PDA

View Full Version : Standardized maps?

hikerjohnd
02-27-2005, 12:07
I just got my set of maps for the AT and was wondering if there has ever been any discussion or plans of standardizing the maps? The guidebooks all seem to follow the same layout, but the variety in the maps seems frustrating. What about numbering the whole map set so beginners would know what order they all go in...

I suppose a computer program would give me what I want, but not having used one, I question the cost/final output possibilities. I like the profile maps and the other info on the maps so I don't think the computer programs are for me. Any users have experience that counters what I only think?

If I am opening a can of worms, I apologize - but I did a search and didn't find this topic...

Mouse
02-27-2005, 12:33
I think the silliest are PA, with 4 maps for the first half and one for the rest of the state.

cutman11
02-27-2005, 12:36
And how about just producing a DOUBLE SIDED map of just the PROFILE maps. Most who use the maps just use them for the profiles, and you could fit most of the trail on a couple double sided ones, I'd bet.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-27-2005, 12:38
Interesting concept, I haven't seen the whole set but among the PATC set that I have (nos 7-12) they follow pretty much the same format except for #11. Someone was smokin' crack when they revised this one in 1999. There's a load of purple cross-hatch that makes the map very hard to read in low light conditions. Map makers should clearly present features, not do the best they can to obscue them or simply eliminate them. I'd like to see 100% inclusion of all the cultural features (roads, homes, towns, etc where possible, or at least add some direction and distance cues that there's a town nearby if not shown on the map.

Peaks
02-27-2005, 19:18
Good question. Maps should be standardized. Why not get involved with the ATC Guidebook Committee?

SGT Rock
02-27-2005, 19:22
Yes, the entire set is like a grab bag of map styles. It would be nice to have a standardized set of maps, but the local trail clubs have that responsibility and not the ATC itself.

bulldog49
02-28-2005, 10:58
I much prefer the smaller format that the sections from Davenport Gap to Dasmascus are in than the large ones like the Georgia map.

The Old Fhart
02-28-2005, 11:21
You guys have it made. When I started in 1987 some morons had the elevation on the GA,TN, and NC maps in meters but showed the trail profiles on those same maps in feet! Is it easier to climb Snowbird Mt. when it is 1280 on the map or about 4200 on the profile? :D

walkin' wally
02-28-2005, 14:30
I am wondering if the ATC or someone else could create a digitized program that could be sent to the various maintaining clubs so that they could plug their data into it and the format would be the same from club to club? Or is it better to just leave things the way they are?
The Maine ATC maps are digitized, I believe, and this makes the changes to the maps easier.
I believe 'Walkin Home' was involved in this.