PDA

View Full Version : When a bear comes into camp

wornoutboots
10-12-2011, 21:25
When a bear come into camp & your inside your tent & it starts sniffing @ right outside it, do you A) make a lot of noise to let it know your there & try to scare it away or B) be as quiet as possible & hope it just goes away? Luckily I have never had this happen but if it does, I would love to know what the experts do

JansportD2
10-12-2011, 21:33
While backpacking in SNP with my dad 30 years ago, a bear came into camp and sniffed all around our tent. Our food was hung about 100 ft from the tent. My dad's response was to unzip the tent door, look out, say "bear", zip the tent back up and immediately go back to sleep. I was mad at him because I was up all night. In hindsight, his was the right response.

moytoy
10-12-2011, 21:35
Lots of noise. The bear already knows your there because he can smell you.

Blissful
10-12-2011, 21:37
Wear earplugs, you'll never hear it.

smokeeater908
10-12-2011, 21:47
Wear earplugs, you'll never hear it.

Now that's what I'm talking about:D

johnnybgood
10-12-2011, 21:49
Assuming you haven't been cooking in your tent or have food then he shouldn't be inticed to come in .

A bear will normally be scared off by loud noises , unless there's a meal inside waiting for him.

MuddyWaters
10-12-2011, 22:05
He already knows your there.

Not being scared of you though, is a bad thing. That flimsy little tent doesnt prevent the bear from messing with you. He can rip it open as easy as you open a bag of chips if he wanted too.

Bears are a lot like people. They are intelligent and have distinct personalities. Some are good, and some are prone to cause trouble. They will repeat behaviors that have been rewarded in the past, and will become bolder every time as well.

You have an obligation to yourself, others, and the bear to make sure any encounters with people are "unpleasant" for it.

Loud noises are a start. Ive heard of people that carry firecrackers just for that to scare a bear off. Or a mini air-horn. Bear spray could be effective too if you could see it. But maybe just yelling "Go away Bear" very loud and banging something against a pot would work too.

GoldenBear
10-12-2011, 22:32
Do what you can to reinforce the idea that "Smell of human = trouble!"
That is the normal state of affairs for bears, which is why they normally run as soon as they realize humans are around.
Apparently, this bear has been "taught" that "Smell of human = possible easy food." Even though you would do nothing to add to this (potentially disastrous) belief, the bear needs to un-learn this association.

It won't be easy, and it may already be impossible by the time the bear enters your camp. But you can't know either way. So all you can is hope that your effort will have some success.
Unfortunately, if the bear continues in the latter association, it will inevitably do something that will require it being killed or, at best, relocated. The simple rhyme "A fed bear is a dead bear" sums it up best.

So, at the very least, make a lot of noise. If you carry some anti-bear gear (spray, air horn), use it. The absolutely BEST thing you can accomplish is to have the bear run away thinking, "I thought the smell of humans was a GOOD thing!"

However, do not physically ATTACK the bear unless it starts to get very aggressive towards you.

-SEEKER-
10-13-2011, 10:11
This happened at Deer Park Mountain Shelter in 2009. There were two of us in the shelter, two hammock hangers, a tent with one girl, and another tent with two girls. A bear was nuzzling the toes of one hammock hanger, he said nothing. Later it was around the other hammock hanger, he started yelling and got out and started throwing things at the bear. Well, with all the commotion everyone got up and was going through their stuff. Sure enough three people had snacks with them. We hung our packs on the bear cables, one hammock hanger crawled into the shelter with us (bringing three large rocks) and the one girl crawled into the tent with the other two. The bear kept entering and leaving the area all night. There was a full moon that night so it was neat & easy to watch. The next morning when we got up it was there having at a ziplock bag containing food or trash. Moral of the story don't just ignore it you may be leaving others (who don't follow safe bear/food guidelines) at risk.14108

bad marriage
10-13-2011, 11:07
Goldenbear, glad you brought up the fireworks. Never heard anyone mention this before for bear control, but it always made sense to me. One loud M-80 bang, or a whole pack of firecrackers dancing around on the ground as they pop, would surely chase the bruin out of the area. Fireworks are cheap, light, relatively safe, and easy to use. I would much rather pitch that firecracker at a bear 30 ft away, than have to use bear spray at ten feet. Everyone here seems to agree that we have responsibility to make the bear's human encounter unpleasant... I think fireworks offer the most "bang for the buck."

SMSP
10-13-2011, 11:23
If was really cold outside, maybe let the bear inside and snuggle up with it. But the other advise is likely a better option.
Just kidding of course.

