PDA

View Full Version : Compact light-weight bow-saw?

Don Newcomb
10-12-2011, 15:34
On my last wilderness area outing I took along my Columbia collapsible bow-saw to do some light trail maintenance. Seemed like a good idea. When I started using this saw I could not make a straight cut to save my life. Net results was a lot of effort with little effect. Was it the saw or was it me? I don't know. Can anyone suggest a good packable bow saw for trail maintenance? I realized that a triangular saw will only work for limbs up to about 3" in diameter. For larger limbs I will need a "D"-type saw.

Toli
10-12-2011, 15:50
On my last wilderness area outing I took along my Columbia collapsible bow-saw to do some light trail maintenance. Seemed like a good idea. When I started using this saw I could not make a straight cut to save my life. Net results was a lot of effort with little effect. Was it the saw or was it me? I don't know. Can anyone suggest a good packable bow saw for trail maintenance? I realized that a triangular saw will only work for limbs up to about 3" in diameter. For larger limbs I will need a "D"-type saw.

Check out the Saw QiWiz makes... It's in the "Used Items For Sale"... Mine works awesome, and will eat a 4inch+ limb in no time... Weighs 4 ounces and packs down to nothing... Had it out 3 times now with no complaints... Takes only 30 seconds to assemble...

Rain Man
10-12-2011, 15:52
Where's the video?! If you don't have it on video, it didn't happen! LOL I rarely take it, but when I do take one, I take my Sven. It's a triangular, collapsible bow-saw. Works great.

Couple of tricks I know: keep your cutting shoulder over/in line with your cut. Cut with long, slow strokes.

Rain:sunMan

Tom Murphy
10-12-2011, 16:00
My Sven Saw works well for me for wood prep during winter camping.

Kerosene
10-12-2011, 16:49
Check out the Saw QiWiz makes... It's in the "Used Items For Sale"... Mine works awesome, and will eat a 4inch+ limb in no time... Weighs 4 ounces and packs down to nothing... Had it out 3 times now with no complaints... Takes only 30 seconds to assemble...Here's QiWiz' thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?77463-It-s-Back-UL-15-inch-quot-Little-Buck-quot-Saw-about-4-oz

Jeff
10-12-2011, 17:24
I love my Corona saw. Packs easily with a scabbard.

http://www.amazon.com/Corona-Clipper-14-inch-RS-7395/dp/B000GIIQFC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318454540&sr=8-3

ATsawyer
10-12-2011, 18:34
+2 on the Corona saw, but it cuts on the PULL stroke. A lot less likely to bind than a bow saw.

QiWiz
10-14-2011, 09:50
Where's the video?! If you don't have it on video, it didn't happen! LOL I rarely take it, but when I do take one, I take my Sven. It's a triangular, collapsible bow-saw. Works great.

Rain Man - a rather long but instructive video featuring the Little Buck can be viewed at www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmvL8caLuAg

I have a Sven saw too, and a Sawvivor, and a couple regular non-collapsing bow saws. They are all fine for cutting wood if you you don't have to carry them in your pack and add the weight. That's where the Little Buck comes in. Less than half the weight of the next lightest, and much less than half the weight of a Sven. I might add I can put the Little Buck together in about half the time of my Sven. But that's just bragging ; )