PDA

View Full Version : Dumb sleeping pad/bag question

thepokerkid227
10-12-2011, 21:44
This may be a dumb question but which is better/preferred? Sleeping pad inside or underneath the bag?

Papa D
10-12-2011, 22:04
Actually, I think that is a great question -- I always place my pad under my bag - just an old habit - a lot of folks that use inflatable pads put them inside the bag - it seems to be sort of a new thing - some bags even come with sleeves for pads - again, not my thing but it is interesting - - - this keeps you from rolling off of the pad at night but I think you probably end up with nearly no benefit from the completely compressed bag loft beneath you. So, I would say that it is a matter of preference if you are using an inflatable pad. I think a closed cell foam pad should stay under the bag. If you are using down and want to be as warm as possible, I would insulate from the ground up as follows - ground sheet, tent floor, pad, bag (hot water bottle inside (optional)). If you are sleeping in a trail shelter, you should use your ground sheet under everything to keep your bag clean - if you don't have a ground sheet, then obviously put your pad under your bag.

MuddyWaters
10-12-2011, 22:08
the only dumb question is the one that isnt asked.

Sarcasm the elf
10-12-2011, 22:10
Generally pads are designed to go underneath the bag. This allows you to take full advantage of the insulation in your sleeping bag and offers your bag some protection by keeping it off the floor. There are a few manufacturers that make bags that are designed with an integrated pad, I haven't used one so I can't comment on their pros and cons.

Someone asked a similar question recently, the link to the thread is below:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?77473-Sleeping-pad-question&highlight=pad+underneath+big+agnes

thepokerkid227
10-12-2011, 23:34
Thanks! Did some reading and will opt to sleep with my NeoAir below my bag.

daddytwosticks
10-13-2011, 07:16
I use my pad outside the bag since I am a restless sleeper. I take the bag with me while I roll and thrash around all night. :)

leaftye
10-13-2011, 16:16
Can you really fit your pad inside your sleeping bag? If you can, I think your sleeping bag is much too wide for you, which makes it heavier and colder.

bigcranky
10-13-2011, 16:48
Can you really fit your pad inside your sleeping bag? If you can, I think your sleeping bag is much too wide for you, which makes it heavier and colder.

Oh yeah, my pad is only twenty inches wide, while my bag is easily 28 or so, which is almost exactly right for my shoulders. The bag is not at all too large, though I could argue that the pad is too narrow (44 inch chest, shoulders hang completely off pad.)

That said, I put my pad under my bag, not inside.

skybrew
10-13-2011, 16:54
I use Big Agnes bags that have a sleeve on the underside of the bag for an air mattress. This works well for me as I'm an active sleeper and I don't roll off the pad. The Big Agnes bags do not have any insulation on the bottom as this is normally compressed by your body weight and provides little insulation - the air mattress provides the insulation. Big Agnes makes 2 types of air mattresses: a regular one and an insulated one (both in various sizes). For temps above 30*F, the regular air mattress works for me. Below 30 I use the insulated one. The NeoAir would work just as well as the BA regular mattress and save a few ounces. I'm a fan of teh integrated mattress-bag Big Agnes system.

Sierra Echo
10-13-2011, 16:57
I sleep with my pad under my sleeping bag. Lately though I have been giving thought to trying out an inflatible pad.
I'm just a bit nervous that I would end up popping the inflatible pad with one of my earrings. That would be a lot of money to waste!

hikerboy57
10-13-2011, 20:07
Ive got a Big Agnes that has a sleeve for the insulated pad. for me its just as good as my bed at home as I move around during the night, and find myself sliding off my pad in the middle of the night when its underneath the bag(which I do in the summer with my Marmot 40deg. bag). the pad generally belongs under the bag, as noted above, to utilize the insulation of both the bag and the pad. The BA has no insulation on the bottom, to help accomodate the pad.