PDA

View Full Version : is november to late to start hiking

shawnofrutland
10-13-2011, 01:02
in november im plan on hike from rt 23in ma and goto port clinton pa
im not worry about a little cold myonly question is about the snow if there will be lot of snow in novemer or if there is i will get away from it heading south

Fireweed
10-13-2011, 06:15
I'll be hiking from North Adams, to Del. water gap starting next week. I'm from Alaska where last night it was 15 degrees. I can hardly wait to get to the warm weather. AT weather is predicting above average temps and rain but up high? Who knows

Migrating Bird
10-13-2011, 06:49
I live in W. Ma just west of the Lee. November can go either way, but expect some cold rainy days with wet snow mixed in and blustery wind. Clear nights into the teens. Highs may get into the 50's but will most likely be in the 40's in the northern portion of your hike. You may get dumped on after the 15th in the northern part of your hike but it most likely will melt in a day or 2 as the ground will not be frozen. FYI, fall colors are peak in our area this week.

Fireweed
10-13-2011, 06:51
Can't wait till Monday! Keep some leaves for me.

Cookerhiker
10-13-2011, 07:18
in november im plan on hike from rt 23in ma and goto port clinton pa
im not worry about a little cold myonly question is about the snow if there will be lot of snow in novemer or if there is i will get away from it heading south

When in November? 1st? 30th? Big difference, not just re. cold/snow but also the shrinking daylight hours.

Something you may not have thought of: I hiked a 45 miles section which is included in your plan - Bear Mountain NY to Pawling - in November and found I was slowed down considerably by the dry slippery freshly-fallen oak leaves. There's something about the tanin in those leaves which makes them very slick, especially when dry. The problem is on the descents - you need to watch your footing very carefully.

Also, check for hunting season.

I think November is a nice time to hike as long as you're prepared. Good luck!

handlebar
10-13-2011, 21:32
PA rifle season for buck starts the Monday after Thanksgiving.

smokeeater908
10-13-2011, 21:38
I'll be hiking a couple of days a week year around in NW Georgia

wornoutboots
10-13-2011, 21:40
just be sure to bring traction gear

Spirit Walker
10-14-2011, 18:01
The ATC website has hunting season information. See:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/Hunting%20Seasons%20Table%20thru%20May%202012.pdf
Basically, it will be deer and/or turkey season along some of the trail - so wear lots of orange.

In PA Nov. tends to be wet. You'll probably run into snow somewhere along the way, so be prepared. Also be prepared for very long nights. It will be dark around 5:00.

shawnofrutland
10-14-2011, 21:07
i thank every one for there post and tips for my hike. the information is helpful i will bring gear for snow and cold and im goto back sure hunter see by wear so thing bright and make sure i no all the dates thank everyone

Panzer1
10-14-2011, 21:12
PA rifle seasoned for buck starts the Monday after Thanksgiving.I would not want to be on the trail during rifle season. For lots of reasons.

Fireweed
10-14-2011, 21:34
Being from Alaska, I kinda get the short daylight thing....:-)