SMSP

Spokes
10-13-2011, 12:11
Goldenbear, glad you brought up the fireworks....Fireworks are cheap, light, relatively safe, and easy to use....

It always amazes me all the extra "stuff" people cram in their packs but more interestingly how they go about rationalizing it. Scary. Gives credence to the "More Fear= More Gear" thread.

wornoutboots
10-13-2011, 12:18
I always take my whistle into my tent so I would use that, it seems like the fireworks could start a forest fire??

GoldenBear
10-13-2011, 12:21
I wasn't the one to first suggest the idea of using fire crackers, I personally would never carry them, and I now regret recommending their use.
But if you're going to do so, some things to know:

M-80s and cherry bombs have been completely illegal in the U.S. since 1966.

Here's some good advice from people who make a living selling fireworks:
http://fireworksland.com/html/m80.html
http://www.pyrouniverse.com/m80.htm

Fire crackers -- pyrotechnics designed for ground-based noise -- are very strictly regulated at the federal level, and illegal in several states the A.T. runs through.

Pennsylvania, for example
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/psp/4451/fireworksfaq/537214
which bans the possession or sale of non-novelty pyrotechnics by its residents, but permits such sales to residents of other states, including those that completely ban such items. Money talks in PA!!

Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York ban ALL fireworks, and Maine and Vermont permit only "novelty" items.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/012.html

Georgia
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_204303.asp

North Carolina
http://www.wbtv.com/story/14982840/july-4-fireworks-safety-whats-legal-in-nc

Tennessee, Virginia, and Maryland have local options.
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Legal-Illegal-Fireworks-in-DC-Maryland-Virginia-124435659.html

Connecticut
http://www.cslib.org/law.htm#fireworks

In addition, all pyrotechnics are banned within national parks and national forests.
http://yubanet.com/regional/Possession-and-Use-of-Fireworks-Illegal-on-Public-Lands-National-Parks-National-Forests.php#.TpcOfs1y8U8

Conviction for "possession of an illegal explosive" will NOT look good on a resume.

An air horn will accomplish everything that a fire cracker would do, is completely legal, won't start a fire if you use it at night (when you can't see if the area where you're throwing it has dry tinder or not), and has no risk of injury even if you use it while trying to remain calm ten seconds after waking up.

bad marriage
10-13-2011, 15:51
You're right... there are probably more good reasons to stay away from the firework thing than to pack them. In over 30 years of getting out, all of my close bear encounters have been uneventful and I've never carried any sort of noise source short of pots and pans. It seemed like this thread was headed down the path of how to deal with the conditioned, problem, possibly aggressive bear encounter and the responsibility we have to leave a lasting impression on these bears. So, sorry Goldenbear didn't mean to stir things up. I was just agreeing with you that in that rare, but certainly possible, encounter where a bear needs to be sent a-running, the fireworks would really do the trick... and the gravity of some bear encounters could make local fireworks regulations seem inconsequential. But yes, for all the reasons you all mentioned they will not be found in my pack either. Just didn't want you to think I'm some explosive toting whack job....

SassyWindsor
10-13-2011, 16:03
We are talking about Bear Grylls, right? :D

TyTy
10-13-2011, 16:07
My suggestion is use some bacon to attract the bear close in, throw a bridle over its face and jump aboard. Ride the wild out of it (similar to taming a wild horse if you will) and enjoy the rest of your hike up off the ground on your fury new pet.

Bonus...the fuzzy guy serves as a great pillow when you stop to sleep...dual use!

just dad
10-13-2011, 20:05
My suggestion is use some bacon to attract the bear close in, throw a bridle over its face and jump aboard. Ride the wild out of it (similar to taming a wild horse if you will) and enjoy the rest of your hike up off the ground on your fury new pet.

Bonus...the fuzzy guy serves as a great pillow when you stop to sleep...dual use!

Wow. When I see an aggressive bear, I typically only take its picture.

Sierra Echo
10-13-2011, 20:17
Just roll over and go back to sleep. Ive had it happen, its no big deal.

Lone Wolf
10-13-2011, 20:27
When a bear come into camp & your inside your tent & it starts sniffing @ right outside it, do you A) make a lot of noise to let it know your there & try to scare it away or B) be as quiet as possible & hope it just goes away? Luckily I have never had this happen but if it does, I would love to know what the experts doi tell it to EFF off. and i sleep with my food. bears ain't a problem with food in a tent

JansportD2
10-13-2011, 20:51
with your air horns,firecrackers and whistles. If a bear is in camp and I'm asleep that's exactly how I want to stay - asleep. Remember, you're the visitor. You're camping in their home. For every bear you see or hear there are probably a dozen who wander near or through camp without being noticed.

