PDA

View Full Version : Best stove for 2 plp

Jcm
10-12-2011, 14:11
I'm looking for a stove to cook for two plp on a thru hike in 2012 any info would be great

4Bears
10-12-2011, 14:34
Welcome aboard!:welcome
How much cooking are you planning just boiling water for FBC, coffee in the morning or something more complicated? The options are almost endless, from home made alky stoves to iso/butane canister stoves. The Snow Peak Giga Power is pretty good and could meet your needs but they can be a bit fussy in the cold, here is a link to check them out. http://www.rei.com/product/643058/snow-peak-giga-power-stove-with-piezo With more info the options can be narrowed quite a bit.

turtle fast
10-12-2011, 14:35
It depends on the type of cooking you are looking to do and the type of fuel you want to use. Alcohol fuels and white gas (Coleman fuel) are the most popular. You have many advocates for both. Alcohol is seen as a boil water then rehydrate food type cooking that uses a lightweight stove and less parts to get plugged up or broken. Gas has heavier components and more prone to need repair but has better simmering capability. Gas also has the potential problem of contaminating your stuff more as alcohol spilled dries better. I had used alcohol fuel as it was easily available and my stove was lightweight. I had seen a lot of Etowah II stoves on the trail and the users say it simmers too.

Jcm
10-12-2011, 15:05
It depends on the type of cooking you are looking to do and the type of fuel you want to use. Alcohol fuels and white gas (Coleman fuel) are the most popular. You have many advocates for both. Alcohol is seen as a boil water then rehydrate food type cooking that uses a lightweight stove and less parts to get plugged up or broken. Gas has heavier components and more prone to need repair but has better simmering capability. Gas also has the potential problem of contaminating your stuff more as alcohol spilled dries better. I had used alcohol fuel as it was easily available and my stove was lightweight. I had seen a lot of Etowah II stoves on the trail and the users say it simmers too. Well those minibulls stoves boil water for to plp like abod 2 and 1/2 cups at a time

Doc Mike
10-12-2011, 15:17
The choices are almost endless.
More info on how and what you are cooking is needed prior to an informed decision.

Feral Bill
10-12-2011, 15:19
The classic SVEA white gas stove has worked for me for over forty years. It is reliable, compact, and simmers. You can cook for up to four easily, if you wish to. Check Ebay for deals on used stoves, especially the original style before Optimus bought them out.

QiWiz
10-12-2011, 16:11
I'm looking for a stove to cook for two plp on a thru hike in 2012 any info would be great

I have had good luck using a 1.3 L Evernew pot on an alcohol stove that will bring 4 cups of water to a boil. My #1 choice would be a Caldera Cone setup, or if you want a DIY, have found the "penny stove" to bring 4 cups to a boil just fine.