Magazines's Gear Guide issue, March 2005, has a couple of pages devoted to their idea of "affordable, no fuss hiking gear" chosen for beginners. The editors based their choices on "user friendly features, low maintenance longevity, and reasonable prices."

So for pack, tent, pad, bag, stove, cookset, headlamp, poles, and GPS (?!), I calculate that their list came to over 19 pounds and over $750. etc,etc,etc,.............................

whatever your list....unless you're making your own gear from scratch,...actually $760 is NOT a BAD price for FULL BACKPACKING GEAR! :D

AbeHikes
02-28-2005, 13:04
3. Trekking poles, make a few trips without any. Bank the $75
I did my first decent (28mi in 2 days) hike without any just so I'd be able to tell the difference. Then, I bought a $55 pair from REI. Helps on the uphill, helps on the downhill, and gives your arms/hands something constructive to do... Also helps with that "blood pooling in the hands/sausage fingers" feeling and exercises the shoulders better so pack straps aren't so annoying.

tlbj6142
02-28-2005, 14:12
But when was the last time you saw them put down a piece of gear they reviewedHow often do you ever read bad reviews from any source? Rarely. Heck even over at www.backpackgeartest.org, you almost have to "read between the lines" to discover the reviewers "true" impressions of a item.

Tha Wookie
02-28-2005, 14:17
How often do you ever read bad reviews from any source? Rarely. Heck even over at www.backpackgeartest.org (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/), you almost have to "read between the lines" to discover the reviewers "true" impressions of a item.Only when people aren't profiting off the reviews. Backpacker doesn't want to bite the hands that feed it. That's why the magazine is a joke.

One is probably better off planning for a hike with an issue of Adbusters (http://adbusters.org).

The Solemates
02-28-2005, 14:31
My advice for starter kit shown in red, chosen for money savings rather than weight savings.

(3700 cu. in)
Gregory Z-Pack...........................$149............... .3# 3oz

(37 cu ft.)
SD LightYear CD............................$109................ 2# 15oz

Campmor Goose Down 20 deg.............$109..............2# 4oz

Thermarest Z-Rest Long.................$20.................15 oz

Wal-Mart Aluminum 1 qt pot..............$5.................4 oz

MSR Pocket Rocket..........................$40............... .....3 oz

Princeton Tec Aurora........................$30................. ...3oz

Not needed

Not needed

................................................$4 57................9# 9 oz

Mags
02-28-2005, 14:39
Only when people aren't profiting off the reviews. Backpacker doesn't want to bite the hands that feed it. That's why the magazine is a joke.

One is probably better off planning for a hike with an issue of Adbusters (http://adbusters.org).

Alas, that is true for just about any magazine that sells equipment. Be it canoeing, climbing, runinng, etc. etc.

At least online forums such as this one can give you reviews that are not biased by ads (but can be biased by different factors) and from multiple view points.

My biggest complaint about Backpacker Magazine is not the gear reviews but the fact that is less and less about backpacking and more about the outdoor lifestyle. I posted my thoughts on this topic before on Whiteblaze.

see: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7403&page=2

Footslogger
02-28-2005, 15:43
[QUOTE=Mags]My biggest complaint about Backpacker Magazine is not the gear reviews but the fact that is less and less about backpacking and more about the outdoor lifestyle.
===================================
That's pretty much why I let my subscription lapse a couple years ago. Lots better (and more objective) equipment/clothing info available on list services and hiker forums.

'Slogger
AT 2003