Del Q
10-13-2011, 21:06
So, how much does an M-80 weigh?

Walkintom
10-13-2011, 22:19
Mmmm, bear meat.

Big Dawg
10-14-2011, 01:47
When a bear come into camp & your inside your tent & it starts sniffing @ right outside it, do you.....

I'd punch it in the nose, and say "get ur own effn food". Then I'd snuggle back up to my food pillow!!

Live_for_hiking
10-15-2011, 14:30
I've had two encounters with bears. Both happened along the Superior Hiking Trail at different times.

1. Turned a bend to see two cubs. I stood still. One took off in the opposite direction. One climbed a tree. I sat still for what seemed like forever until the tree climber got down and followed its sibling. I then stood still for a good while longer as I'm sure the momma was watching. I mentioned it to another hiker and he said that he'd seen them the other day at a garbage dump near the trail. Apparently a lot of bears hang out near the Silver Spring's town dump..... Things to know I suppose. Ever since then, I carry a little change in my pocket when I'm by myself so I don't turn a bend and surprise anything.

2. I was hiking with some buddies and we decided to go for a swim in a lake at the end of a long hot day. I was floating on my back and enjoying the clear blue skies when I finally heard my buddies yelling at me. I popped up and glanced at them. They were frantically pointing at the other side of the shore. I turned around and about 30 yards from me was this HUGE black bear with its paws in the water staring at me (or at the three guys waving their arms directly past me). Oh my! I slowly swam back to my side of the lake. The part that freaked me out was not the bear ... but the handful of leeches that tried to follow me on to dry land.

3. This isn't a bear story but it actually scared me more. I was hiking along a trail and a dove(I think) had nested along the fringes of the trail. When I was about 10 yards from its nest it made a ruckus as it flew directly at my head. It scared the living crap out of me. I may have shrieked ... I'm not sure. Good thing nobody saw me scream like a baby!

No bears in camp yet. I admit to sometimes getting lazy with my bear bag too. It's not always hung 100' away.....

ChinMusic
10-15-2011, 15:01
There's a bear that owes Lone Wolf 11 bucks.

Ladytrekker
10-15-2011, 15:06
My cousins were camping in the smokies about two years ago it was my first cousin and his two teenage daughters. A bear came up to their tent ripped a hole in the side and grabbed one of the girls purses while they were asleep in the tent and ran off with it they found the purse a few hundred yards from the tent. She had fruity smelling lip gloss in it the ranger told them that was probably what the bear was after. Scared the you know what out of my cousins.

mikec
10-15-2011, 15:07
I woke up one night in my tent to the sound of a bear sniffing right on the other side of my tent. This was at the Red Creek Campground in the Monongahela National Forest, WV. He was also passing gas and belching. I started yelling something like "Get out of here, Bear". He did. I will have to try the whistle trick next time. One thing that I think helped was that I did pee around my tent to mark my territory before going to bed that night. What didn't help was that I had been standing downwind from a campfire on which steaks were being cooked. I smelled the steak smell on me so I am sure that the bear did too. So I learned a lesson from this experience. I also now use earplugs.

Hoofit
10-15-2011, 15:08
Hiking down the trail one day, I came upon a bear
He really didn't do much, just sat right down and stared
We both were on the trail that day
But only me was scared

So I sat right down beside him
And stared right back his way
Heck, he just scratched his ass
Looked at me ,but didn't go away

So I turned around and dropped my pants
And from the bottom of my heart
Let out my personal mating call
A deep, loud roaring fart

I never saw that bear again
As he took off in a hurry
Was my 'BEARASS' just too much for him
Or was it last night's curry......

hikerboy57
10-15-2011, 15:09
well done!!!

Odd Man Out
10-15-2011, 15:28
Of course you know about the two wildlife biologists. They were sitting around the campfire. They had just taken off their shoes so they could dry by the fire when a large bear comes up and starts licking his lips, acting agitated, and getting ready to charge. One of the guys slowly reached out to grab his shoes and started to lace them up. The other says, "You are a wildlife biologist. Surly you know you can't out run an adult bear." The other one says, "I don't have to out run the bear. I just have to out run you."

