PDA

View Full Version : Looking for neutral angle hiking (very low heel) shoes/boots.....any suggestions?

jen.sprout
10-12-2011, 16:11
Ok fellow hikers - I need some help. Need a new pair of boots, sorry for long post, but like most of us, very picky on boots.

I spent the last few years hiking in Birkenstock Rockports. Yes, they made a hiking boot, and it fixed a lot of my knee, hip and blister problems because they were neutral angle - 0 or darn close to it (angle that the foot is above the horizontal as measured from toe to heels). Most heels on most shoes are built up.

My dilemma is that Birkenstock is not longer shipping/carrying these. Had I known of course, I would have bought like 3 pairs, so it goes.

I need to find a replacement. Other issues/thoughts:
--need a wide toe box (yes, have Keen day hikers, but still jacked up further than I'd like on heel)
--I am a five finger runner - so considering perhaps a lighter shoe, but concerned about carrying a pack/weight over rough terrain in a very lightweight shoe, plus I prefer higher angle support for carrying a pack.

Any thoughts would be appreciated....I have to start boot shopping and it's not going to be pretty. Hoping to roll out the Sierra's on the PCT next summer and need to get something sorted out over the winter.

Thanks in advance!

-Jen aka Sprout

jen.sprout
10-12-2011, 16:12
Let me fix my typos -

Higher "ankle" support, not angle support for pack/rougher terrain. Sorry for confusion.

jcazz
10-12-2011, 16:15
http://www.theclymb.com/brand-event/509/VIVOBAREFOOT

jen.sprout
10-13-2011, 09:16
jcazz - thanks!

I have been peeking at the vivobarefoot - anyone with experience with them? How do they hold up? Etc.?

-Jen

leaftye
10-13-2011, 16:13
You're looking for 'zero drop' footwear. This is becoming popular. You can find examples of this from New Balance, Altra Running, Inov-8 and others. One potential problem is that zero drop shoes are often minimal in nature, which means your feet might hurt on long hikes if it doesn't have a good rock plate.

jen.sprout
10-14-2011, 19:31
Thanks leaftye!

Lint
03-20-2012, 16:57
This is an old post, but I'll vouch for Altra Lone Peak shoes. I just discovered them, and they are the best shoe I've ever worn. Not a lot of stores carry them, but they are worth the hunt.