PDA

View Full Version : An ABUSRD water filter question

Sierra Echo
10-12-2011, 14:31
After I rinse out the filter after my trip and before I store it, it needs to dry out.
Well how do I dry the water out of the hoses? I know thats a stupid question but I don't
want them to mold up~!!!!

hobby
10-12-2011, 14:38
pump some dilute bleach thru the filter, pump out excess, then store. no need to dry.
Next use, pump some fresh water thru to rinse

bigcranky
10-12-2011, 14:40
I hold one end and swing it around in circles over my head. Seriously.

Then I leave everything out and unassembled for several days to dry.

Sierra Echo
10-12-2011, 14:40
Thank you! I didn't pump bleach cause i took it, but never actually used it. Nice guys kept pumping my water for me with their filter!

turtle fast
10-12-2011, 14:44
After cleaning the hoses, hang them over a coat hanger or shower curtain rod making sure the ends are pointed down for the water inside to drain out and wait until dry. I have seen some use coat hangers with velcro to lightly wrap around the hose while the hose faces down, just make sure that that opening is not pinched shut. Wait a day or two until dry.

Doc Mike
10-12-2011, 15:19
Thank you! I didn't pump bleach cause i took it, but never actually used it. Nice guys kept pumping my water for me with their filter!
Way to work it girlfreind. You might make and entire thru and never need it. lol

4eyedbuzzard
10-12-2011, 15:27
Thank you! I didn't pump bleach cause i took it, but never actually used it. Nice guys kept pumping my water for me with their filter!Yeah, the only place guys get that service is hiking on Fire Island. :-? :eek:

QiWiz
10-12-2011, 16:08
I hold one end and swing it around in circles over my head. Seriously.

Then I leave everything out and unassembled for several days to dry.

+1; also then store in freezer just to be on safe side (when I still used a filter). Now use Aqua Mira and/or SteriPen and sold the filter off.

rsmout
10-12-2011, 16:10
One idea would be to get one of those small funnels from the pharmacist, plug the narrow end into the hose, and then use a hair dryer (if you have one) and blow out the water from the funnel end to the other end. If you're on the trail, it could be the funnel you use with your fuel bottle/stove, and then use a dryer in the hostel/hotel room. A lot more trouble then the other methods mentioned, but there would be no doubt about the tube being dry, and you could argue that the bugs would be fried if you got the tube hot enough.

Wow. Never ask an engineer about a how-to problem.

Pedaling Fool
10-12-2011, 18:16
Nice guys kept pumping my water for me with their filter!They probably just want to see your piercings;)

Sierra Echo
10-12-2011, 19:30
They probably just want to see your piercings;)

Just like you!!!! ;D

Sierra Echo
10-12-2011, 19:31
Yeah, the only place guys get that service is hiking on Fire Island. :-? :eek:

You need big boobs if you want good service!

SassyWindsor
10-12-2011, 19:59
pump some dilute bleach thru the filter, pump out excess, then store. no need to dry.
Next use, pump some fresh water thru to rinse

I would not use bleach on any water filter that has an activated charcoal filter. Use the bleach solution on everything but the filter element. Fine if using a ceramic core type filter.

SassyWindsor
10-12-2011, 20:01
.... and do not use bleach solution on an iodine (viral) attachment/cartridge.

rmitchell
10-12-2011, 21:53
...and do not put a filter cartridge for a Katadyn/Pur Hiker in the microwave to kill cooties. (It melts).

Sarcasm the elf
10-12-2011, 22:00
...and do not put a filter cartridge for a Katadyn/Pur Hiker in the microwave to kill cooties. (It melts).

I hadn't thought to use the microwave yet, but there is a good chance you just saved me $45.

-SEEKER-
10-13-2011, 10:20
[QUOTE=bigcranky;1208113]I hold one end and swing it around in circles over my head. Seriously.
You've heard of "Do Not Try This At Home"? Well, I recommend DO NOT DO THIS IN THE HOME. Especially if others are in striking distance. OUCH!

Spokes
10-13-2011, 12:03
?....
Well how do I dry the water out of the hoses? I know thats a stupid question but I don't
want them to mold up~!!!!

Remember 7th grade science class? Use centrifugal force, spin 'em around like a set of nunchucks, then hang 'em up to finish drip drying.

hobby
10-13-2011, 12:10
You need big boobs if you want good service!

I do!! but not real attractive on a guy......:eek:

Man Scout
10-14-2011, 09:49
This is a trick that I learned from Jason Klass' (spelling??) web site. I use a fish tank aerator. Plug in the air pump and put the pump hose inside one end of the water filter hose and the steady flow of air will dry it out pretty quickly. Works pretty well for playpus, dromedary bags, etc. too!