10-17-2011, 20:40
If you carry firecrackers you can bet most if not all the powder will be bounced out. Making for duds. My best thing to do is just bark, imitate a dog. Bears fear dogs, or at least the bears in Virginia. Big hound hunting bear clubs in Virginia, and they have a long chase season. Many animals will walk around your tent at night, they all sound loud and big, most are skunks, raccoons and possums. Hanging your food does not make the smells go away.

Del Q
10-17-2011, 21:17
True story, my closest encounter was in the Gaspe Peninsula, age 13, wilderness camp, I pitched my poncho at the edge of a picnic table and went to sleep. Woke up with a small but good sized bear, not a cub, licking my lips. I heard that the German pronunciation of my last name has the word "bear" in it, no pics but I think that the bear might have been a distant relative.

The counselors and other campers thought it was funny, I was never scared but got out of my sleeping bag pretty quick!

Rasty
10-17-2011, 21:28
I had a bear take my pack in the Adirondacks. I forgot to put my cigarettes in the bear canister. It bit a hole through the pack. I found my pack about twenty feet away in the morning. I still smoked them.

Track3307
10-17-2011, 22:49
My bear encounter was the second night I ever spent on the AT. Was holed up in Spence Field with way more campers then that shelter was supposed to handle. Of course we had several individuals completely disregard the cooking in the shelter rule, so I cannot say I didn't expect some form of animal to visit us that night. Needless to say I slept very lightly that night.

Anyways, around 3 AM I awoke to something pressing down on my feet. I very, very slowly lifted my head up to stare face to face with a black bear with its chin on my feet sniffing around the shelter. I drew my feet back and it sniffed about 2 minutes longer, and left the shelter to munch on the Mountainhouse one of the folks camping with us left by the fire.

The only other bear sighting I have had was about 1/2 mile South of Deep Gap Shelter. It was around 8:30 p.m. and I was hauling ass to make it to the shelter (Was finishing up a 21 mile day) and noticed a huge black shadow dive from a tree up the hill to my left. I looked and confirmed it was a bear; the poor bastard was so scared he tried to run, fell down, got back up, fell down again, and finally took off. Felt bad for that poor bear.

But yup, I just don't care about bears anymore. I carry mace but am tempted to lose it.

Sarcasm the elf
10-17-2011, 22:53
I almost always have a dog with me when hiking, at night the dog sleeps in the tent with us. Not sure what these "bears" are that everyone's talking about.

ChinMusic
10-17-2011, 23:04
I almost always have a dog with me when hiking, at night the dog sleeps in the tent with us. Not sure what these "bears" are that everyone's talking about.

Makes one wonder why someone hasn't invented "dog scent" to put around your tent.

Tinker
10-17-2011, 23:32
Makes one wonder why someone hasn't invented "dog scent" to put around your tent.

It would probably attract coyotes. They came in pretty close in NY when we (the Parade of Fools) had dogs with us. I never noticed coyotes much before or since. I think that they view domesticated dogs as rivals or, possibly, as potential sources of food.

ChinMusic
10-17-2011, 23:47
It would probably attract coyotes. They came in pretty close in NY when we (the Parade of Fools) had dogs with us. I never noticed coyotes much before or since. I think that they view domesticated dogs as rivals or, possibly, as potential sources of food.

Ooooo, a bonus. I like having coyotes around.

I have to admit, now that you mention it. The times that coyotes have come the closest to me are when I had my dog with me. My dog must have had a lot of faith in me. He would just lay there, curled up next to me, and seem totally unbothered.

Tinker
10-17-2011, 23:53
Ooooo, a bonus. I like having coyotes around.

I have to admit, now that you mention it. The times that coyotes have come the closest to me are when I had my dog with me. My dog must have had a lot of faith in me. He would just lay there, curled up next to me, and seem totally unbothered.

That primal howl (you can tell when a pack's hunting as two groups will howl back and forth from a distance) makes the AT seem a bit more wild, and I like that, too.

Papa D
10-18-2011, 00:19
I was at Thomas Knob shelter a couple of months ago and we had one of the Grayson Highland Ponies keep trying to get in the shelter - we just kept shooing him and he went away - funny

daddytwosticks
10-18-2011, 07:23
I can see a new thread on Whiteblaze..."What's the best doggy sound effect to ward of bears..." :)

DavidNH
10-18-2011, 12:43
answer really is C. I get my Camera (that hopefully is IN the tent) and snap a closeup photo of this bear! Maybe the last picture I ever take but at least I'll have a cover photo for someone to use! beyond that, I'd be very quiet and hope it to walk off. Bears usually do walk off. There wouldn't be any food in my tent for the bear cause I'm not that dumb (I hope!).

David